Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

John Wick chapter 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Went to see this last night. Enjoyed it even though it does go a little OTT
    the rooftop bit at near the end just makes no sense

Some brilliant set pieces and the unfolding of the hidden world of the assassins continues.

Bat**** crazy but enjoyable none the less.

4 out of 5!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

John Wick 3.

A well crafted blend of action and comedy with a definite whiff of "so bad it's good" about it.

Starring Keanu Reeves in his most painfully, yet strangely endearingly, unconvincing performance since Dracula and Ian McShane just playing himself.

Somehow manages to be absurdly brilliant and better than the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

At times I did think "can he just let that guy live", and then blam - bullet to the face.
    It's headshot after glorious headshot....
    Interesting take on this in the film.
    It's interesting that the Russian mobster and a few assassins owe him for not killing them outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Good popcorn film but plot wise nowhere near as engaging or interesting as the action is.

Which is a shame as it's so near to a perfect action flick in most other areas.
    Loved the first 20 mins. Early Bond esque with regards to the fight scenes mixed with tongue in cheek humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Enjoyable and zipped by for the most part. The final sequence was a slog for me however as opposed to the opening which is amongst the finest action you will see. All in all I'd recommend it highly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Really enjoyable good fun where didn't feel the two hours. Plenty of wincy moments of "that's gotta hurt"
    Keanu still a delight from start to finish.

Well worth a watch
    felt pretty dumb for thinking this would have been wrapped up into a trilogy a là Taken

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Saw it last night and while a great action flick, is sadly not a patch on the first two movies due to a very weak plot, which felt like it was just setting up the next installment of the franchise rather than trying to be its own thing.

Zwillinge wrote: »
    felt pretty dumb for thinking this would have been wrapped up into a trilogy a là Taken
    I wonder what the endgame is, Wick dying or becoming hotel manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Venom wrote: »
    Saw it last night and while a great action flick, is sadly not a patch on the first two movies due to a very weak plot, which felt like it was just setting up the next installment of the franchise rather than trying to be its own thing.

I find this a very strange criticism considering the slightness of the plot in the first two movies. There is an abundance of lore in the first two but plot, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I find this a very strange criticism considering the slightness of the plot in the first two movies. There is an abundance of lore in the first two but plot, not so much.

The first movie sets up the character, his reasoning for going after the villains and hints at the wider assassin world while keeping a tight focus on its own story. The second movie expands on the whole assassin mythos while keeping true to the original character and the plot has its own start, middle and end. Sadly the third film just flip flops on the characters motivation and feels to me like a setup for what's going to go down in movie 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭secman

Went to see it last night, it was like watching a game rather than a movie, completely and utterly OTT, barely any dialogue of note. Lost count of number of people killed, a lot of it in NY and not one member of NYPD to be seen amid all the carnage and mayhem.
    As an aside i watched the Equalizer with Denzil Washington the other night and The Punisher tonight, both far more enjoyable than Wick 3 and unfortunately there will he a Wick 4 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Just back from it, loved the original with its precise, measured feel, this felt janky and overdone by comparison. Half the plot/new lore could easily have been excised and probably made the film better for it
    Morocco and all it entails I'm looking at you.

Disappointingly John continues his descent from extremely skilled but believably human hitman into yet another boring Expendables/F&F-type superhuman who mows down hordes of literally faceless mooks no matter how skilled they're alleged to be and the tension of the film along with it.

Most irritatingly at all
    at the end we're almost right back where we started, making the whole film nearly completely superfluous. Can't wait for Halle Berry, her bollock-chewing dogs and spunky daughter in John Wick Chapter 4: Dogs of War Canes Belli though.
    :rolleyes:

7/10. Decent popcorn flick but a step down for the series from this Boardie's PoV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Saw it last night. First 20 minutes or so is amazing, then it gets a bit dull in the middle and ending is great. Overall I loved it, but it could have been 15 minutes shorter.

Question: I missed the very start of the film, what happens in the first few moments up to the point where he is resting under the fire escape stairs in the alley?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Victor wrote: »
    Question: I missed the very start of the film, what happens in the first few moments up to the point where he is resting under the fire escape stairs in the alley?
    Nothing really, it's set immediately after John Wick 2 so when he runs away at the end of that movie this one starts with him running from that. He stops to rest in the alley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

John Wick 1 is one of my favourite movies. The sequel and this have been a case of diminishing returns for me, this relatively recent thing of making everything a franchise when it makes a profit means they have to come up with more and more things to justify it to the detriment of the films. I can only assume so much time was devoted to
    Halle Berry's character because they want a spin-off. They gave her a ready made storyline and showed her as much as John in their gun battle with the Moroccans.
    The first 20-30 minutes of this movie were excellent
    The knife fight, knife to the fúcking eye! and axe to the god damned head!
    but because they want to set up sequels & tv shows they put a bunch of stuff in there to make it way too long. By the midway point I wanted it to be over. Who knows how long they plan on dragging this out for I just know I'm done with it. John Wick 1 is a classic so I'll always have that in my collection anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

It felt very much like the Raid 2 to me, amazing fighting and gunwork but weak plot and little common sense!

Not a patch on 1 or 2 for me but still very entertaining nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Absolutely loved it

It's getting a little sillier with each instalment but I'm 100% ok with that

TBH I probably would have preferred if they ended it after 3 but it's set up for a fourth now, if the quality keeps up bring it on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭ThePott

Personally thought it was the best one, was a bit more self aware and think that worked in it's favour. The action felt like a real step-up. Plot was pretty standard but can't complain when the action is so good. Not sure about another one and whether it will just seem pedestrian by comparison.

Did a more in-depth review below if anyone cares to watch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

John Wick 4 confirmed. Out in May 2021.
    Chad Stahelski returns to direct.

https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/05/20/john-wick-4-confirmed-release-date/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I was a bit nervous it wouldn't live up to 1 and 2 but was very happy. Really good film ...

Onto number 4 now !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    It felt very much like the Raid 2 to me, amazing fighting and gunwork but weak plot and little common sense!

Not a patch on 1 or 2 for me but still very entertaining nonetheless.

i thought that during the movie, Raid 3 was a dead cert and then nothing ...and felt john wick 3 borrowed from it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A lot less baggy than the second film, refining the momentum back to something resembling that punchy first feature; the action was as solid & balletically visceral as we have come to expect; maybe more so, almost reaching "Mad Max: Fury Road" levels of relentlessness. Still though, all that "Assassin-verse" guff got in the way once again, still stymied said momentum with exposition and posturing I couldn't engage with. This hidden world has always been in the franchise sure, but in that original movie it lingered on the fringes of the story, something mysterious and unknowable. Of course as with all these mysteries, the reveal never matched the internal curiousity we invented for ourselves, the resulting reality being convoluted exposition threaded with clumsy ecclesiastical terminology. Halle Berry's presence was also a pretty transparent attempt at leveraging a spin-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Mr E wrote: »
    John Wick 4 confirmed. Out in May 2021.
    Chad Stahelski returns to direct.

https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/05/20/john-wick-4-confirmed-release-date/

Praying
    Halle Berry and her dogs
    don't return for the sequel, weakest element of the whole movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

Great fun! I'm in two minds, John wick 1 as a single entry would be fantastic, simple plot, great action. Having said that, I just love the action in 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

John Wick 3 isn´t released here in Spain until May 31st.
    I better unsubscribe from this thread....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I especially loved the scene where Wick shot the bad guy.

Whoops!

;):D

John Wick 3 isn´t released here in Spain until May 31st.
    I better unsubscribe from this thread....
    They die. They all die.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Anyone else think the "ill see you again" line that they highlight in subtitles has significance in the Lore. My theory is its along similar lines to the blood oath medallion. An agreement amongst those 'under the table' that if you show mercy and say that line to a fallen foe, that they are honor bound to show you mercy or pay you back somehow if you cross paths again. Its just been emphasised too much in the Films not to mean something more then "I like this actor let's keep him around". I can see all the characters John's beaten and shown mercy to coming back into play for his war against the high table in JW4. Like he's been stockpiling killers who owe him or at least won't need to worry about if the next time they cross paths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

good movie and decent variety within the movie, the whole desert thing was pointless and didn't really buy the number of members of the various criminal networks, they kind of overegged the whole thing.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement