Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pier-jumping

Options
  • 08-08-2020 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭

I want to jump off a pier this weekend. As I witter on about a lot, I have terminal cancer. I don’t have a bucket list because it’s too much pressure but recently I was at Doolin pier and I was so envious of all the people cannonballing off it and I cursed not having a swimsuit with me. So I want to do it. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do but was too terrified to. I’m still terrified but I’m DOING it.

I’m in the Dublin area. Does anyone know of piers in greater Dublin that are safeish to jump off? I’ll consider Meath and Wicklow too. I can swim but I’m noodle-armed so I wouldn’t be a very strong swimmer so nothing too choppy. Any other tips?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Not a pier but the Forty Foot at Sandy Cove would be a good place to go for a jump.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

While there's plenty of signs not to do it, I have seen mostly teenagers fire themselves off howth pier.

Water looks manky and full of diesel, but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I can't give specific location advice but as someone who regularly jumps, dives, bombs off my local pier I can confirm its great craic! And definitely brings out the inner child.

Hope you get sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Not a pier but the Forty Foot at Sandy Cove would be a good place to go for a jump.

Is that a nudey place, Emmet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

While there's plenty of signs not to do it, I have seen mostly teenagers fire themselves off howth pier.

Water looks manky and full of diesel, but each to their own.

I’m already fucked healthwise, so no worries there. :pac:

• Advertisement

SeaFields wrote: »
    I can't give specific location advice but as someone who regularly jumps, dives, bombs off my local pier I can confirm its great craic! And definitely brings out the inner child.

Hope you get sorted!

It’ll be cold, won’t it? I should prepare for coldness, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I’m already fucked healthwise, so no worries there. :pac:

Fair enough :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Ah no. This time of year the water is quite nice. It does take a few seconds to get used to it. A quick, short shock is always better than easing in slowly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I don't have any pier suggestions . I'm not very confident in water and don't like cold water but I jumped off a pier in Kerry some years ago with a wetsuit and it was brilliant. I must have done it at least 15 times. The wetsuit kept me warm and made me more bouyant which made me more confident. Thoroughly recommended it, maybe you could borrow one off someone.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Ah no. This time of year the water is quite nice. It does take a few seconds to get used to it. A quick, short shock is always better than easing in slowly!

Okay, that makes me less scared. A lot less scared.

• Advertisement

Is that a nudey place, Emmet?

That’s more of an early morning, elderly, “scene”. Not a pretty sight either.

It’s not the worst in weather like this. No harm in having a “dip” in the water first to get used to it.

Or, like the poster above said, see about a wetsuit.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

That’s more of an early morning, elderly, “scene”. Not a pretty sight either.

I’m sure it’s not, but it does sound quite empowering.

If you find yourself near Loughrea, head straight for the safest place in Ireland to do this, at the Blue Flag bathing place where there are no tides or currents, two piers and a sandy bottom. And it's fully life-guarded, got a great big car park, a shelter for dressing, and best of all, the water is warmer than most of the sea.Worth treating yourself to a night near Loughrea to do this, and if going by public transport it's a pleasant lakeside walk from town.

If you find yourself near Loughrea, head straight for the safest place in Ireland to do this, at the Blue Flag bathing place where there are no tides or currents, two piers and a sandy bottom. And it's fully life-guarded, got a great big car park, a shelter for dressing, and best of all, the water is warmer than most of the sea.Worth treating yourself to a night near Loughrea to do this, and if going by public transport it's a pleasant lakeside walk from town.

I’ll be down that direction in a week or so. Thanks for the tip! I’ll be packing the swimsuit now. :)

KiKi III wrote: »
    I’m sure it’s not, but it does sound quite empowering.

I’ve gone “skinny dipping” a few times, K. It’s a bit of craic but you’re far better served in a swimming pool than a rocky sea shore.

Having to clamber back up onto the rocks, then “gingerly“ make your way along the barnacle, seaweed and sharp rocks is not a very elegant, or empowering sight.

Beaches are fine too but the swimming pool, usually, is a lot warmer so “man things” don’t tend to shrink as much.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I want to jump off a pier this weekend. As I witter on about a lot, I have terminal cancer. I don’t have a bucket list because it’s too much pressure but recently I was at Doolin pier and I was so envious of all the people cannonballing off it and I cursed not having a swimsuit with me. So I want to do it. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do but was too terrified to. I’m still terrified but I’m DOING it.

I’m in the Dublin area. Does anyone know of piers in greater Dublin that are safeish to jump off? I’ll consider Meath and Wicklow too. I can swim but I’m noodle-armed so I wouldn’t be a very strong swimmer so nothing too choppy. Any other tips?

Thanks!

Hook up with some of these lads. They'll help you out if you tell them you want to try it because you're unwell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtG2wLtxXEY

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

If you do the 40 foot let me know. I'll bring my camera and take a shot of you hurtling through the air you can show to your family :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'd jump with you, if I could, best of luck with things

I’ll be down that direction in a week or so. Thanks for the tip! I’ll be packing the swimsuit now. :)

Ask for directions to Long Point beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I remember some of my friends choosing pier jumping as an activity in an adventure centre in Carlingford and the pier there looked quite safe.
    I chose rock pooling...

• Advertisement

Long Point Beach

https://www.thebeachguide.co.uk/republic-of-ireland/county-galway/loughrea-lake.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

If you get as far as loughrea you may as well travel the extra half hour to salthill and take a bounce off the diving board.. not a pier but it's a good oul height. If you want to to stay closer to the capital do as the kids from sherriffer do and jump off the Rosey Hackett bridge into the Liffey!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

40 foot at high tide you can jump from a good height off the rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I fully approve of this thread.

Did this many a time in Carlingford

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Thanks for the reminder about going at high tide, folks. I had totally forgotten about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Darrener

Saw a few kids jumping into the marina off a pier in Greystones earlier

Darrener wrote: »
    Saw a few kids jumping into the marina off a pier in Greystones earlier

A very pretty place too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Aldi have wet suits in stock tomorrow, 25 euros, bargain if you plan on jumping a few times, keep you from freezing.
    Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

gogo wrote: »
    Aldi have wet suits in stock tomorrow, 25 euros, bargain if you plan on jumping a few times, keep you from freezing.
    Best of luck with it!

i use one of these, theyre grand for farting around

• Advertisement

Another dopey question: how close to high tide can you jump off things into water? Like say if I chose the Forty Foot. Is it only in the, say, hour before and after that it would be okay? Or do I have more time than that?

Advertisement