Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Really Scared You As A Child?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

The school at the end of our street.

I had a dream as a young one, I can still remember it now, forty something years later..

In the dream I was walking past the school, when something started to drag me towards the fence, it pulled me up and over the fence and into a darkened room.
    I was then tied to a chair, and could feel that whatever it was that dragged me over the fence coming nearer to me.
    Thankfully I woke up, but even now I can remember how scared I was.
    Hated walking past it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Down escalators- my legs would go to jelly. Partly because when you are 6-7 standing at the top you cannot see the bottom so it is like a big drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Down escalators- my legs would go to jelly. Partly because when you are 6-7 standing at the top you cannot see the bottom so it is like a big drop.

Yes and if you get caught at the bottom they will rip all your skin off.

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I was 8 the time of the Chernobyl disaster and it genuinely scared me. Especially when watching the progress of the radiation cloud across Europe on the news. I later became obsessed with a book called Children of the Dust by Louise Lawrence. It's a teenage novel but is essentially Threads in book form. Yikes.
    Planes not so much but I grew up near Shannon airport and the flight path was over our house. Concorde used to come in regularly in the mid 80s and the noise from it used to terrify me, it was like really bad thunder.
    It flew over once or twice in 2000 when I was going home from work as well and I remember pulling over the car so I could look up at it. The sound brought it all back..that said I would love to have had the chance to go on it.

Yeah I remember watching some hard core documentary about a nuclear war circa 1985 with all sorts of gory special effects. I remember going to bed that night and the sun was setting- brilliant golden hue of a setting sun in the sky but of course it looked just like the special effects from the film and a nuclear warhead going off.

Still not right after it truth be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Butter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Dub Ste wrote: »
    The school at the end of our street.

I had a dream as a young one, I can still remember it now, forty something years later..

In the dream I was walking past the school, when something started to drag me towards the fence, it pulled me up and over the fence and into a darkened room.
    I was then tied to a chair, and could feel that whatever it was that dragged me over the fence coming nearer to me.
    Thankfully I woke up, but even now I can remember how scared I was.
    Hated walking past it every day.

If you ever get the chance you should pick up a book called ‘Summer of Night’ by Dan Simmons. Nice bit of creepy school setting in it.

The tide is turning…

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Banshee
    Salem's lot,
    and finally my ma

Fat on meat. I still have an irrational fear of it. Will go to great pains to scrap off every little morsel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The robots in the six million dollar man, was 5 or 6 at the time. Their faces came off,

Re-watched a lot of that kind of stuff a few years back, realised how poorly done it was,

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

If you ever get the chance you should pick up a book called ‘Summer of Night’ by Dan Simmons. Nice bit of creepy school setting in it.

I'll pass on that if you don#'t mind:D

It still spooks me that I can remember that dream so vividly, cos these days, I can barely remember what I did yesterday.

Another dream I had as a young one, was sat around a campfire, when a pair of hands made out flames came at me and started to strangle me...

Thankfully, don't have these kind of dreams anymore...

• Advertisement

Yester wrote: »
    Yes and if you get caught at the bottom they will rip all your skin off.

Never considered that. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The Yorkshire Ripper 🙄.

In the 70's I assume when the Ripper was in the news, I used to stay at night in my grandmother's house some nights, and walking about 200 meters up the road at night it her house I have memories of absolutely sh1tting it in case I was going to be abducted or killed!

FFS :)

I was frightened about my 'guardian angel' for a small period. I found it quite intrusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Dead people

Marrow fat peas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

My friend's granny, I only met her once and she threatened to beat me to death with a poker and then use it to rip my guts out through my throat! :eek:
    She said she had done it to other children before.

Looking back she was completely off her rocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,496 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Jurassic Park. Left the cinema a quivering mess after the T-rex killed Nedry on the jacks.

X-Files, the episode about The Host, i.e. that fluke thing crawling around in the sewers. Made me afraid to sit on the jacks for fear of my arse being attacked by that thing. Hover pooed for longer than I care to admit.

Yep. I was a wimp back then. Still kinda am.

One of the old Star Trek films- this creature went into this guys ear. I have never looked at woodlouse the same.

Or does anyone rememeber the TV series "V" as in the original? Freaked me right out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Used to go white at the sight of a spider. They don't bother me now at all. I still have a bit of a phobia about ear-wigs and I used to freak out when I'd catch a ladybird. They were fine when they just crawled around on my hand but when they did that sort of convertible car roof thing with their coloured shell so that wings could come out the hairs on the back of my neck would stand up and I'd have to get away from this abomination of an insect. It was like they were morphing into something truly evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Oh Whistle and I'll Come To You My Lad, a spooky old horror starring Michael Hoarden.
    The giant spiders on the Tarzan films. You could get stuck in their webs.
    The original The Fly, when he got caught in the web and the spider was approaching. Help me! Help me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,228 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

The clergy and religion. Growing up in 70's the clergy were everywhere! Priests, nuns Christian brothers and they were all as contrary as fcuk. And telling us shlt that would happen us when we were "bold" or didn't know our prayers or catechism
    And I was an altar boy FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

RAT's, the dirty flea infested furry ones with their sharp teeth, that could jump at your throat and rip it open and even more so when it as dark or you couldn't see then but hear them scurrying about and didn't know which direction they would attack from.

Them and me Da when he was pushed too far by 5 kids when he was trying to sleep. He only lost it twice during about 15 years but f**k me it was scary and you didn't want a repeat ever. Hand prints on my arse for days after, far removed from the snowflakes being raised nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

One of the old Star Trek films- this creature went into this guys ear. I have never looked at woodlouse the same.

Or does anyone rememeber the TV series "V" as in the original? Freaked me right out.

ForcesTV have been showing it back to back with Buck Rodgers the last month, they ain't scary.
    Wrath of Khan is the movie

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ko Chow

We were out for a Sunday walk in Birr when I was a small kid, and a black helicopter (not a Garda helicopter) landed and some detectives got out of it.
    My Mum said one of them had a gun, and we had to leave, at the time it seemed very exciting.
    We found out they were after some Spanish rapist who had attacked a woman, or women, and was on the run.

I didn't know what a rapist was, and it didn't seem to matter, because it surely meant "serial killer". No doubt he'd be after us as potential witnesses. Me, specifically, for some reason. I became genuinely afraid of what I called "The Spanish Lad", and it was often used against me.
    It was "Don't go to the river the Spanish man will catch you" or, "Come in before dark or the Spanish will get you" (there was a mildly racist undertone).

The threat of Santa's Bad List was trivial compared to the certain catastrophe of the Spanish lad ever locating me.

Writing this how, I wonder if there ever really was a Spanish man. Either way, he kept me on the straight and narrow between the ages 7 —10

If it was around 1993 it could have been this fella en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Angl%C3%A9s . Had a memory of a very scary news report about him possibly landing here, after escaping Spain on a ship. Thought I somehow made it up until I saw 'The Alcasser Murders' on Netflix. Whereabouts still unknown you will be glad to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

Going to the doctor.

The TV series of Day Of The Triffids - the sound that the plants made was terrifying.

That right there. Still hear that sound in my nightmares

My grandmother told me (perfectly innocently) that God was everywhere, and saw everything, and you couldn't hide anything from God. I can't remember how old I was, but sub-ten at any rate.

I literally shook even having a pee because I could feel him watching me. And it's very hard to take a bath or shower knowing an omnipotent being has you under surveillance. The thought of sleeping while being watched creeped me out too.

My poor granny has no idea how she scarred my childhood.

Triffids
    To this day they still freak me out.
    Tapping at the windows, crossing barren tarmac buffers, engulfing buildings and nobody could stop them? :eek::eek::eek:

THE NIGHTMARES.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I used to be convinced that my parents removed their rubber masks after I went to bed to revel horrible alien faces. I remember getting up out of bed one night and standing outside the shut living room door for ages trying to muster the courage to open it - half wanting to catch them as aliens revealed, and half hoping they’d heard me outside and put back on their masks. In the end, I went back to bed.

AIDS and nuclear war scared me too. I remember being quite horrified after watching the animation “When The Wind Blows”, particularly the bit where he’s dying from radiation poisoning during the nuclear winter.

On a more practical level, I remember seeing a junky shoplifter smash a glass shelf over the head of an employee in Easons in the Irish Life Mall in Talbot Street, Dublin when I was about 7. I was right beside them with my mum, and there was blood and glass everywhere. That freaked me out, but I never spoke about it. First time I realised that the world wasn’t a safe place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

X files intro and the show in general scared the life out of me. The ghostbusters Cartoon had an episode with a Monster outside kids bedrooms saying "come out and play little Child, come out and play", and it creeped me out for ages. There was also an irish language programme on RTE that had Ghost stories that frightened me. Saw Dracula also when I was small and used to sleep with the light on and the covers completely over my head and a little Air hole to breathe so that the vampires wouldn't suck my blood. Of course this all wasn't helped by growing up in rural Kerry with parents, family and neighbours believing in all that ****e and constantly waffling about ghosts, Monsters, demons, the devil, piseogs and aliens every time they met. They still are like that, but now i just cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,183 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Gerry Adams!

Advertisement