Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Honey vegan?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

My honey bees are wild bees.
    Native Irish black bees. I bought one nuc of native black bees, the other hives are inhabited by swarms that found their own way here and are more than happy with the accommodation.

Fair dues to you. It's a wonderful vocation. My late father got into bees when in his late 50s. Marvellous creatures.
    They don't milk as well as the good old Bumblebee though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Worztron wrote: »

As the newphew of an avid bee keeper, having regularly helped him over the years I have to say that the above is an absolute load of hyperbolic propaganda bullhshít.

Bumblebees were discovered to be excellent pollinators of tomatoes by a Dutch man, so yes people do use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    How are figs made? I thought they just grow on tree's...Or are they like Almonds requiring massive amounts of bee's to pollinate
    fig wasp pollinates female fig plant and dies inside the fig. fig then dissolves the body, mostly....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

As the newphew of an avid bee keeper, having regularly helped him over the years I have to say that the above is an absolute load of hyperbolic propaganda bullhshít.

Nice anecdote. Your aunt/uncle is clearly not representative of the entire honey industry.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Worztron wrote: »
    Nice anecdote. Your aunt/uncle is clearly not representative of the entire honey industry.

Why the putting down of a poster giving their own personal experience?

The point is that video is certainly
    not representative of the 'entire' honey industry either

Like most of that type of bs slick propaganda tbh ...

Like it or not the fact is that many many commercial crops are heavily dependent on the use of bees.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/would-we-starve-without-bees/zkf292p

Rogue operations should never be a reason to beat everyone with the same stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

gozunda wrote: »
    Why the putting down of a poster giving their own personal experience?

The point is that video is certainly
    not representative of the 'entire' honey industry either

Like most of that type of bs slick propaganda tbh ...

Like it or not the fact is that many many commercial crops are heavily dependent on the use of bees.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/would-we-starve-without-bees/zkf292p

Rogue operations should never be a reason to beat everyone with the same stick.

I didn't put them down. We can disagree on the points. No surprise there then. ;-)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 494 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Lots of vegans I know eat honey.

Things like avocados and butternut squash are not technically vegan as they use migratory beekeeping where bees are transported to pollinate crops, I think kiwis and almonds too so depends on how strict you are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

You can use honey if you stop being vegan!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    Lots of vegans I know eat honey.

Things like avocados and butternut squash are not technically vegan as they use migratory beekeeping where bees are transported to pollinate crops, I think kiwis and almonds too so depends on how strict you are

I'm not a total purist( as in for example, don't mind eating vegan food, say, cooked on a surface which cooked meat). Hate on me or educate me but I'm not sure about the finer details of this. I haven't really researched it. I don't use honey but I think it's okay to use them to pollinate. Once bees are not neglectfully harmed and their food source isn't taken, I'm okay.
    I'd like to hear opinions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement