Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Man Up" campaign by SafeIreland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

Back in January our leader Varadkar was warning us about the "epidemic of domestic abuse" now we are being warned again about the "epidemic of domestic abuse".... they love the old emotive rhetoric....like Rape Culture, Gender Pay Gaps....I've actually heard about the orgasm gap....it's like dealing with teenagers!

I wonder why they never mention the education gap?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

newport2 wrote: »
    I wonder why they never mention the education gap?

Or the health gap.
    Or the spend gap.
    Or the justice gap...

They are deluded, that is why.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭iptba

New domestic violence ad campaign tells victims support is 'still here' despite the pandemic
    https://www.thejournal.ie/domestic-violence-support-ad-campaign-ireland-5074546-Apr2020/

Good to see that there is a specific audio ad for male victims as well as an audio ad for female victims.
    However, there only seems to be a TV ad for female victims.

I also checked here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwAHbBLygV4TH_qdzh1JqSA/videos and here https://www.stillhere.ie/awareness-campaign/

"I feel constantly suffocated": The domestic violence epidemic raging behind closed doors of Covid-19

The first part of Noteworthy’s in-depth investigation into domestic abuse finds that services are dangerously underfunded during the coronavirus crisis.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/domestic-violence-investigation-coronavirus-crisis-part-one-5076812-Apr2020/

It includes abuse on males, though I haven't read it so far, to see whether it is balanced.

iptba wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/domestic-violence-investigation-coronavirus-crisis-part-one-5076812-Apr2020/

It includes abuse on males, though I haven't read it so far, to see whether it is balanced.
    Interesting to see that people still believe things like the following and are willing to post them publicly:
    they do mention men but the vast vast vast amount of domestic abuse is perpetrated by men. Fact

• Advertisement

Domestic violence reports up 30% in some areas since lockdown, says Garda
    Women’s Aid urges people to report suspected abuse as calls to its service increase
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/domestic-violence-reports-up-30-in-some-areas-since-lockdown-says-garda-1.4238362

I think all the comments in this from the gardai are gender neutral, but then the comments from Women's Aid are not. While we are used to that, the fact that those charities for female victims only are so big in comparison to any that support male victims means that media reporting is very often unbalanced.

And of course, even the charities for female victims generally do not mention female perpetrators i.e. in same-sex relationships.

Meitheal na mBan – A fundraiser by TG4 to raise money for Women’s Aid.
    https://journalofmusic.com/listing/19-05-20/meitheal-na-mban-sharon-shannon-nell-ni-chroinin-and-wyvern-lingo

I'm not holding my breath for TG4 to also do a fundraiser for a charity for male victims.

Man will avoid jail if he drinks beer, not spirits
    Alcohol misuse organisation Alcohol Action Ireland said the court was misguided in attempting to protect the victim.

A spokesman said: “Alcohol, regardless of what product is consumed, will always be a mind altering, psychoactive drug that contributes to a range of harms to others.

However, no matter what level of alcohol was deemed to have been a contributing factor here, it can never be an excuse for exonerating male violence towards women.”
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/man-will-avoid-jail-if-he-drinks-beer-not-spirits-1002351.html

Mildly interesting that they couldn't bring themselves to use gender-neutral language in the bolded bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mildly interesting that they couldn't bring themselves to use gender-neutral language in the bolded bit.

They were referring to this specific case tbf.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    They were referring to this specific case tbf.
    I’m not sure I’ve heard a similar body say something like:
    However, no matter what level of alcohol was deemed to have been a contributing factor here, it can never be an excuse for exonerating female violence towards men.”
    Indeed, you rarely hear official bodies use the term “female violence against men”, particularly in the context of individual cases.

• Advertisement

Three cases reported in the Irish Times:
    ---
    In a sworn statement to the court, the man said there was an incident at their home last week, where the woman “ran at me with a blade” and that he was “up against the wall”.

The man, who was only present in court, said the woman was “rubbing the blade against my chin and didn’t stop until I was crying”.

The man said, “This is the third time she has pulled a knife on me.” He said his partner was now living elsewhere with their children.
    ---
    Separately, a woman secured an interim barring order against her husband after she told the court he punched her in the face and threatened to kill her on Bank Holiday Monday.
    ---
    Separately, a woman secured a protection order on an ex-parte basis against her grandson.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/man-gets-protection-order-after-partner-ran-at-him-with-a-blade-1.4268904

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Do you hate women?
    Or hate their portrayal in life ?

At IPTBA ….

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

greenspurs wrote: »
    Do you hate women?

huh? Who is it directed towards? What's that supposed to mean?

I hate the fact that there is a form of gender discrimination in how victims of domestic violence are supported and how the issue is discussed in society and the media.

I hate the way so relatively few people highlight this, particularly those in positions of power, but I can understand why it can happen as some people are prone to make ad hominem attacks on people who speak up for men in society. So I tend to dislike people who try to silence people who speak up to highlight issues that affect men. In some ways, they are the core problem that make change difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

greenspurs wrote: »
    Do you hate women?

At IPTBA ….

Classic shaming tactic.

It's like if you ever hear "who hurt you"....it is manipulation 1.1, school girl bully tactics.

Classic shaming tactic.

It's like if you ever hear "who hurt you"....it is manipulation 1.1, school girl bully tactics.

Actually, it's the ignorance that annoys me the most about it. iptba's posts are very clear and easy to read. It's not as if someone has to put in any real effort to see a trend in the type of posts he submits.

I've never seen him post anything nasty about women. Never. But some yob comes along, sees that he's not playing up to the party line, and so, it must mean he hates women or some other rubbish. It's this kind of ignorance that annoys me because it just shows how shallow some people are becoming.

Some touching words from a very young girl who has presumably seen some distressing domestic strife
    https://www.facebook.com/NTDTelevision/videos/2808170575891701/?vh=e&d=n

Frustrating that this is one of the top comments, a phenomenon I and others have mentioned before:
    Wow so smart she just wants peace in her home and in the world and for everybody to smile and be happy god bless you.. keep calming your mom down. I wonder what the dad did to get the mom so upset..

Why don’t you ever listen to me? How many times do I have to tell you not to do that?

No one likes to be nagged. And yet it’s one of the most common ways that people can sour their relationships.

We’ve all come across couples in which one constantly appears to be nagging the other, with a seemingly unending stream of sniping, griping and nit-picking.

It may sound innocuous, but according to new research, it can actually kill. Professor Jamila Bookwala and a team from Lafayette College in Pennsylvania interviewed 1,734 men and women for the U.S.’s National Social Life, Health and Ageing project.

They found that people who reported high levels of criticism from their partner were more than twice as likely to die prematurely.

The effect was the same for both men and women and was independent of other factors, such as having friends or family who might be expected to protect them from the effects of nagging.

It’s clear there is something about an unending drip-drip of negativity that can cause serious damage to people’s health.

Those who were nagged frequently had a 44 per cent higher risk of dying within five years than those who were criticised only occasionally. From the least criticised to the most, there was a 107 per cent increase in mortality.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8488677/DR-MAX-PEMBERTON-drip-drip-nagging-damages-health.html

Organisations working to combat domestic violence are “deeply concerned” at moves they say will “downgrade” the issue by moving it out of the Department of Justice and into the newly-expanded Department of Children, Disability, Equality and Integration.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/moving-domestic-violence-brief-from-justice-a-downgrade-1.4312961
    The programme for government describes domestic violence as an “epidemic” and commits the Government to: “Conduct an immediate audit, to be concluded within nine months of the formation of the government, of how responsibility for domestic sexual and gender-based violence is segmented across different government agencies, and develop proposals on what infrastructure is needed to ensure the issue is dealt with in the most effective manner possible”.
    I wonder what effect this might have. Sometimes initiatives can go too far, e.g. initiatives at increasing conviction rates for sexual assault has led to problems for defendants in the US and UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Does anyone have statistics or anecdotal stories of how common domestic abuse is in Ireland?

A friend works in social care/child development who normally does home visits and domestic abuse has sky rocketed in one praticular part of society, can't say it as I'll get banned...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    A friend works in social care/child development who normally does home visits and domestic abuse has sky rocketed in one praticular part of society, can't say it as I'll get banned...

Don't be silly, spill

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    py2006 wrote:
    Don't be silly, spill

Pretty much. Just don't make any insulting remarks, and there would be no reason for any kind of ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

py2006 wrote: »
    Don't be silly, spill

Let's say Peter Casey isn't a fan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

None the wiser

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

py2006 wrote: »
    None the wiser

Irish ethnic minority.

https://twitter.com/IanBroughall/status/1291347151147204608
    A number of people on Twitter are saying she shouldn't have been charged and she was only charged because she was a woman. I find that hard to believe: if a man hit a woman with a lamp when she was sleeping, I doubt he would get that much sympathy. I certainly have little sympathy for people who hit others when they are sleeping.

Vetting? What Vetting?

In 2017, Welsh grandmother Anne O’Regan complained to the EHRC (Equality and Human Rights Commission) about the Dyn Project, a Welsh domestic abuse service for men operated by Safer Wales and supported by the Welsh Government. She complained that the service was discriminating against men by subjecting callers to a vetting procedure, something not done for female callers to similar helplines. Despite the complaint being directed through her Welsh Assembly member, the EHRC’s initial reaction was that there was no basis for the complaint. The EHRC Wales Commissioner’s office initially replied,

“The Dyn Project provides support to Heterosexual, Gay, Bisexual and Trans men who are experiencing Domestic abuse from a partner. The Dyn Project has developed five guiding principles for its work with men. These include that a clear screening protocol is essential in order to identify, and respond appropriately, to counter-allegations. Screening is not commonplace within services for women because women constitute the overwhelming majority of those abused.”

http://empathygap.uk/?p=3286

I wonder does such screening of male callers happen in Ireland?

http://empathygap.uk/?p=3286

I wonder does such screening of male callers happen in Ireland?
    Some more from this long blog post:

There is much that is valid within the Toolkit, for example the description of the sorts of abuse which men face in section 2.1, some of which are specific to being male. In particular it is significant that forms of abuse which use children as weapons are included here, such as “telling him if he tries to leave he will never see the children again”. The inclusion of sexual coercion or belittlement is also to be applauded in this section. Also listed is “telling him that nobody will believe him because he is a man”. Unfortunately that is likely to be true, and ironically this very Toolkit promotes precisely that.

There is a new section on toxic masculinity which they redub as “harmful expressions of masculinities” because, apparently, they have noticed that we unwashed idiots seemed to be getting the impression that “toxic masculinity” means that men are toxic. Allow me to return the compliment. Supergluing the adjective “toxic” to “masculinity” is itself harmful – and you, feminist lobby, did it. Deliberately. However, there is truth in this section too. For example it is observed that…

Perpetrators might use the expectation of gendered roles to abuse, this might take any of the following forms;
    • • If you were a real man you wouldn’t put up with this
    • • If you were a real man you’d provide better for your family
    • • If you were a real man you would be able to satisfy me sexually

But, I ask you, why is this not called toxic femininity? Why does it appear in a Section on toxic masculinity?

The reason is that the feminist mindset adheres firmly to the ancient gender scripts, despite the pretence to be the exact opposite. Feminism still insists on seeing men alone as agentic when it comes to causing harms. So, the above example of female perpetrated abuse becomes reinterpreted as the fault of toxic masculinity. To quote a survey of male victims, one abusive female partner said, “why do you make me hit you?”. There’s denial of agency for you – denial of responsibility, that is. Under feminism, women must never be perceived as the primary aggressor, and this is why “believe the victim” prevails in the female domestic abuse services. The exact opposite – suspicion – applies to male complainants because men are the approved recipients of blame. The vetting of male callers is a manifestation of the ancient gender script.

High Court told daughter poses 'serious risk' to mother's life
    Updated / Wednesday, 9 Sep 2020 15:58
    https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2020/0909/1164211-high-court-daughter-threat/
    The court heard the matter was taken very seriously by gardaí and state agencies and it was felt the teenager's mother should be re-housed outside her current county.
    There is a prior history of assault and sexual violence in the case and an incident earlier in 2019 led to the woman's admission to special care.

• Advertisement

Just watched a bit of the Jihad Jane documentary that someone else is watching here (i.e. I don’t know much about the context). A man discussing one of the cases said it was like she was suffering from battered woman syndrome. Pretty obvious but you don’t hear much of battered man syndrome at all including in the context that it might be a mitigating factor in a crime.

Advertisement