Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asbestos Attic Hatch

• 23-07-2020 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Was told today that the hatch tile in the garage attic/loft was an asbestos tile. Is this common or easily changed? (By a professional) Worried now that the upstairs attic has the same issue. Just looking for info on this kind of thing. House was built early 70s. ANy recommendations of what kind of professional to get out and look at it? Any help appreciate and sorry for the vagueness of this Im liteally just starting my research on it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Asbestos is safe once it's not broken up into pieces, which can release fibers.
    Any pragmatic builder with common sense can work with it without charging the earth.

That's the sheet or cement type.. Safe unless broken. The asbestos used for insulation is probably not so safe to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Cheers for that. I suppose I just worry that over time it will cause issues so best get it removed. Again the worry is when thats lifted there is a bigger surprise in the attic area

This is as close to as I can see what's up there. Guess it can't be conclusive from this?

Plasterboard id imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

IFF it is an asbestos cement tile, get a mask and some way of lightly spraying the surfaces with a mist of water, like a plastic plant sprayer remove the tile and double bag it in plastic. You can then figure out how to dispose of it, what I have done with small amounts like this is bring it to a place where they deal with this stuff and just hand it in.

Don't put it in the black bin

As noted earlier, in its current state it poses no threat

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

We use these guys in our company.

https://www.ohss.ie/

They will sample and give you a test report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

mad m wrote: »
    We use these guys in our company.

https://www.ohss.ie/

They will sample and give you a test report.

That's what you call using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

antix80 wrote: »
    That's what you call using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

OP did ask for any recommendations for a professional.

mad m wrote: »
    OP did ask for any recommendations for a professional.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone..really appreciated. Ive been told it's not anyway but once the builder comes out I'm sure he can clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks for all the feedback everyone..really appreciated. Ive been told it's not anyway but once the builder comes out I'm sure he can clarify.

It is not and I wouldn't mention it to the builder, no need

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
Advertisement