Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Super Rugby 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Buer wrote: »
    Would love to see Carter go back to where he played the majority of his early pro rugby at 12 and see what himself and Barrett could conjure up. I doubt that will happen though and can see him being used fairly sparingly.

He was a pretty average 12 IMO. I remember thinking what was the fuss about this guy. Once he moved to 10 I understood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Didn't Otere Black move to the Blues to get more game time? And that was before Barrett even moved...

Who should I support

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Whitters22

Who should I support

Chiefs - Coached by Gatland so automatically can't be cheered on.
    Crusaders - Probably the most successful and ROG spent a couple of seasons there.
    Blues - Have been off the pace recently but with Beauden Barrett on board have improved and add in the Carter factor will see neutrals go for them.
    Highlanders - Likely to struggle the most but exciting to see if Nehe Milner-Skudder can find his step again and they have an Irish prop.
    Hurricanes - Know very little other than the Barretts used to play here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Whitters22 wrote: »
    Crusaders - Probably the most successful and ROG spent a couple of seasons there.
    Blues - Have been off the pace recently but with Beauden Barrett on board have improved and add in the Carter factor will see neutrals go for them.
    Highlanders - Likely to struggle the most but exciting to see if Nehe Milner-Skudder can find his step again and they have an Irish prop.

Conan O'Donnell is training with the Crusaders now so there's a chance he might make the squad alongside Oli Jager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭briandebum

Whitters22 wrote: »

Hurricanes still have one Barrett & TJ Perenara! Laumape is a human bowling ball. They're usually not boring any way.

Blues are sleeping giants really, they've been **** for a long time but look like they might returning to form. Rieko Ioane shouldn't be overshadowed by the fly-halfs, hes ridiculously good.

Highlanders have Aaron Smith & nice stadium. To be honest, that's all I really know. Could struggle.

Crusaders will most likely win, they've been the outstanding side of club rugby recently. Probably a notch above Leinster & Saracens.

I actually think Gatland's Chiefs might run them closest. They've a good pack led by Brodie Retallick & you might not like Gatland but he's usually successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

swiwi_ wrote: »
    He was a pretty average 12 IMO. I remember thinking what was the fuss about this guy. Once he moved to 10 I understood.

Never have I been more bitter towards NZ rugby than when I'm told Dan Carter is viewed as pretty underwhelming for the first couple of years of his pro career.

The same year Carter was making his debut at 12 for the All Blacks, we had so few options in our backline we took Neil Doak to the RWC. Doak was 31 and had zero caps. He never got capped either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Who should I support

The Blues of course!!!!!!!! We're going to win it all!!!!!

Official story is that Carter was signed as injury cover for Steven Perofeta. I think the truth is Carter's wife said there is no way he was dragging her back to ChristChurch after seeing the bright lights of Tokyo and Paris (sorry Swiwi).

Also Auckland is just better!!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Buer wrote: »
    The same year Carter was making his debut at 12 for the All Blacks, we had so few options in our backline we took Neil Doak to the RWC. Doak was 31 and had zero caps. He never got capped either.

Pretty sure Neil Doak played for Ireland on 32 occasions.. pretty harsh to say he was uncapped!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

KevinK wrote: »
    Pretty sure Neil Doak played for Ireland on 32 occasions.. pretty harsh to say he was uncapped!

You are technically correct.

Which is the best kind of correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

briandebum wrote: »
    Hurricanes still have one Barrett & TJ Perenara! Laumape is a human bowling ball. They're usually not boring any way.

Blues are sleeping giants really, they've been **** for a long time but look like they might returning to form. Rieko Ioane shouldn't be overshadowed by the fly-halfs, hes ridiculously good.

Highlanders have Aaron Smith & nice stadium. To be honest, that's all I really know. Could struggle.

Crusaders will most likely win, they've been the outstanding side of club rugby recently. Probably a notch above Leinster & Saracens.

I actually think Gatland's Chiefs might run them closest. They've a good pack led by Brodie Retallick & you might not like Gatland but he's usually successful.

Unfortunately no Brodie Retallick - he's on sabbatical/holiday for this season.

I see Tom Taylor was dropped by Pau for leaving the country while still on contract, would be a decent acquisition for a team lacking depth at 10. I wonder if we will see the return of a few more players due to the global situation. I know that there will be less money to throw at marquee signings for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭PMC83

I've heard the games this weekend are being show by SC4, is that available through virgin does anyone know?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,944 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

PMC83 wrote: »
    I've heard the games this weekend are being show by SC4, is that available through virgin does anyone know?

only highlights as far as i can see

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/super-rugby-aotearoa-tv-channel-18381968

Is anyone else getting excited at the prospect of live rugby?

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting excited at the prospect of live rugby?

fcuk yeah !!!!!

Going to support the chiefs. I couldn't go for the crusaders as they're favourites. Picking a team likely to win seems a bit cheap, and I get enough of that as a Leinster supporter. I actually don't hate Gatland so having him at helm will add some familiarity. Damien McKenzie is a joy to watch. And crucially I like the jersey.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think I saw somewhere on Twitter that Sky are doing 10am replays?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Going to support the chiefs. I couldn't go for the crusaders as they're favourites. Picking a team likely to win seems a bit cheap, and I get enough of that as a Leinster supporter. I actually don't hate Gatland so having him at helm will add some familiarity. Damien McKenzie is a joy to watch. And crucially I like the jersey.

Good choice, here's a nice preview:

https://www.superrugby.co.nz/news/team-preview-the-chiefs-2/

Here's hoping the Canes make Beauden regret selling his soul and becoming a JAFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Good to have some rugby back. Never got into Super Rugby. Now's my chance.

Astonishing achievement by NZ to get to "virus free" stage.

Is there anything to play for so to speak? Or is this a stand-alone NZ tournament?

• Advertisement

Is there anything to play for so to speak? Or is this a stand-alone NZ tournament?

Pride and bragging rights. Thats it.

Edit : actually they're also playing for the right to be called the best club side in the world at the moment. After all, no one else is playing :D

Just like the NFL World Champions!
    Might be the only rugby played this year.
    i can hear Gatland now "2020 World Champions"

Just like the NFL World Champions!
    Might be the only rugby played this year.

Australia are going to do a Super Rugby AU next month starting in the 3rd.

But everyone knows the NZ derbies are the only games anyone really cares about in Super Rugby in the regular league anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,954 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

But everyone knows the NZ derbies are the only games anyone really cares about in Super Rugby in the regular league anyways.

Is the only way to watch this sky sports?

oh! thats mad!

Is the only way to watch this sky sports?

Yeah Sky Sports are the only ones showing it. Showing them live and then on repeat at 10am for anyone who isn't bothered waking up for them!

Pulse Energy Highlanders v Chiefs, Saturday 13 June, Forsyth Barr Stadium Dunedin

1. Ayden Johnstone

2. Ash Dixon (C)

3. Siate Tokolahi

4. Paripari Parkinson

5. Josh Dickson

6. Shannon Frizell

7. Dillon Hunt

8. Marino Mikaele Tu’u

9. Aaron Smith

10. Josh Ioane

11. Jona Nareki

12. Patelesio Tomkinson

13. Rob Thompson

14. Sam Gilbert

15. Mitch Hunt

RESERVES

16. Liam Coltman

17. Daniel Lienert-Brown

18. Jeff Thwaites

19. Manaaki Selby-Rickit

20. Teariki Ben-Nicholas

21. Kayne Hammington

22. Teihorangi Walden

23. Vilimoni Koroi

Chiefs: Damian McKenzie, Shaun Stevenson, Quinn Tupaea, Anton Lienert-Brown, Sean Wainui, Kaleb Trask, Brad Weber (c), Pita Gus Sowakula, Lachlan Boshier, Luke Jacobson, Tupou Vaa’i, Mitchell Brown, Nepo Laulala, Samisoni Taukei’aho, Aidan Ross. Reserves: Bradley Slater, Ryan Coxon, Ross Geldenhuys, Naitoa Ah Kuoi, Dylan Nel, Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, Aaron Cruden, Etene Nanai-Seturo

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Will this be on Rugby Pass, for those overseas?

• Advertisement

Will this be on Rugby Pass, for those overseas?

https://watch.rugbypass.com/schedule

Seems to be anyway

Advertisement