Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving away from Google Apps

• 17-02-2021 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Right now I have myemail@mydomain.com on a legacy Google Apps Account.

myemail@mydomain.com is linked to my Google Play store and my Google Photos.

I'm looking at options for moving my email away from Google. Has anyone done this before?

Will myemail@mydomain.com still work as my google account even when my email has been moved?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What do you mean "move it away from Google"?

Oh, I notice this is months old. I hope it worked for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭lordsheepface

My email is within the Google Eco system. It's integrated the same way an @gmail.com address would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

The only thing that matters is control over the domain. If you control the domain, and change the MX records to point elsewhere, then your email is practically moved. Except for history: if you need to save any existing messages, look into Export your data from Gmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭SilverSideUp

Just a little colour. The first email was sent in 1971. Google launched Gmail in 2004. Google don't own email no more than Toyota own cars so feel free to move your Google provided email address to wherever you like.

Thanks for your replies (I think?)

I am using Google Workspace at present
    https://workspace.google.com/intl/en_ie/

My concern is not my Email. I'm aware I can move my domain away and setup email anywhere else that I want. My concern is the linked Google user accounts. My understanding is that once my domain is moved away from Google Workspace the users lose access to the PLAY, PHOTOS, DRIVE, etc accounts that they use presently with Google.

So I move MYDOMAIN.COM away from Google Workspace and setup email with another provider. I lose access to GMAIL / GOOGLE MAIL for my emails. That's fine. The issue is that all of my users at MYDOMAIN.COM may lose their linked Google Accounts.

So for example user1@mydomain.com may have a Google Photos or a Google drive account linked to the organisations Google Workspace. They may have a PLAY STORE purchase history or linked GOOGLE PAY account etc.

• Advertisement

I have found this which may be of benefit to anyone else who comes across this thread in the future.

https://www.brooksbudhoo.com/2021/03/02/moving-away-from-g-suite-google-workspace/

The TLDR of it all seems to be that you need to setup a new GMAIL account to available of Google Services and setup new Google Pay, Photos, etc.

Advertisement