Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,409 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Chris Pratt challenged Batista to a wrestling match while on ambien

I saw that. Does Chris Pratt have any amateur wrestling background ? I ask that because while big Dave is a big lad and would clearly win in a power game, in a wrestling match he wouldn’t be all that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I wonder if Owen Hart hadn't died how he would be though of today, There seemed to be a nasty side to his ribs as well but since he died tragically that side is now talked about as him just being a fun guy and his ribs were done in jest. The whole not apologizing to Austin after he damaged his neck shows him up for me.

Yeah I agree.
    That whole Austin thing casts a shadow. Austin told him twice to drop to his knees and not his ass when planning the match. I know Austin never forgave him. How could he.

The best story I have ever heard about Owen that sums up him personally is ... say he was in the Mariot hotel in New York. He wouldn't give the room key back at reception. So when he was wrestling in New York again he would walk into the hotel, no reservation, walk up to that room and see if anyone was inside. If not he would spend the night there. How hungry is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,808 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This led to The Rock noting that he regrets not having a longer program with Booker T.

“Thank you, brother. I do too actually. One of my biggest regrets was not having a long run w Book. He was one of my fav workers and the best pure athlete I’ve ever wrestled. Fluid, sharp, believable movements and work style. I always say his moves had a rare swagger.”

Their feud in 2001 saw Booker T drop the WCW Title to The Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ye I think a lot about Owen may have been mythologised over the last 20 odd years due to the tragic way he died.

No one is going to say a bad thing about someone who dies like that.

The best story I have ever heard about Owen that sums up him personally is ... say he was in the Mariot hotel in New York. He wouldn't give the room key back at reception. So when he was wrestling in New York again he would walk into the hotel, no reservation, walk up to that room and see if anyone was inside. If not he would spend the night there. How hungry is that.

Sounds like that hotel has some inept management. Or it's not a true story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Ye I think a lot about Owen may have been mythologised over the last 20 odd years due to the tragic way he died.

No one is going to say a bad thing about someone who dies like that.

The stories about Owen didn't change to positive after he died. He was always talked about fondly, before he died I remember reading about his ribs and not being able to understand how someone who would act the a$$hole like that would be so beloved. Ribbing in wrestling is weird, it's always been harsh and the sort of thing that seems only to be accepted by those in the "in". Now is a different time though.

Weird to think that Austin did the exact same thing to Chono in Japan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I saw that. Does Chris Pratt have any amateur wrestling background ? I ask that because while big Dave is a big lad and would clearly win in a power game, in a wrestling match he wouldn’t be all that great.

Definitely wrestled in high school at least.

The way Owen died means you can't say anything negative about him. Owen was a great talent but he wasn't a saint that he has been portrayed either since is horrible death.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,409 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The stories about Owen didn't change to positive after he died. He was always talked about fondly, before he died I remember reading about his ribs and not being able to understand how someone who would act the a$$hole like that would be so beloved. Ribbing in wrestling is weird, it's always been harsh and the sort of thing that seems only to be accepted by those in the "in". Now is a different time though.

Weird to think that Austin did the exact same thing to Chono in Japan though.

Which is probably why he was so insistent for Owen to not do the piledriver they way he did it. I agree that Owen hart wasn’t canonised after his death, and was always seen as a nice guy, but that botch on Austin and his subsequent actions weren’t his best moments. I can absolutely understand why Austin never wanted to work with him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Which is probably why he was so insistent for Owen to not do the piledriver they way he did it.

i've heard Austin give so many variations of the story i don't know what to think tbh. the last i remember was in, i think, the a&e biography where it changed from him insisting to simply asking was it knees or butt he was dropping to. obviously he puthis life in Owens hands and and Owen let him down badly. Never even called to check on him afterwards despite Bret pulling him on it.

I read somewhere that he asked JR often about it when JR was checking in on Austin but really was crazy he didn't apologise.

i can't remember the follow up interactions once they brought out the Owen 3:16 - I just broke your neck though.

Bayley and commentator Michael Cole have had a back-and-forth history for some time now, with the former SmackDown Women’s Champion even trying to get Cole into the ring and in a match at various points. In a new interview, Bayley stated that she’s still determined to make that bout happen.

Speaking with Metro’s Alistair McGeorge, Bayley said that she would love to see their feud end with the two facing off in an official match, and she promised that she’d make it happen.

“Oh, I will make it happen,” said Bayley. “Don’t even worry about! It’ll happen.”

Source Wrestlezone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

i've heard Austin give so many variations of the story i don't know what to think tbh. the last i remember was in, i think, the a&e biography where it changed from him insisting to simply asking was it knees or butt he was dropping to. obviously he puthis life in Owens hands and and Owen let him down badly. Never even called to check on him afterwards despite Bret pulling him on it.

I read somewhere that he asked JR often about it when JR was checking in on Austin but really was crazy he didn't apologise.

i can't remember the follow up interactions once they brought out the Owen 3:16 - I just broke your neck though.

Yeah heard he never apologised.

We'll probably never know the truth. Some say Owen simply forgot what Austin said about no ass bump, maybe Owen was careless with Austin as at the time he was being groomed or maybe he full on tried to fu*k him up. Who knows.

That said, as good as Owen was, and I understand who am I to say this... but why the f**k was he doing a sitout tombstone?
    Regular tombstone = guy giving it makes sure (or at least tries to) make sure their head is above their knees. You can also arch yourself to create extra distance.
    Sitout pulldriver = dangerous. But at least the guy taking it can push off the others thighs. Guy giving it can also go in a "9 to 1" position and not a "9 to 12" to create further distance.
    There's no posting on a sitout tombstone.

But it has to be said that Owen did the exact same spot at wm10 with bret..... and Owen went to his knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

We'll probably never know the truth. Some say Owen simply forgot what Austin said about no ass bump, maybe Owen was careless with Austin as at the time he was being groomed or maybe he full on tried to fu*k him up. Who knows.

That said, as good as Owen was, and I understand who am I to say this... but why the f**k was he doing a sitout tombstone?
    Regular tombstone = guy giving it makes sure (or at least tries to) make sure their head is above their knees. You can also arch yourself to create extra distance.
    Sitout pulldriver = dangerous. But at least the guy taking it can push off the others thighs. Guy giving it can also go in a "9 to 1" position and not a "9 to 12" to create further distance.

But it has to be said that Owen did the exact same spot at wm10 with bret..... and Owen went to his knees.

For all we know he got grief for going to his knees at WM as its Takers move. Who knows. Owen never came a cross as the type to intentionally hurt someone, esp Austin who by all accounts had a great relationship with the Harts at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

https://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/tay-conti-says-she-didnt-know-what-wrestling-was-she-when-was-offered-a-wwe-tryout-more

Maybe Conti isn't using the right words (more than likely the case given she seems fine with it) but screaming in someone's face doesn't seem cool to me.

At the time Conti was signed it's not like Bayley would have been a big, respected, name either.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I suspect it might have been a "drill instructor" style of coaching - I saw a lot of it at under 10's GAA back in the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Normal sitdown piledrivers are mostly an illusion, the head comes forward and doesn't touch the ground when done properly. The person performing the move leans back just before the point of impact which tilts the person receiving the move forward to safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Personally, I don't think Owen apologised because he was so embarrassed about it. Would be admitting his mistake. For a Hart to admit to hurting someone.....

Never really rated Owen to be honest. Basically the same match every time. Terrible on the mic until he became a bit of a clown character aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I think that's a hat-trick of drink driving arrests for him now...

https://twitter.com/nodqdotcom/status/1412409391261831173

What an absolute gimp.

Hes a fool. He just got back from serious injury and to blow it again, if it was anyone else he'd be gone.

But hes related to Roman and Dwayne so he will get a suspension at best.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »

What an absolute gimp.
    The guy has a problem....and to think RVD was suspended and stripped of the title over weed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

J. Marston wrote: »

What an absolute gimp.

It’s quite unbelievable.. and wwe will probably respond with some copy paste statement saying what he does in his his time isn’t our business etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

You can't even forgive or forget him doing it once let alone 3 times. All it takes is one time for something horrendous and totally avoidable to happen. WTAF is wrong with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Don Muraco said on his podcast and has now been confirmed by PWInsider that Terry Funk is living in an assisted living facility for those with dementia :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭ThePott

Jimmy is a tool. He needs help and sanctions from WWE, as long as he's not facing consequences he's not gonna get help.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Don Muraco said on his podcast and has now been confirmed by PWInsider that Terry Funk is living in an assisted living facility for those with dementia :(

Sad to hear. Not surprising considering the type of wrestling Funk was associated with during his career

Paul Orndorff is in a similar facility suffering with Dementia

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Kevin Nash on Broken Skull Sessions this weekend. Always a good interview.

ThePott wrote: »
    Jimmy is a tool. He needs help and sanctions from WWE, as long as he's not facing consequences he's not gonna get help.

He is in a big storyline with Roman, bad timing, he needs help and punishment too though

ThePott wrote: »

The funny thing is that Jimmy comes across as disingenuous on the camera. Jey comes across as far more authentic and has the potential to be a main eventer IMO.

• Advertisement

Ideally he should be offered extensive rehab or released. Hes a danger to himself and others and WWE should be consistent with their response.

Like 3 times should be enough to warrant a release.

Advertisement