Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Heaney RIP

• 30-08-2013 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭

The greatest and most admirable living Irishman has left us.
    The only consolation I can offer his family is that if there is a heaven he is now in it.
    If he isn't, there's damn little hope for the rest of us.
    Few of his ilk have ever carried their greatness with such casual wit and sophisticated ease. He portrayed the ultimate in a sort of Irish "cool".
    Enjoy your days in the Elysian Fields, Seamus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42,078 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Ireland has lost its most loved and respected writer, my thoughts are with Seamus' family at this hugely sad time.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ellie11

so sorry to hear of the death of one of irelands greatest, my sympathy to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mrpockets

HEANEY, Seamus, August 30, 2013, unexpectedly after a short illness; beloved husband of Marie and loving father of Michael, Christopher and Catherine Ann, beloved brother of the late Sheena, Ann and Christopher. Deeply regretted by his brothers Hugh, Pat, Charlie, Colm and Dan, daughters-in-law Emer and Jenny, grandchildren Anna Rose, Aibhín and Síofra, brothers-in-law, sisters-in-law, nieces, nephews, extended family, and many friends.
    May he rest in peace.
    Removal to the Church of the Sacred Heart, Donnybrook arriving at 6.45pm on Sunday evening. Funeral on Monday after 11.30am Mass to Bellaghy Cemetery, Co. Derry (arriving 5pm approx.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

It is an odd feeling, I never thought i would ever live to see a historical figure, to see him live and then die. To me historical figures for whatever reason belong in the past, Someone who were educated about in school and college and then forgotten in adulthood and remembered again only when convent to the situation at hand. But here we had a renowned poet, playwright, a father, a brother, a scholar, a friend to all. The everyman a quality many good writers aspire to become but very seldom accomplish. When I think of Seamus Heaney poems I remember a quote from Carl Sagan, I have altered Carl’s quote it to how I personally feel about Seamus Heaney but I don’t think Carl will mind much.

One glance his poems and I am inside the mind of the author, and although he may be dead for days, weeks, years perhaps even thousands of years, Across time, his poetry as an author will speak clearly and silently inside my head, directly to me. Writing is perhaps the greatest of human inventions, binding together people who never knew each other, citizens of distant epochs. The author’s words break the shackles of time. His work will echo the halls of time and is proof that we are capable of working magic.

Thank you Carl Sagan and thank you Seamus Heaney for educating me

• Registered Users Posts: 4 val3500dub

A True Gentleman and Talent. Sympathy to his family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 bolt12000

A great loss to literature and to Ireland. RIP Seamus.

Advertisement