Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disney's Mulan - Live Action.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

It will be €21.99 here in Ireland from the 4th of September.

I’ll be waiting for it to land on the paid for platform. I don’t really have that much interest in it and will only watch out of curiosity.

Bond on the other hand is a rental for me

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It will more than likely drop on non extra premium Disney+ for Christmas anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭ThePott

Someone on Reddit is alleging that if you do 'rent' it from Disney once the film is available to everyone you will get complimentary access to another premiere film.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

That's not as bad as the $30 that was being floated about earlier. I share my Disney sub with my brother, so this might actually work out at a fair price...

ThePott wrote: »
    Someone on Reddit is alleging that if you do 'rent' it from Disney once the film is available to everyone you will get complimentary access to another premiere film.

This is Disney. That absolutely will not happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭ThePott

Probably not but I could see them giving a film that's out of cinemas to people a month or a week before it goes to Disney+ in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cassbag90

I wont be paying that to watch it at home anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 84,957 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

For Disney + subscribers?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    For Disney + subscribers?

Yes on top of your sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,957 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yes on top of your sub.

:eek:

I'll pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Disney+ my ass, more like Disney−

:pac:

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    :eek:

I'll pass

It will be on Disney+ on the 4th of December so I can wait 3 months to watch it then with my normal sub and not pay anything extra for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭satguy

People paid for Disney+ thinking they would have access to all this.

Netflix were looking at Disney+ as their biggest competitor, the "up and coming" new kid on the block,, Not any more. All Disney have done is shoot themselves in the foot,, and drive people into the waiting arms of the pirates.

An own goal ??

BTW, great movie !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Regarding piracy, yeah, this didn't help but, speaking as someone who subscribed, I didn't really think that this film would have come out now free. I assumed that it would come out around Christmas as part of the subscription and maybe early for an additional fee. Sky has being doing that with movies and sports for decades.

I am surprised at the cost though. Thought it would have been about 15 euro. That price is a bit steep. Steep enough for me to wait anyway.

Although I am hearing good things about it and what a cast! I'm certainly looking forward to it and I can understand their reasoning behind this but I'll wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Finished it there, only parts I liked were the few references to the animated version. Calling something a reference in an adaptation might seem weird, but this seem more like a knock off than an adaptation. Like it could have been made by someone else, and you'd be wondering would Disney sue.

I liked when the general (spoiler for a joke)
    listing off crimes and the punishments which is mostly death until he get's to the last one which is expulsion, expulsion and dishonour a lot of dishonour

Regular kind of spoiler but just real basic plot points.
    The training scenes are there but extended and without the songs, and is the most consistent to the original but a little rearranged with chi added in. The big battle is very much like any Chinese epic movie battle before it with a similar conclusion to the animated, and then you get the fight on the roof at the end. With a redemption bit.

and then there's all the chi and chi witch/warrior stuff.

Has hit the usual "alternative" sources this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

satguy wrote: »
    People paid for Disney+ thinking they would have access to all this.

Netflix were looking at Disney+ as their biggest competitor, the "up and coming" new kid on the block,, Not any more. All Disney have done is shoot themselves in the foot,, and drive people into the waiting arms of the pirates.

An own goal ??

BTW, great movie !!

Movies need to be released. Also movies need to make money. Obviously with restrictions, it’s difficult to have a worldwide release in cinemas and still make money. Mulan was never planned as a Disney+ release. It had to make its money at the box office, which just won’t happen now. So putting it on Disney+ (At an additional optional cost) is the next best thing.

I fully understand why they are doing this, this was supposed to be one of the biggest movies of the year so Disney trying to recoup some funds back by charging to watch makes business sense. I wonder if it would have had the same backlash if they released it on iTunes, Amazon Prime to buy, google store first then release on Disney+ then in December as is the plan?

I’m expecting the same with Black Widow tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

I don't think the issue is that Disney is charging extra for Mulan on top of a plus subscription. As previously mentioned it was never meant to go to Disney + (at least not right away), it was supposed to be released in cinemas. The problem is, how much they're charging. It's priced as as if you're watching it in the cinema. You're not.

Hmm I mean yeah it can be considered pricey. €15-18 would be better pricing point. Maybe this one is a test to see how much they can get away with charging. If it doesn’t yield a result then the next one might come in at a slightly under the €21. I suppose it’s what you think is good value too, I don’t particularly like the cinema, people don’t know how to be quiet and actually watch the movie and not mess on the phone. So for the right movie I’d prob pay €21 just to watch it in the comfort of my own home. 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I don't think the issue is that Disney is charging extra for Mulan on top of a plus subscription. As previously mentioned it was never meant to go to Disney + (at least not right away), it was supposed to be released in cinemas. The problem is, how much they're charging. It's priced as as if you're watching it in the cinema. You're not.

If you've a family with small children, €21 is surely much cheaper than a trip to the cinema and all that that entails, not to mention you get to keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

FunLover18 wrote: »
    If you've a family with small children, €21 is surely much cheaper than a trip to the cinema and all that that entails, not to mention you get to keep it.

Tbf, watching it at home isn't the same experience as watching in the cinema so you can't price them the same.

Anyways, I watched it today, and it's not good. Animated version is a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

titan18 wrote: »
    Tbf, watching it at home isn't the same experience as watching in the cinema so you can't price them the same.

Anyways, I watched it today, and it's not good. Animated version is a lot better.

That's why they're not priced the same. €21 would get you 2 adult tickets at the cinema not including food, a trip for a family with kids would cost up to €50 and that's to see the film once. I'm sharing an account with two other friends so it would work out €7 each if we were to get it which is still cheaper than the cinema and a brand new DVD/blu ray release.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it seems like the Mouse has no scruples when it comes to that lovely Chinese mula, between the lead actress supporting the HK police and that the movie has connections to the region of China where the Uyghur concentration camps are, it seems to be getting calls for a boycott

https://twitter.com/BethanyAllenEbr/status/1302966333475348483

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

People here all talking about avoiding the movie because of the cost, of because of China, when the real reason to avoid the movie is because it is terrible.

Firstly, there is no character growth.
    Mulan is magic from the start, a unnatural gymnastic fighting machine. She supposedly represses her Chi for a while (but not really, remember how she caught all of the teacups at the matchmakers house), only to open up to it and finally be able to carry the buckets up the hill (yes, that takes Chi, not just cardio and practice). But then, in very nearly the next scene, she is told by the villain that she is actually still holding back her Chi, so she just stops doing it (again). This involves dumping all of her armor, which you would think would make her much more vulnerable, but doesn't so that's ok I guess.
    Her father goes trough a completely random sudden change of completely encouraging her all right up to loosing the plot when she questions his drafting.

The actions scenes are woeful.
    They manage to both be overdone and yet boring. Like a cross between Naruto and Bollywood, but also super cheap looking. Plenty of physically impossible stunts (jump kicking spears and arrow sin mid air), but with an insane amount of cuts making everything super floaty.
    Then there is stuff like when bad guys are bombing the entrenched soldiers and Mulan has the time to gather helmets (pretty much in front of the bad guys), then go around all the way behind them (all without them noticing the only person on horseback, with a bright red flowing robe and black hair)and set up the trap with the avalanche. They could have easily choreographed and arranged that scene so much more believable but instead it is lazily played out with contrivances and conveniences.

I don't care what they left out of the animated movie. I don't care that there is no songs (I don't like musicals anyway) or that they got rid of Mushu, but they replaced them with nothing.
    The phoenix could be written out entirely with no changes, the story beats and acting are so dry and boring, even when they are ridiculously melodramatic like when the witch sacrifices herself for Mulan (lucky the bad guy didn't have a second arrow :rolleyes:).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Adding to the **** Disney has with this.

There's a thank you at the end to the Xinjiang government security agency, Xinjiang being the provence with the Uighurs "reeducation camps".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

watched this at the weekend with the Kids, they loved it, me, eh, not so much.

Its a film that doesnt know what it wants to be. There's shades of crouching tiger in the wirework, but the violence is toned down to (what i would consider) slightly high for disney levels.

The really Jarring takeaway for me, is that watching this on a high quality home tv, is that you can really see the 'fakeness' of the sets - for example, her home village looks exactly like something you'd find at a disney theme park, with fake old wood etc. - Its hard to describe, but when you notice it, you can't unsee it. Also, theres a phoenix in it, that looks like it was added in last minute, so poorly is the shot composition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

watched this at the weekend with the Kids, they loved it, me, eh, not so much.

Its a film that doesnt know what it wants to be. There's shades of crouching tiger in the wirework, but the violence is toned down to (what i would consider) slightly high for disney levels.

The really Jarring takeaway for me, is that watching this on a high quality home tv, is that you can really see the 'fakeness' of the sets - for example, her home village looks exactly like something you'd find at a disney theme park, with fake old wood etc. - Its hard to describe, but when you notice it, you can't unsee it. Also, theres a phoenix in it, that looks like it was added in last minute, so poorly is the shot composition.
    If you like supporting the Communist Dictatorship in China, then please spend your money, on watching Mulan.

To make Mulan, Disney worked with four propaganda departments in the Chinese region of Xinjiang, the site of a genocide against Muslims, and the Xinjiang public security bureau. This is a horrific. Here's my article on the subject, and a thread on why.https://t.co/jlbv7QusCb

https://www.slashfilm.com/disney-backlash-mulan-credits-ccp-coronavirus/

The actress playing Mulan, Chinese-born dual-American citizen Liu Yifei, threw herself into the midst of the Hong Kong conflict by echoing support for the CCP and Hong Kong police’s suppression of pro-democracy protesters last year. Posting on social media in August 2019, she said, “I support the Hong Kong police.

https://spectator.org/mulan-boycott-chinese-communist-party/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

If you like supporting the Communist Dictatorship in China, then please spend your money, on watching Mulan.

I already spend my money on Chinese computer, Chinese mobile phone, Chinese internet router, Chinese watch, Chinese camera, Chinese bike, Chinese parts supplied car, Chinese shoes, Chinese drill etc.. I feel bad with every shopping that I am supporting the Communist Dictatorship in China but there is no other products available.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Seems like the movie is a total flop, didn't get any traction in china, they could be in the hole for between one and two hundred million $. Given that as live actions go it was one that was anticipated that's pretty bad. The funniest barb I saw was that they turned an interesting Band of Brothers movie into a generic Captain Marvel

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I remember reading the results of one of Disney’s Park questionnaires last year. These are frequently deployed in the theme parks to gauge visitor interest in potential character themed attractions. This specific survey was on the popularity of their extensive list of princesses. Mulan came 14th.

I think Disney suspected they’d a potential box office bomb on their hands even before the pandemic. The original flopped in China and this would be a hard sell. They were super quick with the Disney plus option, unlike say Black Widow. There’s the law of diminishing returns for these live action as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement