Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you should have realised years ago.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Being highly educated, and being able to speak well are not always signs of high intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Bootcut jeans look ****e. I was looking at some of my old photos the other day, Cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭BurnUp78

That less is more with drugs and alcohol and no drug ever gives the same buzz or feeling of euphoria as the first handful of times.

That listening to music at full volume on headphones was actually slowly but surely damaging my hearing and the damage is irreversible (despite the warning when turning the volume past a certain point)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Should've realised this thread has been done loads of times over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭gifted

It's very easy to say no in work.......wished I realised that in my 20/30s instead of busting my bollix for other bloody idiots in work......now it's just no and walk away from them.....oh the faces on them lol lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

steves2 wrote: »
    I work in the public sector, about 6 years at this stage. I've learned that talent, attitude, ability and intelligence matter for nothing. It's the politicians that get rewarded and advance. The naivety takes a few years to wear off and you see that doing your job well isn't what's rewarded.

Ain't that the truth. I was a couple of years into my roll with a semi state when I realised the goal of established staff was to batt away as much work as possible hoping that it would stick elsewhere. Events like Brexit amplify this because nobody has the answers. So having decided that I was going absolutely nowhere in terms of promotion, I decided to have some fun. When sent a query from colleagues in other areas of the organisation who clearly didn't want to deal with the issue at hand, I'd immediately volley back an answer with observations and questions about the work that they'd done to date and the work they planned to do. In other words, don't even think about dumping this on me. I sometimes get a short response but the original query usually disappears up its own arse. Some of these guys are stealing a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Stop touching yourself

Good looking people get treated in such a blatantly superior way that there's practically a caste system at work in society.

It's an indisputable fact that attractive people get preferential treatment at work, socially, financially, politically etc.

Doors just magically open up for someone who is attractive, they get treated like celebrities in a certain sense.
    I have a couple of friends who who be very attractive and the way 'normal' people just wander up and start pampering them is an amazing thing to see- and it's guys and girls who do it. Tickets for games just magically appear, offers to go on holidays are never ending, you get invited to hang with the great and the good, people just want to 'help' you automatically.

I'm extremely average looks wise, but if I had known what I know now I would definitely have spent a nice chunk on plastic surgery to make myself beautiful; the return on investment would definitely have been worth it.

Beauty is rewarded in our society, whether you like to hear it or not.

Now it's worth mentioning that a lot of this is superficial and looks eventually fade, but if you've built a comfortable life and taken the opportunities that life has given you purely because you're good looking, then you're doing a lot better than most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

We are not going to have hover cars in my lifetime and we will be working harder and longer that we should have expected by now.

Also, pension funds and their overpaid 'managers' will let you down, just when you need them.

Some people are just cruel..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Pre 2008 crash, I was in my mid 20's and still naively living in the old world I grew up in, where there were steady, honest people of authority and wisdom running the show and everything would be alright.

The last decade has woken me up to the fact that no one really knows what they fúck they're doing*, are blagging and making it up as they go along and increasingly are only interested in number 1 at the expense of everything else.

* With the exception of surgeons. They might actually know something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

The more you do for someone the less they will think of you

No good deed goes un punished.

Advertisement