Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we talk firearms [READ Mod posts 10 & 12]?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

I don't think guns need be discussed here , wether talkin about hunting or what if home defense scenarios , those that have guns know what they can and can't be legally used for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[
    QUOTE=Sticky_Fingers;75043449]Don't worry Grizzly we will be making decisions shortly but it is indeed a fine line that we have to walk. As the mods of this forum we have to serve two masters, we want this forum to be as informative and interesting as possible for you the members but we also have a duty to protect Boards.ie from any possible legal action that may result from the information posted here.

As such I'll try and address some of the questions you've asked. Please note that these are provisional guidelines and may be subject to change once the mods have discussed the issues further. As such please use common sense when posting about certain subjects, if you would not be willing to stand in front of a Guard or a Judge and say the exact same thing then perhaps it is better left unsaid here on Boards.

Thanks for getting back to us SF.Just a few more pointers and POV to consider. As for standing in front of a gaurd/judge.Re posts..I have been in this situation because of a few posts of mine on the Z survival group and others on the shooting boards a few years ago,and it was a superintendant in limerick asking some intresting questions posed by the Dept of Justice Equality,etc etc C4 [criminal subversive and gunowner section:rolleyes:]
    Cherry picked comments they were too ,taken out of context...
    I told him exactly the same thing I am saying here.IF It is freely available information,has been in the public domain for years,is legal to learn and posses,but not to put into criminal misuse or for illegal purposes.The posts were about companies who provide info on improv weaponary and tactics.
    Couldnt get much heavier than that.It is irrevelant wether it is in paper or electronic media form,it is nothing classified.

I heard nothing more of it,did no jail time or other penalty,and as far as I am aware Boards.ie its owners or Mods were not persecuted in any way by the Irish Govt ,AGS or other bodies,or at least I am not aware of it.

So been there, done it, bought the T shirt.Not that I advocate everyone does it.You are not all as mad as me.:D:D But what I am saying is,there is more leeway possibly than we think out there.

This subject is already well catered for by the Shooting forum. Any discussion of firearms should be posted there.
    There are very strict laws and regulations relating to the ownership and the use of firearms in Ireland and we must abide by those laws. The guys in the Shooting forums will be able to help with any firearms related queries posters have and will keep everything on the right side of the law
    So long as it is sporting shooting related:rolleyes:
    These are sticky ones, it is a broad subject matter where currently certain forms of hunting/trapping are allowed whist others are not. I would prefer if any discussion was conducted in the Hunting forum but as it stands at the moment the discussion of hunting/trapping techniques will be allowed under strict supervision. Please note that this does not give posters carte blanc to post whatever they like or to get around rules governing other forums on this site, if a post contravenes the Hunting laws then that poster will be infracted/banned. Remember, if you are not willing to post it in the Hunting forum then don't post it here.

Ok,Test case.Re snaring.The only animals that can be legally snared here is a rabbit and fox and badger under dept of Ag liscense.Yet there are traps like deadfalls,that kill by crushing an animal or there is the possibility of using snares to catch deer.Neither of those techniques have any legal sporting purposes or can be used for vermin control so they would not be published on the hunting forum.Yet in a SURVIVAL situation they are possibly the most efficent way of gathering food.Also this is freely published and available info on paper. Can this kind of info with a disclaimer be published here??

Please note that the above will more than likely be subject to change once the mods have had a chance to discuss the issue further.
    Walkie talkies and the like are fine, talk away freely but anything that requires a license will be better posted in the Hobby Radio forum. You will get far more infomative and knowledgable responses there on this topic

OK
    Personally I cannot see any issues arising from this discussion so chat away as long as all mods are road legal.

Common sense here people, discussion will be allowed as long as it does not advocate putting yourself or others at risk. Also any post suggesting activities that break the rules of the road will be infracted/banned.
    Discussion of this topic is allowed. Trouble will arise however if anyone advocates using alternative fuel/biodiesel as a way to power a vehicle on the public roads

Good,just on a point..Bio diesel is LEGAL to use on Irish roads.[Not WASHED diesel]Its not a recognised revenueable fuel at the moment.
    I don't see a problem with this, however any talk or discussion advocating or discussing how to evade planning laws will be frowned upon.
    Cool.:)
    As long as said chemical is not illegal then I see no problem with that. However anyone who posts ingredients/recipes for explosives/drugs or other controlled substances will be banned.

Logical,good with that.
    Yes, allowed and heartily encouraged. This is what this forum is supposed to be about. However if any idiot suggests mucking about and wasting the time of the emergency services by making bogus calls/signals they will be banned. I think we can all agree on that.

A given!

I highlighted the important bit, the mods are not trying to be killjoys here and stifle all discussion but we cannot ignore the law of the land. As for the SAS Survival Guide being available in shops you can bet that the publishers have a team of lawyers who vet and ok everything and are capable of mounting a stern legal defense if an issue ever arises.

You can be sure that if it is published in the UK,and the USA where they take poaching and illegal mucking about alot more seriously than we do.That it will stand up to any counter claim in the ROI.

Boards.ie does not have this luxury and thus we must be more careful when it comes to these matters.

AH!! We come to the nub!!! The legal dept is scared witless of anything that might befall Boards.ie! Well, hope they cut down things like modified cars and any other dangerous things in this life .

You said it yourself, the discussion in the Zombie Survival board deals with a fictional situation and every right thinking person knows that to be the case (no offense meant to the boys over in ZS).

This forum however deals with the real world and thus must be held to a higher legal standard since there is a possibility that something written here may actually be used by someone in the future.

Think you missed the point completly here..Just because it is FICTION does not mean it cannot be translated into FACT!! IOW while I might want to discuss how to set up mantraps with an improv claymore minefield made out of homebrew explosives,thats grand because its on the Zombie forum and thats fiction.It might be fiction but the process in reality is the really real thing..:rolleyes::rolleyes: Hate to say that this is a very IRISH way of looking at it.
    Its the same with the combat shooting [or practical pistol/rifle/shotgun]Vs airsoft arguement here in Ireland.
    An international sport is banned in Ireland because it uses real guns and might be used for combat training..YET I can buy a fully realistic replica assault rifle,genuine current military issue kit,a silencer for it, a nite vision scope,and pyrotechnics I can train with my buddies full military tactics of ambush ,counter ambush etc and mock up a " Storm the Dail and take the TDs hostage "or "shoot Prezident Mc Guinness" and thats fine as its"only people playing at grown up cowboys and indians" As described by a DOJ offical..:(:(:mad:

Hmmm..lets look at this I want to train up a terror cell to just do that above scenarios.I can kit them out in the "toys" and they can learn all the required drills to complete this mission and fight off our ERU /Rangers with their practised counter tactics.Nothing can be done to us as we were" only playing".Yet if I used one real gun or bullet we'd be banged up right away...
    See my point?? We can discuss all the nasty stuff on Zombie survival no problem as it isnt true.But here we have to mind our P&Qs,as it "might" be abused.:rolleyes: So ,if say some deadhead makes an improv rocket launcher or mortar to get rid of his school because he read it on the Zombie survival forum that the info can be got from a certain book.Is Boards.IE defence going to be that it was only a fantasy thread????
    Dont think thats going to work very well.
    So maybe just maybe Boards.ie legal dept should look at that scenario as well??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

On the contrary I think that for those of us located in Ireland this forum is a golden opportunity to discuss these issues in a realistic and pragmatic way. Unlike most other websites dealing with this subject we can provide help and advice on Irish problems from an Irish perspective.
    We need to accept the situation that for most Irish people any talk about guns and weapons is completely useless since they will have little to no access to such items.

Ohhh THATS abit of a sweeping generalisation!!!Seen how much of the illegal stuff is appearing in Ireland with drug shipments??Chances are they will be soon more illegal guns than legal guns in Ireland post 2018
    Maybe not now,but post catastrophe there will be alot more knocking around than is currently belived.And I would consider that just maybe,basic gun saftey and handling of firearms should be in anyones head in modern society as a survival skill.I dont necessarily mean shooting them,but knowing how to make one safe and unloaded,and not all guns are the same.

Thats not to say that all gun talk is banned on this site, I'm sure the guys over on the shooting forum will be able to help with any queries or questions.

They will if it is related to a sporting topic..Not if whats better in a post SHTF scenario an AK or M16 type question.

Remember, those guys are the gun "professionals" on boards and would be far more knowledge on the subject that anyone here.[/QUOTE

I think you need to research my,and a couple of other names here posts over there friend!!;)Some of the experts are already here!!!:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    [
    Thanks for getting back to us SF.Just a few more pointers and POV to consider. As for standing in front of a gaurd/judge.Re posts..I have been in this situation because of a few posts of mine on the Z survival group and others on the shooting boards a few years ago,and it was a superintendant in limerick asking some intresting questions posed by the Dept of Justice Equality,etc etc C4 [criminal subversive and gunowner section:rolleyes:]
    Cherry picked comments they were too ,taken out of context...
    I told him exactly the same thing I am saying here.IF It is freely available information,has been in the public domain for years,is legal to learn and posses,but not to put into criminal misuse or for illegal purposes.The posts were about companies who provide info on improv weaponary and tactics.
    Couldnt get much heavier than that.It is irrevelant wether it is in paper or electronic media form,it is nothing classified.

I heard nothing more of it,did no jail time or other penalty,and as far as I am aware Boards.ie its owners or Mods were not persecuted in any way by the Irish Govt ,AGS or other bodies,or at least I am not aware of it.

So been there, done it, bought the T shirt.Not that I advocate everyone does it.You are not all as mad as me.:D:D But what I am saying is,there is more leeway possibly than we think out there.
    And this just goes to prove the point that this type of discussion needs a knowledgeable person modding. This is not me or Tabnabs, all discussion on firearms will be conducted over on the Shooting forum. As you said the DoJ looks at this site and while you may not have any problem with answering questions from the Guards relating to your posts the publishers of the information (Boards.ie) will not appreciate the possibility of being dragged into a legal wrangle.
    So long as it is sporting shooting related:rolleyes:
    They will if it is related to a sporting topic..Not if whats better in a post SHTF scenario an AK or M16 type question.
    Seriously Grizzly, you are on very very thin ice here :mad:
    Ok,Test case.Re snaring.The only animals that can be legally snared here is a rabbit and fox and badger under dept of Ag liscense.Yet there are traps like deadfalls,that kill by crushing an animal or there is the possibility of using snares to catch deer.Neither of those techniques have any legal sporting purposes or can be used for vermin control so they would not be published on the hunting forum.Yet in a SURVIVAL situation they are possibly the most efficent way of gathering food.Also this is freely published and available info on paper. Can this kind of info with a disclaimer be published here??
    The honest answer is that I don't know, this is something that needs to be discussed further. I will get back to you on this once we make a decision. For the time being please err on the side of caution and keep the discussion to legal methods of hunting/trapping game.
    Good,just on a point..Bio diesel is LEGAL to use on Irish roads.[Not WASHED diesel]Its not a recognised revenueable fuel at the moment.
    I think you'll find that you need to pay revenue on any fuel used on the public roads.
    You can be sure that if it is published in the UK,and the USA where they take poaching and illegal mucking about alot more seriously than we do.That it will stand up to any counter claim in the ROI.
    The decision to publish that information is up to them, they and they alone face the legal consequences if anything was to go awry, not boards.ie.
    AH!! We come to the nub!!! The legal dept is scared witless of anything that might befall Boards.ie! Well, hope they cut down things like modified cars and any other dangerous things in this life .
    Finally I think you are getting the point. Boards.ie wants to avoid possible legal difficulties and are well within their rights to prevent any discussion that may create problems for them. Since it would be their neck in the noose as publisher can you really blame them.

Think you missed the point completly here..Just because it is FICTION does not mean it cannot be translated into FACT!! IOW while I might want to discuss how to set up mantraps with an improv claymore minefield made out of homebrew explosives,thats grand because its on the Zombie forum and thats fiction.
    I think Zombie forum mods would strongly disagree with you there. They are not idiots and would issue a lengthy ban for posting such information. I'd also expect another knock on the door from the authorities tbh if you did post such a how to guide.
    It might be fiction but the process in reality is the really real thing..:rolleyes::rolleyes: Hate to say that this is a very IRISH way of looking at it.

Its the same with the combat shooting [or practical pistol/rifle/shotgun]Vs airsoft arguement here in Ireland.
    An international sport is banned in Ireland because it uses real guns and might be used for combat training..YET I can buy a fully realistic replica assault rifle,genuine current military issue kit,a silencer for it, a nite vision scope,and pyrotechnics I can train with my buddies full military tactics of ambush ,counter ambush etc and mock up a " Storm the Dail and take the TDs hostage "or "shoot Prezident Mc Guinness" and thats fine as its"only people playing at grown up cowboys and indians" As described by a DOJ offical.

Hmmm..lets look at this I want to train up a terror cell to just do that above scenarios.I can kit them out in the "toys" and they can learn all the required drills to complete this mission and fight off our ERU /Rangers with their practised counter tactics.Nothing can be done to us as we were" only playing".Yet if I used one real gun or bullet we'd be banged up right away...
    See my point??
    No I don't because if you were ever to even discuss anything like that on an open internet forum the Emergency Response Team would be kicking down your door in the morning.

Grizzly the ice is getting thinner and thinner...

We can discuss all the nasty stuff on Zombie survival no problem as it isnt true.But here we have to mind our P&Qs,as it "might" be abused.:rolleyes: So ,if say some deadhead makes an improv rocket launcher or mortar to get rid of his school because he read it on the Zombie survival forum that the info can be got from a certain book.Is Boards.IE defence going to be that it was only a fantasy thread????
    If he did manage to construct the rocket launcher from the information posted on the ZS forum then Boards.ie would be in serious trouble. This however cannot happen because if such information was posted it would be removed by the mods, again they are not idiots.
    Ohhh THATS abit of a sweeping generalisation!!!Seen how much of the illegal stuff is appearing in Ireland with drug shipments??Chances are they will be soon more illegal guns than legal guns in Ireland post 2018
    Maybe not now,but post catastrophe there will be alot more knocking around than is currently belived.
    :confused::confused:
    And I would consider that just maybe,basic gun saftey and handling of firearms should be in anyones head in modern society as a survival skill.I dont necessarily mean shooting them,but knowing how to make one safe and unloaded,and not all guns are the same.
    Knowledge that can be obtained over on the Shooting forums where people know what they are talking about and can provide accurate and reliable information.

Grizzly, I've answered your questions and laid out clearly what can and cannot be discussed (one or two thorny issues aside).

Please don't post anymore arguments about this forums policy on firearms no matter how much you disagree since nothing you say will change it.

The matter of firearms is now closed and no further posting on the subject will be tolerated.

If you have a problem with this decision then please take it to the Feedback forum it will not be entertained here and will result in an infraction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement