Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

KLM To early retire the 747

Options
  • 26-03-2020 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

So they had initially intended to retire the 747 fleet in 2021 but news is just starting to filter through that flight KL686 from Mexico City which is currently near Gander will be the last 747 Passenger operation. Flight Radar is the source but i assume they would not put it out there unless it was strongly founded.

As a frequent traveler to Netherlands its a sad day. First the 767 and MD11 and now this. The day of the 747 is truly numbered :(

url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.aviation24.be%2Fairlines%2Fair-france-klm-group%2Fklm-royal-dutch-airlines%2Ftriple-bad-luck-klm-boeing-747-400-ph-bfl%2F&psig=AOvVaw0-RSMC_HBxxTMAGkKTpNdw&ust=1585304607028000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCNjiroj2t-gCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

It says the information is not confirmed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you were doing a retirement now you would not announce it in advance as you absolutely do not want to encourage spotters/avgeeks to try go on the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

KL713 just took off an hour ago heading to Paramaribo, so KL686 certainly isn't the last flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

L1011 wrote: »
    If you were doing a retirement now you would not announce it in advance as you absolutely do not want to encourage spotters/avgeeks to try go on the flight.

It's been reported for nearly two weeks that they're retiring them by the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

JohnC. wrote: »
    It's been reported for nearly two weeks that they're retiring them by the end of the month.

Very sad! Its hard to think of an Aviation world without them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

JohnC. wrote: »

But no specific last flight has been given, which is my point. You don't do anything that will cause people to rush to book it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

First KLM 747 I saw was at SNN in 1976: PH-BUD. They were a frequent sight there on crew training, with all types in the fleet visiting up to at least the 1990s..

EchoIndia wrote: »
    First KLM 747 I saw was at SNN in 1976: PH-BUD. They were a frequent sight there on crew training, with all types in the fleet visiting up to at least the 1990s..

My first was 2007 in Amsterdam, it was the first time i had been up close to so many 747's and MD's. and the Beautiful Northwest colours were a plenty!

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

Beautiful bird. Will be a shame to see it go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Spent many happy hours upstairs on KLM's 747 fleet. Undoubtedly one of the sexiest passenger airplane ever and a shame to see them retired. Always hated flying economy on them though. Spent a nightmarish 12 hour flight in a middle economy seat very recently from JNB to FRA. New A350 is the current long haul favourite.

Rumours BA may be retiring theirs next week as well. Sad sad times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Even the ones that were recently refurbished to have higher number of J seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

BA's plan was to ground all B747's and B777's for 12 weeks. Continue with limited B787 and A350's flying passengers. All depending on where they could fly too.
    Tomorrow there are 7 longhaul passenger flights. 3 B777's, 3 B787's and 1 A350. There will be other B777's flying belly cargo also. The pax B777-200 can cary more freight than the pax B747-400 in the holds and are more fuel efficent.
    The B747's were being retired over the next 4 years. It's wait and see I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I have never managed to get a trip on a 747 and I had planned to go KLM this Nov to NYC to get one [before the current crisis]. Gutting news but alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

I have never managed to get a trip on a 747 and I had planned to go KLM this Nov to NYC to get one [before the current crisis]. Gutting news but alas.

BA still have them (for now at least). Lufthansa also operate the 747-8 which is relatively new so I imagine they will be around for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Nothing beats the 747 upper deck , I don't care how fancy the 787/a380 are.

VG31 wrote: »
    BA still have them (for now at least). Lufthansa also operate the 747-8 which is relatively new so I imagine they will be around for a while yet.

Aye. But I will await the current crisis to be over before we see where we are. Just the combo of KLM and the 747 was a tad more iconic in my mind as first trip. :)

Little to be worrying about though if this is my moan for the day. :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Have been on plenty of 747s (BA, CX, QF, JL, VS, probably others) but never KL. I had a fascination with the half passenger/half freighter version where economy was only halfway down the plane with a solid wall and freight behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Tbh you've probably dodged a disappointment. I was on 2 of their 747s a couple of years ago and they weren't in great shape then, even in business.

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    Have been on plenty of 747s (BA, CX, QF, JL, VS, probably others) but never KL. I had a fascination with the half passenger/half freighter version where economy was only halfway down the plane with a solid wall and freight behind it.

That was one of the options alright. Fascinating bird.
    john boye wrote: »
    Tbh you've probably dodged a disappointment. I was on 2 of their 747s a couple of years ago and they weren't in great shape then, even in business.

I'll never know now! :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Has this actually been confirmed by KLM or is it still just another rumour like the Qantas one?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭x567

Flew to Caracas on one of these 'combis' as my first flight on a 747 - many years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I had a fascination with the half passenger/half freighter version where economy was only halfway down the plane with a solid wall and freight behind it.

I flew to China on an LH Combi. TBH it was not that different although looked a bit odd inside.

I remember being annoyed I was flying with my boss, we were offered money and upgrade to go on a later flight and he refused ..... grrrr

The trip coming home was with Air China , the only way I can describe the service was ' authoritarian '
    It was in the days a screen in the aisle, half way through the film they stopped it and walked through the aircraft ROARING " NO FILM YOU EXERCISE NOW " literally screaming at you !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

....The trip coming home was with Air China , the only way I can describe the service was ' authoritarian '
    It was in the days a screen in the aisle, half way through the film they stopped it and walked through the aircraft ROARING " NO FILM YOU EXERCISE NOW " literally screaming at you !

I recall flying from AMS to BKK once with Air China. I can clearly recall the announcement as we were about to roll:

"Please upright the seat and prepare to take-off!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Comhra wrote: »
    I recall flying from AMS to BKK once with Air China. I can clearly recall the announcement as we were about to roll:

"Please upright the seat and prepare to take-off!"
    Air China? or China Airlines?

China Airlines has the red flower on the tail and is actually taiwanese

I flew to BKK from AMS with them on my honeymoon. Two weeks before the flight they offered us 200 euro upgrade to business. It was nice.....

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

KLM Combi transporting the gee-gees from 3 months back:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

I like the jumbo. Flew cattle class on Barberella, virgin atlantic Gatwick to Orlando. It was the first of the refurbised planes and was great. Got Jersey Girl on the return and it was older and not great. Barberella a nice plane but families with little ones like sardines near the back. Was in Philly one night on the way back to Heathrow and the early flight was cancelled. BA sent a 747 for the later flight and hoovered up everyone. Was nice.

Ive never had the pleasure! Biggest ive been on is a Korean and Aeroflot 777.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭IQO

And it's back - it will do some transportation of medical equipment and other supplies between the United States, Europe and China.

https://twitter.com/ivanconinx/status/1248197162485329920

"To maintain this vital cargo air bridge for the coming six to eight weeks, KLM will specially redeploy Boeing 747 Combi equipment for the service between the Netherlands and China. This air bridge will ensure continuous availability of special cargo capacity, with two weekly flights to Beijing and three weekly flights to Shanghai. This will ensure around 250 tonnes of extra cargo capacity each way per week."

Advertisement