Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

READ THIS: Forum Charter: Physics and Chemistry[Updated 27/06/05]

• 30-09-2003 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to Physics and Chemistry Forum. Please read the following before posting.

This Forum is for all who enjoy and/or are interested in the Physics and Chemistry.

Post here to share ideas, ask opinions or draw attention to interesting discoveries.

There are just a few things to note when posting here

1) No Muppettry, Trolling, Abuse or Racism. We can all express opinions with out resorting to any of them.

2) No Flaming. Science is generally theory based. Different people have different theories. You can disagree with and debate them without flaming.

3) No advertising. Contact the admins if you want to arrange advertising space.

4) No dangerous methodologies: Anyone caught posting protocols to experiments that generate dangerous chemicals will be banned.

5) If your post/opinion is coming from pop-science rather than from science please make this clear in your post. Start with "Ok I read this in (this book), and thought the following". Pop-science isn't fact, at best it's a loose interpretation of something that's already a loose interpretation if you get me.

Pop-science is fine. Just don't be suprised if you're wrong ;)

And finally, quoting Occy:

6) Have fun! Science has never been more exciting and open to public scrutiny as it is today. Anything of interest, debates, questions or queries are welcome(/me continues with the plug)- Tell your friends about the wonderful, NEW Science boards on boards.ie(tm).

7) Steorn is not to be posted about except in the Seorn watch thread under the guidlines contained in the first post of the thread...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

A word on the use of jargon and technical terms.

I would appreciate it if when people are replying to posters who don't have a technical background that they keep jargon and technical terms to a minimum and if they have to use them, that they explain them clearly.

This isn't bannable or anything, it's just that I'd like threads here to be readable to "normal" people and not just people who've studied the subject.

If you want to have a discussion in technical language (nothing wrong with this) then please mark the thread with a [Technical] tag in it's title. This will serve as a warning and a disclaimer of sorts.

If people are posting in a "Technical" thread then they are assumed to be able to understand/google any technical terms etc and have at least a basic understanding of the topic(s) in question. i.e. no pop-science!

Simply put [Techncial] in a thread title means a serious scientific thread on the topic. Jargon, technical terms, and theory are all acceptable in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Annoying/abusive/idiotic religious threads, or threads that turn into such will be edited and moved.

This is a physics/chemistry board. Discuss physics and chemistry here. Religion will be tolerated if I think it's on topic and such.

However, since the above is totally dependent on my whims, I'd advise people just to leave religion out of their posts if possible. Otherwise, play nice etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭sonx

CHEMISTRY IS THE SUPERIOR SCIENCE END OF! Everything is made of atoms, therefore everything depends on chemistry all matter. Physics can move you, chemistry creates what moves!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Professor_Fink

sonx wrote: »
    CHEMISTRY IS THE SUPERIOR SCIENCE END OF! Everything is made of atoms, therefore everything depends on chemistry all matter. Physics can move you, chemistry creates what moves!

Eh, atoms are made of electrons and nucleons which in turn are made of quarks. I think you'll find that area of study is called particle physics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement