Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PERSONAL WEATHER STATIONS: Queries and Advice

Comments

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I will try that I am worried it will be damaged though.

It will be fine as long as its not raining or there's no dogs to knock it down
    Just keep an eye on it
    I love simple little experiments like this
    If there is frost all day in that corner, you'll notice a big difference but its not the ideal spot for a weather station in those circumstances as it wouldn't be reflective of the open atmosphere (which is what determines your precipitation type

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

AuntySnow wrote: »
    It will be fine as long as its not raining or there's no dogs to knock it down
    Just keep an eye on it
    I love simple little experiments like this
    If there is frost all day in that corner, you'll notice a big difference but its not the ideal spot for a weather station in those circumstances as it wouldn't be reflective of the open atmosphere (which is what determines your precipitation type

I am not sure my weather station is in the correct place though.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

I got the Brezzer 5 in 1 Weather station for Christmas. Have it all set up and registered with WeatherUnderground so I can check it from my phone. The monitor that comes with the station shows inside and outside temperature, wind speed and direction, rainfall amount and pressure.

I am not sure my weather station is in the correct place though.

It doesn't matter for this experiment as the 'indoors' temp on the console will be the outdoor of wherever you place the console outside and the outside on the console will still be whatever the weather station is still reading
    You can use this method later to check the temp at various points around the garden to compare and to move the station itself if you think you've found a better spot

Yes so my weather station says 5.5c. Whilst everywhere else is around 4. I will do your experiment now.

The dew point is also out of kilter.

• Advertisement

Major alarm bells!

Hmm

Hmmm is this caused by being too close to the ground? I am just not sure what to believe now? It certainly feels colder than 3.5c.

I just don’t know where to put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Hmmm is this caused by being too close to the ground? I am just not sure what to believe now? It certainly feels colder than 3.5c.

I just don’t know where to put it.

It needs to be freely suspended in circulating air. If that chair was sitting outside all the time then it could be colder than the air. As mentioned previously, it needs to be at the same height as the other sensor, with its sensor inlet free from obstructions.

It needs to be freely suspended in circulating air. If that chair was sitting outside all the time then it could be colder than the air. As mentioned previously, it needs to be at the same height as the other sensor, with its sensor inlet free from obstructions.

I can’t do that with a base station. I may relocate my station but there is no good location as there are buildings either side. That location has buildings near it but it is not near my house.

The building “free” land has trees.

At my current location, the station is about 10 feet from the house and 30 feet from the road. So I am not sure if I should move it and if so where.

The high was supposedly 6.3c today which seems too warm.

• Advertisement

That looks like you had it on the flat almost on the ground
    It needs to be 6ft off the ground and sitting up
    What you could do alternatively is suspend a bucket from one of the trees you said was at one end of your garden and sit the console into the bucket
    Preferably a plastic bucket
    If you can borrow a tripod for ease of moving it around the place and suspend the plastic bucket from that all the better

Thinking of relocating my station tomorrow but there is no good location.. I just want to minimise the influence of heat (large peaks on occasion in midday sun).

There are houses on all sides and there is tarmac to the left of the fence.

The site I am moving it to:

- Tarmac to the left of the fence (as of now).
    - About 50 feet from any building (it is 10 feet now).
    - Near a washing line.

Just not sure where to put it because there are obstructions wherever I move it.

You could maybe put it in the farmers field behind your house just fence it well
    Obviously ask the farmer
    Put it to them that you'll provide them with the rain information which will be useful to them
    A lot of farmers are interested in soil temps too,its not too expensive to add that to the station

Moved my weather station. It’s now 200 feet from the road after being 30 feet from the road.

It is 50 feet from my house and is on the north side.

I hope temperatures will correspond now.

Still think my weather station might be slightly over reading, by half a degree or more. This is a slight improvement to what it was saying previously, though I do think the sun still affects it somewhat.

But not as bad as the local station which seems to rise rapidly in any sun.

• Maybe you should look at fitting a sunshield around the sensor, there are several examples made from white plastic plates around the internet that you can make at home.
    Essentially a large hole is cut out of the centre of half a dozen plates that are then spaced about 1-2cm apart and another plate that has not had the hole cut mounted on top and the whole assembly placed over the temperature sensor so air can get to the sensor but the sunlight cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Still think my weather station might be slightly over reading, by half a degree or more. This is a slight improvement to what it was saying previously, though I do think the sun still affects it somewhat.

But not as bad as the local station which seems to rise rapidly in any sun.

I have 3 external temperature sensors outside and never do they match. Close enough, except the one on the ground which is always lower.

I made Stevenson shelters out of old marine ply and one is an instrument box from my yacht with a screen over it and lots of holes drilled

Join Ireland Weather Network

For reference, here's where my Davis vantage Pro 2 is located,in full sunshine at all times and I'd be very confident it's daytime temp in that sun is accurate, photo taken now
    4.4c currently
    The unit is 6 feet above the ground
    The anemometer is 30ft off the ground

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1353008548251381760?s=19

Would an American Weatherlink Live work here?

Would an American Weatherlink Live work here?

Yes
    They're all the same,just ask Davis webchat if the radio channels are the same,I think they are
    Its set up via blue tooth app so no issues there
    For guarantee reasons, you really are better off getting it in the UK though

They're €236 on amazon

• Advertisement

No, they have different frequencies. So presumably I can't use one then?
    https://www.davisinstruments.com/product_documents/weather/spec_sheets/6100_WL-Live_Spec_Sheet.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

For reference, here's where my Davis vantage Pro 2 is located,in full sunshine at all times and I'd be very confident it's daytime temp in that sun is accurate, photo taken now
    4.4c currently
    The unit is 6 feet above the ground
    The anemometer is 30ft off the ground

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1353008548251381760?s=19

Some job. What's the highest gust you've recorded?

No, they have different frequencies. So presumably I can't use one then?
    https://www.davisinstruments.com/product_documents/weather/spec_sheets/6100_WL-Live_Spec_Sheet.pdf

You are out of luck so on that
    If you have a vat registered business that can buy it,that's 20% that can be claimed back assuming it's a business legitimate expense eg a farm or horticulture enterprise

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Some job. What's the highest gust you've recorded?

On that mast,just 111kmh ,its only up with 2 years
    Storm ophelia blew down the last timber one,it was gusting 127 just prior but doubtless would have been higher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

On that mast,just 111kmh ,its only up with 2 years
    Storm ophelia blew down the last timber one,it was gusting 127 just prior but doubtless would have been higher

Its been a quiet Winter on the storm front. Looks good. I'll look in to getting one of them in future.

AuntySnow how did you separate your wind vane? I am having trouble placing it elsewhere due to the cable.

I would love to have it up on my roof separate to the main weather station.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Slightly off topic, but where can I buy a decent quality wet bulb thermometer in Ireland?

I'd rather avoid buying from the UK presently with Brexit etc.

I finally got my weather station online: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ILIMAV3?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

However, it only uploads every 5 minutes (anyone know how to get it to upload onto Weather Wunderground live?).

I finally got my weather station online: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ILIMAV3?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

However, it only uploads every 5 minutes (anyone know how to get it to upload onto Weather Wunderground live?).

Yes you sign up for weather underground live I think
    I did it a while ago but can't remember how (as I use weatherlink now)
    It'll push it to their app for you

• Advertisement

AuntySnow how did you separate your wind vane? I am having trouble placing it elsewhere due to the cable.

I would love to have it up on my roof separate to the main weather station.

The wind vain on the vp2 is on a 30m phone cable
    It plugs into the transmitter unit at the station

Advertisement