Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Daniel Bryan Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I could actually see this happening, mostly because H could use it as his go-to "I put guys over, see??" for the next decade. Not enough people remember him 'putting over' Shelton Benjamin anymore :p
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Gorm_0

Angron wrote: »
    :pac:
    Hahaha that is brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Jester252 wrote: »
    This past year Bryan was a tag champion, bet Cena clean, worked with the company highers up (Kane, Cena, Undertaker, Triple H, Vince etc.) and won his first WWE championship. The guy is in with the big boys. As for Summerslam most of the promotional material that I saw was for CM Punk vs. Brock. Bryan, at the time, was just another randomer to give Cena a match such as Henry and Ryback. This was Bryan first major PPV. I would be looking more into Bryan merch figures after the match.

He was lumped into a tag team because they didnt have anything else for him to do. He and Kane made it work and WWE decided to let it drag on far too long. Besides, being the tag champion when there are no other teams isnt much.

Beat Cena clean and then it was forgotten about a minute later. Has it been mentioned much, if at all, since?

His first WWE Championship reign lasted all of two minutes, and one of those minutes was spent being dead after a Pedigree. Hardly something to brag about. His second reign lasted 24 hours before they did another bait and switch.

He was momentarily in with the big boys. Now he is in with the failures that are the Wyatt's.

Cena vs Bryan was the main event IIRC, not Punk vs Lesnar.

They fcuked up big time. No two ways about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Gorm_0

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    He was lumped into a tag team because they didnt have anything else for him to do. He and Kane made it work and WWE decided to let it drag on far too long. Besides, being the tag champion when there are no other teams isnt much.

Beat Cena clean and then it was forgotten about a minute later. Has it been mentioned much, if at all, since?

His first WWE Championship reign lasted all of two minutes, and one of those minutes was spent being dead after a Pedigree. Hardly something to brag about. His second reign lasted 24 hours before they did another bait and switch.

He was momentarily in with the big boys. Now he is in with the failures that are the Wyatt's.

Wyatts aren't failures they've barely been on Raw, only for a few months, the right thing is being done with them mid card feuds to gain slow momentum, rather than being thrusted into the main event only to fail and be sent BACK to the midcard where they would most likely be endeavoured one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,957 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Rjd2 wrote: »
    It would have been better for Bryan to never have got involved with Trips ala Punk, it did nothing for either bar stall momentum.

Probably been sent down the card as punishment for Summerslam not drawing well:(

The Miz was the host of Summerslam :P

• Advertisement

Gorm_0 wrote: »
    Wyatts aren't failures they've barely been on Raw, only for a few months, the right thing is being done with them mid card feuds to gain slow momentum, rather than being thrusted into the main event only to fail and be sent BACK to the midcard where they would most likely be endeavoured one by one.

They have failed in every way imaginable. Compare them to the Shield if you think otherwise. That's a successful faction right from day one. The Wyatt's have stumbled and fallen well short of expectations.

Debuted in a big way, had an awful showing with Kane, took Kane out, did nothing, did nothing some more, people stopped caring, last ditch effort now by dragging Bryan and Punk down to their level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Bryan is still one of the big boys. The Wyatts are not a failure yet, they are using both Punk and Bryan to build up the Wyatts for a team SS match.

Outside their entrance, they get crickets. You cant fail much harder than that.

Bryan and Punk have been demoted rather than the Wyatt's being promoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Outside their entrance, they get crickets. You cant fail much harder than that.

Bryan and Punk have been demoted rather than the Wyatt's being promoted.

Why do you what Bryan to fail?
    Taking a prediction at the SS card, the Shield, Big Show, Randy, Cena, ADR, and the Rodes will be booked in title matches. Looking at the rooster what big names are left for the SS match?
    Kane, Bryan and Punk

Jester252 wrote: »
    Why do you what Bryan to fail?
    Taking a prediction at the SS card, the Shield, Big Show, Randy, Cena, ADR, and the Rodes will be booked in title matches. Looking at the rooster what big names are left for the SS match?
    Kane, Bryan and Punk

I dont. WWE seem to.

Survivor Series could have easily been:
    Shield, Orton + 1 (Triple H?) vs. Bryan, Show, Punk, Cody + Goldy (or Big E and 4 vs. 4)
    Cena vs ADR vs Sandow
    Kane, Miz + 2 (Ziggler?) vs. Wyatts + 1

Much better than wasting Bryan and Punk. Also delays the Kane turn a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I dont. WWE seem to.

Shield, Orton + 1 (Triple H?) vs. Bryan, Show, Punk, Cody + Goldy (or Big E and 4 vs. 4)
    Cena vs ADR vs Sandow
    Kane, Miz + 2 (Ziggler?) vs. Wyatts + 1

Much better than wasting Bryan and Punk. Also delays the Kane turn a little.

That actually would have been a killer match, all of them can work and all got feuds with each other. The elimination match is always the draw for me and many regarding Survivor Series so loading it with stars all with intertwining storylines makes sense creatively and would give it a big fight feel which it needs judging by recent buyrates.

Instead the elimination match will be Punk and Bryan slumming it against the Wyatts.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

What a waste of time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I dont. WWE seem to.

Problem with that match is it would most likely mean the Tag & WWE titles not being defended at Survivor series.

Many people myself included have D.Bryan as our favourite to win the rumble and imo for that to happen they need to pull him back a bit after him headlining the past 4/5 PPVs in a row. Let Show have his 2 months in the main event before he drops back into the middle of the card come mania season where even if Bryan isn't heading to mania as a Rumble winner I would still expect him to have a prominent position such as vs HHH

• Registered Users Posts: 32,809 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Can't believe there are people out there who don't think the Wyatts are the worst thing to happen the world since terminal diseases.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

CSF wrote: »
    Can't believe there are people out there who don't think the Wyatts are the worst thing to happen the world since terminal diseases.

What a ridiculous, over-the-top, inaccurate exaggeration! Sin Cara is far worse! :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

They keep calling Bryans finished the move that beat Cena so yeah it's been mentioned many times.

Problem with that match is it would most likely mean the Tag & WWE titles not being defended at Survivor series.

Many people myself included have D.Bryan as our favourite to win the rumble and imo for that to happen they need to pull him back a bit after him headlining the past 4/5 PPVs in a row. Let Show have his 2 months in the main event before he drops back into the middle of the card come mania season where even if Bryan isn't heading to mania as a Rumble winner I would still expect him to have a prominent position such as vs HHH

I thought of the tags which is why I said Big E as an alternative. Not that they mean much anyway.

WWE title can miss one show, especially since Orton is champion and with the bosses. It makes sense that they want to keep the title so dont force him to defend it at every turn.

The pull him back thing doesnt make much sense. For Bryan to win he needs to be **** hot like he was at Summerslam. Having him go cold by lumping him with the Wyatts will make him less likely to win. They should have given him the title, let him run with it for a couple of months and lose it before the Rumble. Have the authority then refuse to give him a rematch so he goes and wins the Rumble instead. Suddenly you have someone on the same level as Cena instead of being a midcarder again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

CSF wrote: »

Kinda like a mix between the Brood(cool entrance) and the D.O.A. (average/below average workers).

I don't get the Wyatt and Shield comparison. I see they are both three man groups but thats it. They were put together for completely different reasons, introduced to the main roster for completely different reasons, under completely diffetant circumstances and booked in very different ways.

It's like Comparing Cena WWE start to Brock Lesners. Cena looked **** by comparison but over the long haul he ended up coming good to say the least.

The Shield were put together to suit a storyline and need on the main Roster at that time. They were three of the stand outs, probably the three stand outs in NXT and brought in to give them all instant recognition and the beat start possible to their main roster careers.

They were brought in as a complete surprise, people had no idea what was going on and it made a huge impact. They took out the biggest names WWE had in group attacks, went on a streak of winning matches, main eventing shows, even the first match they had was the main event of a PPV. Victims included the Rock, Cena, Ryback, Orton, Sheamus, Ric Flair, The Undertaker oh and Vince McMahon. Nobody in recent years had such a well booked and kept strong intro, arguably since Brock Lesner.

The Wyatt family were put together on NXT when Bray got injured, we had pre exposure to them so pre expectations already existed. Bringing them onto the main roster was done slowly, in a way to have the gimmick established and Bray over more than the collective group. While the Shield got to work with the names above the Wyatt Family got to work with Kane, they took out 3MB, Justin Gabriel and other nobodies. The had to be careful that the intro was not just a rip off of the Shield.

It's only now that the Gimmick is established, the introduction of the Shield is in past memory rather recent memory and Mania is starting off that WWE are trying to kick them on and get them involved with big names. WWE have plans for Bray more than the others but are doing it slowly, they are Cena like when it comes to how he/they were introduced.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I thought of the tags which is why I said Big E as an alternative. Not that they mean much anyway.

WWE title can miss one show, especially since Orton is champion and with the bosses. It makes sense that they want to keep the title so dont force him to defend it at every turn.

The pull him back thing doesnt make much sense. For Bryan to win he needs to be **** hot like he was at Summerslam. Having him go cold by lumping him with the Wyatts will make him less likely to win. They should have given him the title, let him run with it for a couple of months and lose it before the Rumble. Have the authority then refuse to give him a rematch so he goes and wins the Rumble instead. Suddenly you have someone on the same level as Cena instead of being a midcarder again.

Well I guess the pulling him back thing is in my head as I don't see the WWE pushing someone who isn't Cena in the main event all the way from Summerslam to mania. Even CM Punk during his historic title reign didn't get to headline that many PPVs. However if they pull back on him and have say Big Show headline Survivor Series & TLC vs Orton and then CM Punk headline the Rumble (by headline I mean the title match here), then I could see them push Bryan back into a big main event storyline for the road to Wrestlemania (i.e be The Rumble winner).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Well right now it looks like the 3-man heel team of the Wyatts are now Triple H's muscle, previously Triple H's muscle was 3-man heel team of the SHIELD; and both teams have been in WWE for under a year.

I know what you mean, gimmick & talent-level -wise they're nothing similar but as above, there's a lot of comparisons with them & their utilisation in the WWE.

Okay the three man thing is not literally 'it'.

The recent change to Wyatt's looking like Triple He's muscle is possibly to position them for a mania match?

Well I guess the pulling him back thing is in my head as I don't see the WWE pushing someone who isn't Cena in the main event all the way from Summerslam to mania. Even CM Punk during his historic title reign didn't get to headline that many PPVs. However if they pull back on him and have say Big Show headline Survivor Series & TLC vs Orton and then CM Punk headline the Rumble (by headline I mean the title match here), then I could see them push Bryan back into a big main event storyline for the road to Wrestlemania (i.e be The Rumble winner).

I'm thinking we might see a feud between Kane and Bryan if Kane is now part of The Authority

Be interesting to see who captains/leads the team at SS, Bryan or Punk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I see the "devil made me do it" leading to be the work of Vince McMahon but I've no idea how that'll go with Bryan's future leading to Wrestlemania

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Was just listening to a show he did with Bryan Alvarez 6 or 7 years ago (genuinely worth subbing for a month solely just to hear this interview). He was saying basically that wrestling was not something that was the be-all-and-end-all of his life and had plans to become a missionary with the peace corp or something. They rejected him when he applied because he hadn't held what they describe as a "steady job" long enough. This was just before he got to the height of his indy stardom as ROH World Champion and years before he got his second WWE deal but it's funny to think he mightn't have ever been WWE Champion if the peace corps weren't such dicks about who they accept as volunteers.

Completely forgot he would have been in the same class as the Lance Cade in HBK's wrestling school and it was kinda sad when Bryan mentioned he had everything WWE look for in a star knowing how things turned out.

Hope that doesn't seem shilly but if your WWE Daniel Bryan is all you know of him you should really listen to this for some of his earlier stories. Probably the most fun interview I've ever come across in any medium.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Loved that interview.

Besides the steady job thing. They wouldn't accept him as he failed P.E. in high school!

Before signing with WWE he also gave serious thought about moving to Thailand to learn kickboxing. Not as your standard Wrestler ego stroke of "I am going to do MMA" rather just following an interest/personal development thing.

WWE Network cameras will be following several Superstars during WrestleMania XXX week in New Orleans, including Daniel Bryan. Bryan noted in an interview that cameras will be filming him to see what he does to get prepared for WrestleMania. WWE.com usually does the "WrestleMania Diary" videos each year but these will be airing on the Network.

Is he taking time off for his wedding and honeymoon?

How long he is expected out for?

I assume with surgery it will be around 6 to 8 weeks, so will he be stripped of the title, I would imagine Steph and HHH will use the "30 day title defence rule" to crown a new champ *coughs* HHH himself :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Wrestling Observer Newsletter reported that Bryan vs Lesnar is pencilled in for Summerslam. All depends on his health and if he wrestles at MITB.

Advertisement