Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lack of motivation ?

• 25-07-2020 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Lots of guys have said they've had no motivation to train at home /during lock down even with equipment available.

Why is this?

Is their training just about being looked at while doing it / showing off / looking at others ?

I've missed the social side and the lasses in yoga pants but have trained just as often.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

I’m definitely one who struggled, the lack of routine really knocked me (and normally I’m very dedicated), I did train but it felt forced, once work was back near normal I rocketed back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Lots of guys have said they've had no motivation to train at home /during lock down even with equipment available.

Why is this?

Is their training just about being looked at while doing it / showing off / looking at others ?

No. For me it was the lack of equipment. I got on with it and tried to do exercises to maximise the training effect insofar as I could with bands and a 25kg sandbag but sometimes doing leg exercises, even using tempos and pauses, with what is little more than an empty bar, it felt a bit pointless.

I trained 3/4 times a week but purely because I'm very, very stubborn. But I still struggled to convince myself to do it again because while it kept everything moving, it's way off what I would normally train.

Other people are motivated by being in a gym environment with people around them working out too. Some people don't have the space to do much.

And besides, motivation is overrated. Most people that train regularly aren't necessarily motivated to train every time that they do. A lot of it is habit. Taking out parts of thst habit or making it more difficult by not having access to equipment makes it a lot more difficult to stay on any sort of track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Why is this?

It's my experience that anybody who was relying on motivation to begin with is someone who was going to stop training regardless (for reasons Alf explained above).

The lockdown is just an easy excuse for many to stop a bit earlier than they would have. Remember that vast majority of people fail at making fitness a habit unfortunately.

People who want to do it will always find a way to get it done, even in non-ideal circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 FaIIcon

I never ever post on social media about fitness, so that isn't a factor. In fact I don't use social media aside from WhatsApp for the most part.

For me I can go for a run etc as normal but strength training, I used to need to go to the gym to get motivated, I guess being away from distractions at home etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Why is this?

I've missed the social side and the lasses in yoga pants but have trained just as often.

Apart from the plank and push ups I cant train at home. I dont have dumbbells, a bench or a bar. No lats pull down, no squat rack. Not even a place I can do pull ups..... apart from cardio i need a gym to train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

ittakestwo wrote: »
    Apart from the plank and push ups I cant train at home. I dont have dumbbells, a bench or a bar. No lats pull down, no squat rack. Not even a place I can do pull ups..... apart from cardio i need a gym to train.

Split squats, back raises, table rows, lateral lunge, single leg RDL, glute bridge, rear delt flies with tin cans.

And dozens of other exercises can all be done at home. Not ideal but better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,799 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There's weights around the place if you want to look hard enough. Early on, starting with Karl Henry's Operation Transformation resistance workouts, I was using bottles of water as resistance weights.
    Replace the word "motivation" with the words "reason why" and that should keep you going.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

flazio wrote: »
    There's weights around the place if you want to look hard enough. Early on, starting with Karl Henry's Operation Transformation resistance workouts, I was using bottles of water as resistance weights.
    Replace the word "motivation" with the words "reason why" and that should keep you going.

There are plenty of things you can do. But the average person that does the workouts on OT is not someone that frequents the gym.

If you do train quite a bit, then very light weights will seem pointless. If an exercise doesn't feel in any way effective, then it can be easy to start doing less and less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Cill94 wrote: »
    Split squats, back raises, table rows, lateral lunge, single leg RDL, glute bridge, rear delt flies with tin cans.

And dozens of other exercises can all be done at home. Not ideal but better than nothing.

No its definitely not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I've struggled a bit with discipline. I always felt the hardest exercise in the gym was turning the doorknob to get in. Once you've that done, its easy get through the workout.
    Its a lot harder to make the seperation when the tv and couch is calling from the next room.

• Advertisement
Advertisement