Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryanair and their cancellations

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Why? It's March now. Unless this turns into a full on apocalypse June should be ok to fly.
    Currently it appears as if the situation in Ireland isn't getting out of control. But you can't say the same for other Euro nations.

China put their economy to sleep for 2 months, its only now starting to restart. Hong Kong are still on shutdown with quarantine on all visitors.

We stopped in mid March. So IF things go well we may see a scaling up in late May. But that's a big "if" and assumes things go well.
    I personally don’t think we will see a move towards normality (or at least a semblance of it) until June/July.

P.S. I also had holiday plans in early July. We've mentally discarded those, only had flights booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

I personally we won't see a move towards normality (or at least a semblance of it) until June/July.
    tend to agree. I would very strongly urge anyone thinking of flying to give it a month before any planning at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Phoebas wrote: »
    How far ahead are Ryanair cancelling flights or offering free rebooking?

I've got flights booked for Spain in mid June. I'm obviously not going to be using them and I expect Ryanair will not be back flying by then, but when can I expect my cancellation email?

Things are almost going on a week by week basis now. Its hard to predict what June will be like. I'd be writing off May for flights at least, but a bit early to call June.

We may see some sort of new instant test so you get tested before you fly and if negative off you go, or certain regions or small countries reopening on a phased basis.

This lockdown can't go on indefinitely, so the policy in a month might be to cocoon all over 70's and let everybody else get back to some kind of normal.

Who knows really.

typical holiday destinations like Spain may well be extremely off limits given the awful situation they find themselves in. In fact any nation at all !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Why? It's March now. Unless this turns into a full on apocalypse June should be ok to fly.
    I expect us to go into a period of rolling restrictions and I don't expect either Ireland or Spain to be back to normal business by mid June. I hope to be completely wrong on that.

Even if the airlines have resumed scheduled services by then, I'm not sure how I'd feel about bringing the family on holidays to a nation in mourning .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I have a flight booked to Portugal on 20th Apr. I’ve heard nothing from Ryanair except the general email they sent a couple of weeks with the offer of rescheduling for ‘free’. I expected that I should have heard something by now!

Update:
    I got a text from Ryanair asking me to check my email. I checked my email and there was nothing from them.

What are they playing at?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

I had lanzarote booked for 18th of April . I got my refund text today . Got through eventually to helpline as could not get it to work with online form submission and the customer service agent refunded there and then . Did say could take up to 28 days .

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Roger007, check your spam folder.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

FionnK86 wrote: »
    I applied on Friday last for refund, so will going looking Wednesday at bank A/C.

However, receipt says it'll be sent back to original payment form which is to bank A/C I've closed & switched from since.

Do you think they'll forward to my new A/C? Will ask bank anyway.

good luck with that, 4 flights of mine were cancelled, first 1 was cancelled 2 weeks ago, applied for a refund immediately and was told 5 days processing time and refund within 7 days, the rest cancelled last week and was told 5 days processing time and 20 days for refund.

Was expecting to see refund for first flight in my account by now, nothing,most of the time on the Ryanair website the chat is some fcking online chat bot, you have to say i want to chat to a human to actually get talking to a representative, so eventually after numerous tries i got chatting to a representative who now says its 28 days minimum,when i said that it had initially stated that it was 5 days processing time and 7 days to be refunded for my first flight and i should have seen the refund by now the representative said " the situation is changing daily" im like WTF type of answer is that, mind you id expect nothing less from Ryanair the customer service always been a shambles.

I wouldn't mind the total value of the flights is around €350 and i really could do with that cash right now but i wont hold by breath, probably be lucky to get it back by end of April,shower of cnunts.:mad:

In all fairness refunding probably 10-20 million tickets takes time nobody is set up to to do that.

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »
    In all fairness refunding probably 10-20 million tickets takes time nobody is set up to to do that.

It’s an automated process. Each booking has a reference number to which all the relevant details are attached. A refund could be made in a nanosecond. It’s not as if someone has to sit down and write a cheque.
    There is certainly no technical reason why refunds can’t be made within the 7 days that the law stipulates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Roger_007 wrote: »
    It’s an automated process. Each booking has a reference number to which all the relevant details are attached. A refund could be made in a nanosecond. It’s not as if someone has to sit down and write a cheque.
    There is certainly no technical reason why refunds can’t be made within the 7 days that the law stipulates.

They fly 10 million people a month, doubt their systems can handle the processing of that in a few days. Whats the hrruy on the money? It'll all be returned anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

A more likely scenario is that they've been asked by the bank clearing system not to overload them, some of the banks are struggling to process the number of transactions that are coming into the clearing system, and a massive hit from a company like Ryanair could take the whole system down for a while, which won't exactly be popular, given that they are supposed to be encouraging non cash transactions at the moment.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭bikeman1

My view is, if the system has no difficulty in taking all the bookings and the money from our account, it should have very little problem issuing a refund back.

It's the same except in reverse. There must be very few bookings coming in, so the system is just being set up in reverse.

Also, Ryanair ask for you to apply for the refund, so until someone does that, they don't have to process anything. I don't mind waiting, but blaming the system is not acceptable to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Ryanair are a greedy company no doubt about it but the numbers here must be staggering.

You could be looking at over a Billion euro worth of refunds for this crisis. (Over €7 Billion in revenue last year) I doubt that money is just sitting in a current account. There are processes to go through.

Looking online almost all airlines are facing the same complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭mountai

Ryanair are a greedy company no doubt about it but the numbers here must be staggering.

If it wasnt for Ryanair a return ticket to London would cost you a weeks wages . How are they greedy , no one HAS to buy their product . They happen to be one of the best run companies in the world and we should be proud that they are Irish .

bikeman1 wrote: »
    My view is, if the system has no difficulty in taking all the bookings and the money from our account, it should have very little problem issuing a refund back.

It's the same except in reverse. There must be very few bookings coming in, so the system is just being set up in reverse.

Also, Ryanair ask for you to apply for the refund, so until someone does that, they don't have to process anything. I don't mind waiting, but blaming the system is not acceptable to me!

Except 10 million seats booked could be spread out over 9 months of bookings, whereas the requests of refund of 10 million bookings happened almost overnight. Not the same thing at all

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I apologise if my query has been asked and/or answered already.

Flight is FR flight DUB-EDI on Sunday 5-Apr 12:35, and then return later, and it is one of those few flights that is still operating!!!

We have not received any e-mail about refunds.

Clearly, the five of us can't go.

But the flight is not cancelled.

So what is the story? We can postpone to a future date, with no change fee, I get that.

But no hope of a refund?

I really appreciate any reply.

If the flight isn't booking a refund may be tough but try contacting them and point out DFA advise re travelling to the UK.

If the flight isn't booking a refund may be tough but try contacting them and point out DFA advise re travelling to the UK.

I rang the call centre just there, and was surprised to get through quickly.

If flight not cancelled, then no refund.

I told him we can't go more than 2km from house, he said fill out the refund application form.

That form won't work as it rejects the flight number.

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »

I told him we can't go more than 2km from house, he said fill out the refund application form.

Check the email that you got when you made the original booking. I couldn’t get it to work either but when I checked the original email I discovered that my name had been converted to block capitals. I put the info in exactly as it appeared on the booking confirmation and everything worked fine then.

The only solution is to change the dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭IQO

Did anyone on here already receive a refund for a cancelled flight at all? I'm waiting for 4 refunds at the moment, wondering how long it will take for them to get processed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Im waiting on a refund from Ryanair now after the cancelled flights. Must about 3 weeks now and no refund. Even though I filled out their forms twice. Second time i got an email telling me not to fill them out again.

A friend had return flights booked with Ryanair. His outbound flight was cancelled. The return flight has not been cancelled.
    He has heard nothing. So he couldnt fly out last week and the return flight is coming back to Ireland in a day or so.

If he cant get abroad because his flight was cancelled how on earth is the flight home any use to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

adam88 wrote: »
    Arou entitled to anything if they cancel one part of your booking. They cancelled her return flight and leave her outbound one as is despite dfa advising against travel to Spain. Seems to me like a money making racket.

Is this two separate bookings?
    My understanding is if its the same booking they have to give the option of refund for both.
    I am thinking you likely got separate notification and in spam, promo etc...
    Also did you get the option of re-booking?

I would have thought the EU regulator should be saying if whole flight cancelled the refunds be automatic but it may not be as simple as that.
    I expect it be a nightmare having to go through refunds individually.
    I have a refund (EasyJet) from January and they have removed the automated option from the cancelled flight, i sent an email last week and got no reply. I did not apply for refund as i wanted to use for other flight but when i went to use option not there.
    It's not important as it was a cheap flight...

Aer Lingus is the same. I imagine all airlines are the same to be fair.

Your flight isn’t cancelled, it is still operating. It is you choosing not to travel not them. They in fairness are allowing free changes to later dates, I would suggest selecting a weekend at some time in the future and just going for a weekend away.

In normal circumstances I know of no airline that will allow you a 100% refund just because you are choosing not to fly. Yes this isn’t normal circumstances but they acknowledged that by offering free changes on all flights during the period and full refunds for those cancelled.

Emirates greed is matched by Etihads rip off prices for repatriation flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

You raise an interesting point as Government says we cannot travel.
    This has nothing to do with Airlines, i think there needs be clarity on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

You raise an interesting point as Government says we cannot travel.
    This has nothing to do with Airlines, i think there needs be clarity on this.

The DFA just 'advises' it doesn't instruct. The advise is not to travel unless essential. From the airlines point of view, they are facilitating the essential travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I had flights cancelled via email on 20/3 but no refund yet, refund application form said 5-7 days, so should've been back for 31/3.

I've chatted to Ryanair chat twice, but no update really just that they're busy.

I'd say they're trying to spread out the cash flow but has anyone had similar experience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

They say that they will refund within 28 days.

Advertisement