Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

This is a thread about the 2020 Six Nations, formerly the Five Nations

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i think italys big goal this year will be to reduce their overall points difference, and be challenging for LBPs in a couple of games.

No harm in Parisse taking a back seat (his legs are gone) but i think it will be a while before Italy produce a player of his standard and career.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Id think Argentina probably played more of a role in his rugby development. Think he moved to Italy the year before he won his 1st cap at 18.

Conor O'Shea talked allot about developing the game in Italy. His greatest gift to Italy was Jake Polledri...actually i think he was already playing for Italy u20s.

Will they ever be competitive in the 6N? Certainly not without the Argentinian and Italy qualified players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I say it every year, but it would be nice if France could be competitive for a change. An annual tri-nations between England, Ireland and Wales, with the rest making up the numbers is just not quite as interesting. A win in Paris vs the English would be a good start.

It would be great to have 4 genuine 6 nations title contenders in the one season

Since it began in 2000 I can't ever recall a year where there was more than 3 strong sides at a given time. Italy and Scotland have never been contenders, while Wales were relatively poor from 2000-2004 and 2006-2007, England were relatively poor from 2005-2010, France relatively poor from 2011-

Ireland in fairness have been definitely the most consistent side throughout with only an odd off season

Will they ever be competitive in the 6N? Certainly not without the Argentinian and Italy qualified players.

You never know I suppose

The clubs used to be pure whipping boys in Europe but Treviso in particular have really become a decent side.

Like with anything they could just stumble across a golden generation some time.

the greatest team to ever play rugby
    https://www.the42.ie/eddie-jones-greatest-4973421-Jan2020/

Brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭fitz

Brilliant

Guff like that would make a win by France in their opener even more delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

fitz wrote: »
    Guff like that would make a win by France in their opener even more delicious.

Italy beating them would be even better.

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Italy beating them would be even better.

That's not rugby mate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Looks like the Billy V and friends team will be missing Billy V.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Brilliant

I remember being in a bar in Kyoto watching that game, fervently cheering on the Tans (the Kiwis in the bar were their usual chirpy selves), and then I was listening to that yesterday and I felt all dirty.

Bleugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I remember being in a bar in Kyoto watching that game, fervently cheering on the Tans (the Kiwis in the bar were their usual chirpy selves), and then I was listening to that yesterday and I felt all dirty.

Bleugh.

That's what birds do, they chirp

The Dominant Tackle stat are back

and the new
    Ruck and turnover locations stats
    Visits to the 22
    Kick predictor
    & Power game stat
    "this stat determines the direct impact of a team dominating particular action areas, assessing its effectiveness at reaching and getting over the gain line, producing dominant tackles, and creating line breaks."

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/2020/01/22/aws-launches-five-new-stats-to-bring-fans-closer-to-the-guinness-six-nations-action/

Not really a fan of any of these "developments".
    But at least its a step away from the moronic commentary we used to be subjected to e.g Nugent "& now its Irelands turn to attack"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I think the bookies have France very over priced at 7/1 And they are my pick to win the 6 nations but no grand slam. Having Ireland and England in Paris is a big help, as is having England up first.

England losing Billy V is huge because they have nobody to replace him that will give the back row the same balance. They are also missing slade and the midfield
    Options are limited a bit.

France have some serious talent and the ability to rack up big scores, the question is how good their Defense is gonna be. Penaud or vakatawa for top try scorer me thinks.

Wales are an unknown quantity with their new coaching ticket so they will
    Probably spring some surprises.

If Johnny sexton can last the entire competition then we have a chance, but I’m not confident that he can, or that his understudy is good enough yet.

Gonna be interesting.

I have France at 12/1 to win the competition.

I just think the squad are a little too young yet to be consistent over five games, and could be turned over by a free flowing Scotland if they had an off day....while wakes away could be difficult too.

But France have ****ed up twice in a row versus Wales now, and I think they will be foaming at the mouth to get at them again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

For real though can we fix the title

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

sydthebeat wrote: »

I just think the squad are a little too young yet to be consistent over five games, and could be turned over by a free flowing Scotland if they had an off day....while wakes away could be difficult too.

But France have ****ed up twice in a row versus Wales now, and I think they will be foaming at the mouth to get at them again

It will be interesting to see how quickly they adjust to their new defence. Things often get worse before getting better when you bring in a new defensive coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Bazzo wrote: »
    For real though can we fix the title
    Can't thank this post enough.

Edit: Have created a poll to back this request up.

I think they're getting England at the worst time

Very inexperienced side which is more likely to grow as the tournament progresses. I could see them winning their last 4, they owe Wales one, and I think Scotland are going to be a complete non-entity

It just has to be an England tournament win, and most likely the slam, they're in a far better and more assured place at the present moment than every other side

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

jr86 wrote: »
    I think they're getting England at the worst time

Very inexperienced side which is more likely to grow as the tournament progresses. I could see them winning their last 4, they owe Wales one, and I think Scotland are going to be a complete non-entity

It just has to be an England tournament win, and most likely the slam, they're in a far better and more assured place at the present moment than every other side

You’d have to wonder how much the fall out of the Saracens debacle will affect them. There seems to be a lot of animosity between them and the other clubs. Also not having Billy V has badly affected them before, they’re a very different team with him playing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

For me Wales are the unknown, which for many might think is daft, when you consider they are the defending 6N and Grand Slam champions.

Wayne Pivac is the ultimate 360 degrees from Warren Gatland. While the latter wanted his team to play a very attritional game, win the collisions with very little guile or creativity, the former Scarlets coach, has a far different philosophy to his predecessor. Pivac wants his teams to play high tempo, quick taps from penalties, more offloads, and in general will put more emphasis on skill and playing a more expansive, attacking game.

IMO outside of Ireland, I'm most interested in the transition of Wales' approach. What do other posters think about how Wales should approach the 2020 6N? Personally the Pivac way is the right way, and it will be most interesting in how their game develops throughout the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If France were 4 from 4 going to Twickenham, maybe.
    Going to Twickenham on Week 1 is going to be a loss and they're not going to compete from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

Going to Twickenham on Week 1 is going to be a loss and they're not going to compete from there.

Why have France agreed to play their home game V England in Twickenham?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭28064212

France don't go to Twickenham at all

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ah fup it anyway! :D

stephen_n wrote: »
    You’d have to wonder how much the fall out of the Saracens debacle will affect them. There seems to be a lot of animosity between them and the other clubs. Also not having Billy V has badly affected them before, they’re a very different team with him playing.

They have won the championship without Vunipola before although I do agree it'll be a blow to them

However France are picking a very inexperienced side, Wales have a new coach, their clubs are struggling, the two 'big guns' away and a French side coming to Cardiff who will certainly not be lacking in motivation. Ireland traditionally always struggle after a world cup year and again have a new unproven coach at the helm, and are coming on the back of a poor season

England have both the 'big guns' at home and they get France at the best time also. They've the most continuity from the world cup. The saracens thing might have an effect but all the Sarries guys are in good form anyway so I don't think it'll be a huge issue. These things can tend to actually galvanise teams anyway

interestingly the last 4 six nations after a world cup year have had a grand slam winner. I'd expect england to continue the trend, the quality of the tournament is always that bit poorer in post-RWC years due to teams rebuilding and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭swiwi_

500816.jpg

Spot the lad with "Gallic flair"

disappointed with Andys boring tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭scott1974

swiwi_ wrote: »
    500816.jpg

Spot the lad with "Gallic flair"

Nothing says "Jouer, Jouer" like a pair of pristine trainers.... France by 100!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Russell looks to have fallenen out with Scotland

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51222874

Advertisement