Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post here when you buy a new game

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

My latest buy was Runebound from Fantasy Flight (always good). Have played a few times so far and have to say it is currently one of my favourite games.

Ordered Settlers of Catan last night also on Amazon; I've seen it played but haven't played myself, so we'll see what happens when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

GodlessM wrote: »
    Ordered Settlers of Catan last night also on Amazon; I've seen it played but haven't played myself, so we'll see what happens when it arrives.

You're in for a treat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Gonna try this with the family tonight, and the regular gamers next thursday...

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/20545/rorys-story-cubes

pic1062102_md.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

yankinlk wrote: »
    Gonna try this with the family tonight, and the regular gamers next thursday...

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/20545/rorys-story-cubes

pic1062102_md.jpg

I bought those myself a few years ago. You're big into these arty farty games aren't ya :) ?

Why don't we play this and then Dixit ?

Actually it's a neat little family game and I think there are 2 or 3 sets of story dice around now. Art and Craft shop in Crescent shopping centre have then I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Got Yedo, going to give it a spin today. First worker placement type game really, it's been mostly Twilight Struggle and other CDGs up to this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Ordered Mansions of Madness and hoping it will arrive by the weekend since we're having a evening/night of beer and boardgames.

mansionsofmadness.png

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Mother Duck

Would be great to hear how you get on with this. I think I liked the idea of Arkham Horror more than I liked the game - most games nights involve plenty of beer and there was just too many fiddly rules and tokens to keep track of.

I nearly went for MoM when I heard about it but have it on the long-wishlist at present.

Ordered Mansions of Madness and hoping it will arrive by the weekend since we're having a evening/night of beer and boardgames.

mansionsofmadness.png

A friend of mine has Arkham Horror and our group have had great fun with it, but I've been toying with picking up Mansions of Madness myself. Please let us know how you get on with it.

I'll certainly throw up my thoughts on it if we play it on games night we're having this weekend.

I think I liked the idea of Arkham Horror more than I liked the game - most games nights involve plenty of beer and there was just too many fiddly rules and tokens to keep track of.

Real gamers drink coffee. :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Bought Village last week. Long story short, you control a family and you strive for success in the village, be it through the church, the council, the market, becoming a renowned traveller etc, all of which yield victory points if your members are present at the end of the game. The best part about this game is that as time passes in the game, your family members grow old and eventually pass on, so you have the duty to marry and carry on the family's legacy. This means there's a number of strategic elements on where you want your family members in (ie there's no point putting a family member on the town council if he dies soon).

I've played three times so far and I'm loving it. I've also accidently found a way to cheat death ;)

This will be a centrepiece boardgame to our gaming nights alongside Civilization, Catan, Puerto Rico and Risk Legacy :P

rzaba666 wrote: »
    love the game but my son refuse to play as there is no fighting or killing ;)

Thanks to rzaba666 for bringing this back from the motherland. Hive is a very addictive two player game, that even my 7 year old can grasp. He beat the teenager after is second game, with a little advice from me.

Highly recommend this.

pic551173_md.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭rzaba666

some more games bought in motherland ;) Bohnanza ia absolute hit with kids, highly recommend it

Bohnanza
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/11/bohnanza

p1050904n.jpg

Dragon's Gold

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1042/dragons-gold

p1050905m.jpg

also K2 which is really nice game (great if you are mountains climbing enthusiast):

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/73761/k2

74222178.jpg

Since I said I'd throw up our experience of the Mansions of Madness game, here's a short summary.

In total there were four of us playing this game for the first time, other than myself no-one had read the rules, that was our first mistake.

To get the game running in a reasonable amount of time means splitting up the set-up into two parts (which in fairness is mentioned in the rules).

The keeper has a mountain of cards to sort out and has to configure up the scenario; Ideally while they are doing this the players should be preparing the map and selecting their characters along with their starting equipment.

Once we got up and running the game moved at a nice brisk pace, the play somewhat like descent.

In terms of play the encounters came quite late in the game, mostly because the investigators keep together and as such didn't encounter the clues until a bit into the game. The game ended with a win for the investigator due to time expiring rather than them actively causing it to happen.

We're going to arrange another get together (have to stick the post up, probably for a few weeks time). But I think we'll probably have a better experience this time since we'll be familiar with the game rules this time.

Overall I was slightly disappointed with the first play, but think that's more down to mistakes on our part than the game itself. The next session though will make things clear.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Just discovered this forum.

We bought Dominion a few weeks ago and started playing it this week. it is brilliant :)

Since posting about Runebound we are now up Settlers of Catan, The Walking Dead, Munchkin Deluxe, and Nuts, with Elder Sign in the post soon. All excellent games (Munchkin being an old classic I had just never had a chance to own myself; got The Guild expansion for it too). Looking at various possibilities on what to get next; looking forward to hearing more bout Mansions of Madness and also looking at Castle Panic, Smallworld (a game I've had great fun with in the past), Cthulhu Dice, and Mage Knight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

So ordered Claustrophobia earlier in the week and it arrived just in time for the long weekend.

The game material is of good qaulity and the figures are already prepainted(thank god!).

had 2 quick games with my son earlier and it plays fast and I found it to be good fun.Hopefully will play it with a mate of mine soon and see how it pans out against an adult opponent.

thanks to rzaba666 for the heads up on the game.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36932/claustrophobia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Alhambra
    Got a copy of this last week ,and played a few games with the family over the weekend.Great little, easy-to-learn strategy game IMO.
    Will be playing it again this weekend.

Ended up buying it because of this review/play thru.

Damn you! ............. Will Weaton.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fengol

Only recently started board gaming again after some friends picked up Arkham Horror and Eclipse and are now doing weekly board game nights.

Since then I have picked up

Carcasssonne

carcassonne_top.jpg

Race for the Galaxy

220px-Rftg_cover.jpg

and Ming Dynasty (mainly as it was super cheap)

ming+dynasty+boardgame+eurogame+china+%25282%2529.JPG

• Advertisement

Ordered Citadels today, was looking for something with a simple set-up (which from what I've read this has).

citadelg.jpg

Hope to give it a go on the next board-game night we've arranged for a few weeks time (hello elderly Drogheda people).

Alhambra
    Got a copy of this last week ,and played a few games with the family over the weekend.Great little, easy-to-learn strategy game IMO.
    Will be playing it again this weekend.

Ended up buying it because of this review/play thru.

Damn you! ............. Will Weaton.:D

Just about anything on that show is worth playing in my opinion. And on that note, people should check out www.tabletopday.com.

As for Alhambra, the thing I like most about it is that it is easily available; they sell it in O'Mahony's bookstore even.

Ordered Citadels today, was looking for something with a simple set-up (which from what I've read this has).

citadelg.jpg

Hope to give it a go on the next board-game night we've arranged for a few weeks time (hello elderly Drogheda people).

Its a great game. Regulars love the backstabbery, newbies can get the simplicity.

Warning! Overthinkers will kill this game dead... trying to decide what to play, what to pass. Sometimes you are as well off to randomly pick a role... but then that ruins it for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Alhambra is one of those games that may as well play itself as far as I'm concerned. Not much decision making to be made.

Citadels is great fun though; with the caveat that you must play it with a bit of pace.
    yankinlk wrote: »
    Warning! Overthinkers will kill this game dead... trying to decide what to play, what to pass. Sometimes you are as well off to randomly pick a role... but then that ruins it for others.

Yeah, totally agree. It's a good way to finish off a gaming session or to play as an interlude between heavier games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Got Pax Porfiriana after seeing it mentioned on BGG, a card game about the struggle for power in Mexico at the start of the 1900s.

220 cards, of which only 50 + 10 per player are used in a game so you'll not see more than 80 or so in most games, and a very interesting design that intersects building a financial base with scheming your ass off in an attempt to overthrow the dictator Diaz and take his place - you can go for a good old Communist revolution, or try to convince Teddy Roosevelt to invade and annex Mexico, the other options are the military coup or even a free and democratic election, if you're a wuss! :)

IMG_0222_copy.jpg

IMG_0221_copy.jpg

That reminds me of Junta... but it sounds much better.

BGG trade for Dixit...Doom the Boardgame:

img1593cg.jpg

Spartacus!!!!

img1594e.jpg

img1581ya.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fengol

Took my copy of 'Race for the Galaxy' around to my weekly board game night. Turns out there was 5 of us so nipped to FLGS and picked up:

Rebel vs Imperium expansion to add the extra player
    prod_race_for_the_galaxy_rebel_vs_imperium.jpg

Also nabbed a cheap copy of Strozzi on ebay

strozzi.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Got a copy of this and played for the first time last night.Played a couple of solo games to try it out and I liked it a lot.Played as Dexter Drake.The extra spells make a big diff IMO.So he's a good character to start out with.
    Lost to Azathoth ,but kicked Nyarlathotep's ass big time.:)
    Hope to play a few games the weekend with the mates & family.
    Also there's an expansion due out this year,so I hope to pick up a copy.:D

Advertisement