Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ShaneU's Walrus - The Reveal (Mod: no quoting videos)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

ShaneU wrote: »
    In 19th place with 3 points is
    The Purple Tin
    Bruce Springsteen – Racing in the Street

Have I listened to this artist before? Yes
    Have I listened to this song before? No

Very disappointed in this, was expecting better from such a famous artist who has a lot of songs I already like. It’s a nice easy listening song but it didn’t need to be seven minutes long as it doesn’t really build to anything.

Ah He-ur!
    It was the alternative version from The Promise that I chose. :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Ah He-ur!

Never heard that one, but I prefer the original album version.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Ah He-ur!

Minus one point :D

In 20th place with 2 points is
    Irish Aris
    Bright Light Bright Light – Lust For Life

Have I listened to this artist before? No

I was expecting an Iggy Pop piano cover here so I was instantly disappointed :D Then I listened to the rest of the song and was disappointed again. It has that “airy” pop sound a lot of bands from five years ago were using like Owl City and Bastille. I can see how some people would like it but not for me.

Minus one point :D
    BelovedBitesizedGiraffe-size_restricted.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

In 16th place with 6 points is
    Green&Red
    Wille Nelson – Always On My Mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu2u7-hYvmk

I always liked the Elvis version of this song and I enjoyed this country version too but I’d choose Elvis first. Willie just doesn’t have the same vocal range as The King.

I remember when I used to win walruses

Ur wrong on the Elvis v Willie. You could never imagine someone being on Elvis’s mind. Willie has the air of authenticity

In 2nd place with 20 points is
    CJ Maxx
    Derek & The Dominoes – Layla

Have I listened to this song before? Yes

So the first three minutes are a rock song and WHAT a rock song but the piano that comes in for the rest of the song is incredible. Always reminds me of the montage in Goodfellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

In 20th place with 2 points is
    Irish Aris
    Bright Light Bright Light – Lust For Life

Have I listened to this artist before? No

I was expecting an Iggy Pop piano cover here so I was instantly disappointed :D Then I listened to the rest of the song and was disappointed again. It has that “airy” pop sound a lot of bands from five years ago were using like Owl City and Bastille. I can see how some people would like it but not for me.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

In 21st place with 1 point is
    y0ssar1an22
    Bon Jovi – Runaway

It’s a decent 80’s rock song but not what I was looking for in this category. The keyboard that pops in between verses isn’t bad but for a lot of the song you barely notice it.

In 2nd place with 20 points is
    CJ Maxx
    Derek & The Dominoes – Layla

So the first three minutes are a rock song and WHAT a rock song but the piano that comes in for the rest of the song is incredible. Always reminds me of the montage in Goodfellas.
    You never hear the outro on the radio coz they always cut it off early or the DJ blah blahs over it. Great song.

• Advertisement

In 1st place with 21 points is
    Necro
    Christina Perri – A Thousand Years

Now I know what you’re thinking and the answer is no, I’ve never seen Twilight. I was at a wedding before the world turned to chaos and the bride walked out to a piano version of this, it was amazing. Ever since I’ve been listening to solo piano covers of this song regularly, the melody of the song transfers really well to piano compositions. I actually didn’t know the lyrics until this Walrus.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Love this song, I rate Ryan Tedder very highly as a songwriter.
    Excellent choice Liz!!

Ryan is a genius writer and producer imho

Table time!

Name Making an Entrance Piano Perfection Driving Miss Walrus Disco Fever True Colours Hindsight is 2020 Total
    The Purple Tin 21 3 24
    Mustang Shelly 20 15 35
    Necro 19 21 40
    Sawduck 18 13 31
    Homer J. Fong 17 18 35
    Osh 17 16 33
    JP Liz V1 15 17 32
    Beakerjoe 14 4 18
    RasTa 13 12 25
    Irish Aris 12 2 14
    Kolido 11 14 25
    LeVar 10 5 15
    Gru 9 10 19
    Deja Boo 8 11 19
    Green&Red 7 6 13
    y0ssarian22 6 1 7
    FixXxer 5 7 12
    JohnGreenFan 4 8 12
    S1Ippy 3 19 22
    Pretzill 2 9 11
    CJ Maxx 1 20 21

There are reveals happening Saturday and Sunday, so we won't have the next round until Monday at the earliest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I almost picked that Nina song but then went looking for Ennio and ended up with Oscar.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

ShaneU wrote:
    Now I know what you’re thinking and the answer is no, I’ve never seen Twilight. I was at a wedding before the world turned to chaos and the bride walked out to a piano version of this, it was amazing. Ever since I’ve been listening to solo piano covers of this song regularly, the melody of the song transfers really well to piano compositions. I actually didn’t know the lyrics until this Walrus.

Heh. It was in fact Twilight that introduced me to this song so that's one positive :D

Glad you liked it, it's on my regular playlist :D

quickbeam wrote: »
    Never heard that one, but I prefer the original album version.
    Both good, Darkness one is beautiful and a heartbreaker, Promise one goes in a more rocky direction.
    A good album that if you never heard it, stuff recorded during Darkness sessions but wasn't released. Some great songs- Fire, Because the Night, Outside Looking In etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Sawduck wrote: »
    Jaysus there are some absolute crackers in this round, except Niall Horan haha i don't like him

I was so sure this was Necros doing at first.

My Imortal is a great track, haunting as ever decades later.

Mad World is one of my fav tracks ever since I saw it on the advert for the original Gears of War game. Cracker IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

In 5th place with 17 points is
    JP Liz V1
    OneRepublic – Apologize

I asked which version the user would like to submit and we’re going with the lesser known original version without Timbaland’s “Ay Ay Ay” in the background. The piano plays all the way through the song only stopping briefly after a guitar solo. I much prefer this original version to the more famous Timbaland remix I must say. The intro to the song is a lot better with a string section and the song isn’t drowned out with whatever you would call the “beat” that he added.

Another cracking tune, not so much for the instruments but for the lyrics and the way its sung. Much better than the Timbaland version however would One Republic be as big without the publicity of the remix?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Another cracking tune, not so much for the instruments but for the lyrics and the way its sung. Much better than the Timbaland version however would One Republic be as big without the publicity of the remix?

Timbaland definitely brought them more attention, his Shock Value album was one of the biggest that year

• Advertisement

Green&Red wrote: »
    I remember when I used to win walruses

Ur wrong on the Elvis v Willie. You could never imagine someone being on Elvis’s mind. Willie has the air of authenticity
    You hit the nail on the head there G & R, give me Willie's unique phrasing over Elvis's polish any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Aww I missed both reveals - I'm a week behind in my head - some great tunes in here.

Round 3 begins tomorrow at the earlier time of 6.30 pm Won't have time to post this tomorrow so you're getting an early preview.

Driving Miss Walrus!

W2VMerY.jpg

Now I said I had a few songs in mind when creating this category but somehow no-one chose any of them! But if your song sounds something along the lines of these you probably did well!
    They all reference driving in the lyrics apart from one that has an epic section which has become synonymous with driving and another which has a famous driving video.
    (Unless The Chain represent the love between a man and his car....no? okay then)

HERE WE GO!

Steppenwolf - Born to be Wild

Sniff 'n' the Tears - Driver's Seat

Fleetwood Mac - The Chain

Ocean Colour Scene - Hundred Mile High City

Golden Earring - Radar Love

The Cardigans - My Favourite Game

See you tomorrow! (If Boards is working that is)

It's funny, Driver's Seat was the first song I thought, but decided it was too obvious and you would probably know it.

Sometimes obvious is good?!

I came very close to picking Radar Love, great tunage. Steppenwolf too, but I used it in a different walrus already.

Sometimes obvious is good?!

True, but I always look for songs that you wouldn't know and discover.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I wonder if the fact I don't drive will work against me on this one... I kinda just went for something upbeat and energetic.

I wonder if the fact I don't drive will work against me on this one... I kinda just went for something upbeat and energetic.

that makes two of us. . .

• Advertisement

I should mention I did get to listen to all of these at least once while driving. While It's very hard to make mental notes while driving, it definitely influenced my decision on the songs.

Advertisement