Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dunney848

clsmooth wrote: »
    Completely agree, think we’ve really missed the physicality we had from 2011-2017 with SOB and 2018 with Leavy. Tough players. That said one player isn’t going to magically change everything but Stander needs some support in the back row.

Stander is a player I have always had an awful lot of time for but I think he’s too one dimensional and that doesn’t work against England. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Doris perhaps come to the fore in next years six nations or maybe a resurgence of Conan if he puts in a European campaign. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. If Farrell has any sense he will change things up for England next season although I will be gutted for CJ because he’s such a good attitude.

• Ireland had approx 79% in territory and 76% possession in the second half, maybe it was England taking their foot off, but who knows if it wasn't for those two fumbles. It was also an away game, so.

Similarly we beat them pretty easily in 2018 when a few bounces of the ball went our way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Dunney848 wrote: »
    Stander is a player I have always had an awful lot of time for but I think he’s too one dimensional and that doesn’t work against England. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Doris perhaps come to the fore in next years six nations or maybe a resurgence of Conan if he puts in a European campaign. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. If Farrell has any sense he will change things up for England next season although I will be gutted for CJ because he’s such a good attitude.

I might have posted since the 6 nations in 2019 and since our back row is the biggest issue. A combination of Standar/ VDF/ POM does not work, they had made a start to change it up for Scotland match but then reverted to the same back row

Against the inferior Scotland and out of form Wales it wasn’t shown up but against the better teams we get hammered

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Stander was by far was our best back row (and player if memory serves me) in the 6N. Maybe him at 6, with Doris at 8 and VDF or Leavy (if he can get back in with Leinster first) at 7 is worth a rattle. I still feel POM is the odd man out at the moment. Wouldn’t bet against him forcing his way back into the team if he was sat out for a few games though.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Anyone think Stander could be effective at 7? He has the pace for it and I think having him attacking in the wider channels might suit him, rather than trying to run into big forwards all day.

Then take your pick from Dorris, POM, Conan, Beirne for 6 and 8. Assuming Leavy isn't up to speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

clsmooth wrote: »
    Stander was by far was our best back row (and player if memory serves me) in the 6N. Maybe him at 6, with Doris at 8 and VDF or Leavy (if he can get back in with Leinster first) at 7 is worth a rattle. I still feel POM is the odd man out at the moment. Wouldn’t bet against him forcing his way back into the team if he was sat out for a few games though.

Stander, Leavy, Doris is ultimately what I'd like to see us get to. That could be our back row for the next two or three years. But we have to see how Leavy does after his injury, he will have been out for 17 months by the time Leinster play Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭clsmooth

bilston wrote: »
    Stander, Leavy, Doris is ultimately what I'd like to see us get to. That could be our back row for the next two or three years. But we have to see how Leavy does after his injury, he will have been out for 17 months by the time Leinster play Munster.

True, Leavy’s first challenge is getting back to first choice for Leinster. Plenty of quality competition there. If he can do that, he’s back in the picture. We can’t expect him to be competing for an Irish position just yet. Quite like the sound of that potential back row though. We’re quite thin on 7s. VDF and POM at a push for now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭ Sunny Most Thunder

All original tickets invalidated by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,752 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Feels like an age since that England game in February

Unbelievably were still in with a chance of winning the title, 2 BP wins

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

PTH2009 wrote: »

People forget that in 2019 we had a chance to win the 6 nations had we beaten Wales....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

France are not going to be pushovers. Their attack is very very good, their nine ten combo are really good and Shaun Edwards is the defense coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

One bonus point win we should have them bested in points difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

One bonus point win we should have them bested in points difference

Based on February's form, you'd back England to rack up more of a score on Italy than we will, so we likely will need two BP wins, or at least a fairly convincing non-BP win over France.

The good thing is that we'll know exactly what we need from the France game before it kicks off. Just need to get our sh1t together first.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Based on February's form, you'd back England to rack up more of a score on Italy than we will, so we likely will need two BP wins, or at least a fairly convincing non-BP win over France.

The good thing is that we'll know exactly what we need from the France game before it kicks off. Just need to get our sh1t together first.

I reckon with the provincial schedules as they are, Ireland will have a hard time getting back into the flow of it. Things will be easier on more settled teams like England. At this stage this stuff is about recouping lost income more than the actual sporting competition itself so I'm not sure how much it really matters*.

* I retain the right to utterly change my opinion on this should Ireland actually win the 6Ns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭PMC83

Ruaidhri O'Connor saying on OTB that he reckons we'll be seeing plenty of new caps in the coming months.

Lowe being the obvious one, who else could we be seeing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

PMC83 wrote: »
    Ruaidhri O'Connor saying on OTB that he reckons we'll be seeing plenty of new caps in the coming months.

I’d say maybe there will be some young guns leap frog in, there’s quite a few games coming up with plenty of time for someone like Ryan Baird to get a cap that hasn’t quite been earned as it might in a normal season.

salmocab wrote: »
    I’d say maybe there will be some young guns leap frog in, there’s quite a few games coming up with plenty of time for someone like Ryan Baird to get a cap that hasn’t quite been earned as it might in a normal season.

Hes a good call, Tom Farrell? he was in camp before.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'd guess Deegan, Gibson-Park, Baird, Baloucoune, Fineen Wycherly, Goggin, Blade could be in the mix?

aloooof wrote: »
    I'd guess Deegan, Gibson-Park, Baird, Baloucoune, Fineen Wycherly, Goggin, Blade could be in the mix?

Dunno would we see both Gibson-Park and Blade? Both good enough but we are pretty stacked I think. Would prefer to see Cooney move into the top spot if anything

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Dunno would we see both Gibson-Park and Blade? Both good enough but we are pretty stacked I think. Would prefer to see Cooney move into the top spot if anything

Good point, alright. Injuries as well will likely play a part too. I think Ryan and Henderson are both due to be back, but something like 2 starters in the one position being injured could mean a great opportunity for someone like Baird.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,667 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

aloooof wrote: »

Deegan has already been capped. And in light of Carbery's continued injury woes we might see a new 10 get a run out. Burns at Ulster is Irish qualified and maybe Harry Byrne or Ciaran Frawley will make extended squads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Ruaidhri O'Connor saying on OTB that he reckons

I'll stop ya there....:pac:

It was a conversation starter from him to big up Lowe

OTB has a very definite formula for about the last year in terms of how they want to talk about certain topics particularly the national team and who they see being brought into it.

theboss80 wrote: »
    I'll stop ya there....:pac:

It was a conversation starter from him to big up Lowe

OTB has a very definite formula for about the last year in terms of how they want to talk about certain topics particularly the national team and who they see being brought into it.

I'll keep going regardless. Cos its fun.

Madigan?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

I'll keep going regardless. Cos its fun.

Madigan?!

My opinion would be he would need to play his way back into the squad. This year might be too early for him but if the new season starts well we could see him in contention next Feb.

Remember also he will need to be preforming as well as Sexton, Carbery and Byrne to be considered and even then he could be in same position as JJ where he is playing alot for province but country selection doesn't have the trust in you to start. He'll be involved with national training squads but I think his ship may have sailed unless there is an injury crisis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

If we don't throw caution to the wind this year then we never will. Hopefully the time off has given andy space to assess and get comfortable. We need a full reboot from the last 12 months imo. Maybe Murray rediscovers his form etc. Lowe is a no brainer. baird as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,667 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Hes a good call, Tom Farrell? he was in camp before.

Tom Farrell's issue is that we've plenty of good 13's already in place. Ringrose is first choice and in the event of injury we have Henshaw, who played very well against Wales this 6N, and Chris Farrell after that. Not saying that he'll never get a look in, but rather that outside centre is a position we've plenty of depth in. That's not the case with flyhalf, wing or second row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

With six games in seven weeks, I'd expect a 45-man squad and probably most of them to see game time at some point. Who gets a shot probably depends on who's injured and who's deemed past it.

Hopefully the chances go to younger guys with more potential than mid-range guys who are never going to be test class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Madigan is an interesting one as he covers 3 positions well and is a high percentage goalkicker. If he rediscovers his old Leinster form he could easily fill the Steyn bench role should Farrell wish to experiment with a 6/2 split.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Madigan's "old Leinster form" couldn't get him a consistent starting role there and his career has fallen away since then. There's little to no chance of him getting capped again outside of a crazy injury crisis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement