Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

replace wall switch with smart switch

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

emaherx wrote: »
    Yes the in wall switch is wired to replace the switch. The 3 gang switch is wired to an input of the in wall switch, so you can use any old dumb switch and make it work as a smart switch and still a manual switch.

Obviously this new switch will turn on and off the light circuit making some of the functionality of your hue bulbs redundant.

And for a 3 gang switch you need a 3 gang in wall switch if you want to make all of the gangs smart.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll have to work on herself, something like a sonoff tx 3 gang smart switch looks good and seems a way more sensible approach than all that messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭emaherx

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll have to work on herself, something like a sonoff tx 3 gang smart switch looks good and seems a way more sensible approach than all that messing.

Not sure what you mean by messing, there is really not much difference in installing an in wall switch or the Sonoff.

There will be more messing getting Sonoff and hue to work together as they are not part of the same eco system so you'll need to join them with some third party app or service.

Not sure what you mean by messing, there is really not much difference in installing an in wall switch or the Sonoff.

There will be more messing getting Sonoff and hue to work together as they are not part of the same eco system so you'll need to join them with some third party app or service.

Having a 3 gang in wall switch and a 3 gang switch just feels like a lot....particularly when I could just get the lights wired always on, and use the hue dimmer switches I already have. If they looked a bit smarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭emaherx

Having a 3 gang in wall switch and a 3 gang switch just feels like a lot....particularly when I could just get the lights wired always on, and use the hue dimmer switches I already have. If they looked a bit smarter.

Its really not, it's just a small unit installed behind the existing switch. The advantage of this setup is you get to choose your switch style but get the same functionality.

Its really not, it's just a small unit installed behind the existing switch. The advantage of this setup is you get to choose your switch style but get the same functionality.

Ok, thanks. So I need to Google zigbee in-wall smart switch, and find a 3 gang one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi All,

Sorry to thread bump/jump here.

I've only a few remaining non hue lights in the house, the little candle type ones, (I tried the tradfri but they "dont look as nice"), so I'd like to find a "power controller" to control standard bulbs that could fit behind or replace my current in wall light switch (Do have a neutral)

Ideally it would work with the hue app.

I see there are a few options out there and i'm just wondering what people would recommend?

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07LD9TBQZ?ie=UTF8&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=6738&tag=iconn-21&creativeASIN=B07LD9TBQZ&SubscriptionId=%PUB_KEY%
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08FLD1SK4?ie=UTF8&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=6738&tag=iconn08-21&creativeASIN=B08FLD1SK4&SubscriptionId=

Thanks,
    Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Hey anyone installed the shelly dimmer 2 no nueutral and could advise of the wiring. Just gonna try on a one gang one way switch first.

There is only 2 wires going to the switch, live going to common and output to L1. I now how to change a light switch but that's about it so the supplied diagrams don't help me a lot. Thanks

Advertisement