Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question about getting haircut

• 08-08-2020 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

I haven't got a haircut in over 5 months so my hair is pretty long at the moment. I want to get a medium skin fade haircut like I normally do. That wouldn't be a problem because of the length of my hair, would it? Should I just be getting it trimmed before I do that?

I appreciate this is probably a stupid question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It won't be a problem, just go to a local barber and they will sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Most barbers are charging a tenner an inch at the moment, let us know how you get on.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

nullzero wrote: »
    Most barbers are charging a tenner an inch at the moment, let us know how you get on.

I know there is extra costs and that now but isn't that a bit ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 16,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

PsychoPete wrote: »

It's completely apocryphal.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

You should bleach your hair... with toilet bleach, then it will all just fall out naturally!

Bit of moisturizer on your baldy mellon and good to go! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

So you want to get your hair trimmed before getting your hair trimmed, makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

PsychoPete wrote: »

Cut a few inches of before you go in. All they would be doing is a tidy up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Shave you head, collect the clippings and bring them to the barber with you. He can use the clippings to fix your hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

unhappys10 wrote: »
    So you want to get your hair trimmed before getting your hair trimmed, makes sense.

We got a house cleaner in a couple of times. My wife cleaned and tidied the place before they came each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

We got a house cleaner in a couple of times. My wife cleaned and tidied the place before they came each time.

Mine would probably do the same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

She's house-proud... a sure sign of any good housewife...

Tell your wife she has great potential, but needs to up her game a bit! :pac:

nullzero wrote: »

One of my mates has met women that charge by the inch...

Don’t know about it myself, you understand 😳

Would you not opt for a cut where the sides are longer than (or at least the same length as) the top? Why do the back and sides need to be so much shorter than the top? And why do you need to have a gradation in length ("fade") - why not just have a single length the whole way around the back and sides like people got during the 2000s?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Would you not opt for a cut where the sides are longer than (or at least the same length as) the top? Why do the back and sides need to be so much shorter than the top? And why do you need to have a gradation in length ("fade") - why not just have a single length the whole way around the back and sides like people got during the 2000s?

Cause (impersonating a 60+ person) "dats de styyyyyylllle dase days"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Think you’re confusing hats with hair there, O.

Only creeps who cut their own hair had that 4 “all over” cut.

The tide is turning…

Think you’re confusing hats with hair there, O.

Only creeps who cut their own hair had that 4 “all over” cut.

Nobody in the 2000s got a fade. It would have been considered shamefully elaborate and as if you were trying to look like an extra from a Ww2 film. People would ask for a 2 or 3 at the sides and a trim on top - no fades etc. and the length on top was usually shorter than it is today, and was often gelled with the fringe up or down. Young people these days are spoiled as fuk being socially licensed to admit to caring as much about their appearance as they do and again being socially sanctioned to actually wear these highly aesthetic and preened hairstyles without fear of being called up on it and sneered at as was the case in the 2000s for anyone who evidently was concerned with their appearance ("spice boy", metrosexual etc).

Also my comment above was satirical in nature. I wanted to highlight the rarely thought about fact that men always want the sides much shorter than the top and wondering why is it ultimately deemed to look better?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

When i was young it was a straight cut. A number 2,3, or 4 etc all round. There was no such thing as leaving it longer on top.

Incidentally, talking to a barber recently. He loving life cause the kids are coming in every 2 weeks to top up their fades. Poor parents imo at €15e+ a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Nobody in the 2000s got a fade. It would have been considered shamefully elaborate and as if you were trying to look like an extra from a Ww2 film. People would ask for a 2 or 3 at the sides and a trim on top - no fades etc. and the length on top was usually shorter than it is today, and was often gelled with the fringe up or down. Young people these days are spoiled as fuk being socially licensed to admit to caring as much about their appearance as they do and again being socially sanctioned to actually wear these highly aesthetic and preened hairstyles without fear of being called up on it and sneered at as was the case in the 2000s for anyone who evidently was concerned with their appearance ("spice boy", metrosexual etc).

Also my comment above was satirical in nature. I wanted to highlight the rarely thought about fact that men always want the sides much shorter than the top and wondering why is it ultimately deemed to look better?

There is always an element of “fade” when you’re going from a 2 on the sides to a “trim” on top.

As for why having the hair shorter on the sides than the top? Well, that is, purely, down to “aesthetics”. No one wants to look like Bozo the clown, it’s not a good “look” and would give people reason to believe that there was something wrong with you.

The tide is turning…

There is always an element of “fade” when you’re going from a 2 on the sides to a “trim” on top.

As for why having the hair shorter on the sides than the top? Well, that is, purely, down to “aesthetics”. No one wants to look like Bozo the clown, it’s not a good “look” and would give people reason to believe that there was something wrong with you.

But my question is asking why, at a deeper, more ultimate level, is it considered "not a good look"? Why is such a haircut considered so bad that it had been linked to the likes of Bozo the Clown? Why should hair being longer at the sides than top be considered so undesirable by so many men? Few hairstyles over history seem to have embraced that combination. Some men's hairstyles of the mid 19th century featured longer hair at the sides than the top but the hair was pretty long overall.

Advertisement