Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

That Ishii/Desperado match from Night 1 is a banger. There was just so much great stuff in it. I'm tempted to put it up there with Tank Nagai/Okabayashi and Tanaka/Endo as my favourite empty arena match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Ishii/Despy was really really good, definitely one of the best empty arena matches so far. Wasn't expecting much going into it but I enjoyed Hiromu/Honma too, was wincing for a few of the bumps though, battle of the broken necks.

Can't wait to catch Nagata/Suzuki today, should be a cracker.

Ishii/Despy was really really good, definitely one of the best empty arena matches so far. Wasn't expecting much going into it but I enjoyed Hiromu/Honma too, was wincing for a few of the bumps though, battle of the broken necks.

Can't wait to catch Nagata/Suzuki today, should be a cracker.

Best Honma has looked since he came back. The ring apron bump did make me cringe a bit. I liked that it took everything for Hiromu to put him away, he's still a junior and beating even a low ranked heavyweight is difficult. High hopes for the Nagata/Suzuki match and would be shocked if Okada/Gedo isn't entertaining.

That Uemura/Kanemaru match was a banger. I'm putting the house on Uemura to be a huge star even if I doubt I'd get great odds on it. It looks nailed on. He's got the fundamentals, has really good fire and a great look. At 5 foot 10 he'll probably have to go the junior heavyweight route at first but that's absolutely fine, he's a gem.

JUSTICE!!!! Nagata/Suzuki bangs. ****1/2, that's the best Covid era match anywhere no doubt.

• Advertisement

That was the best day yet of the NJC, Shingo/SHO was class and Ibushi/ZSJ was really good too. Shingo is one of the most underrated in the world, put him in with anyone and you're nearly guaranteed a banger. Good to see some upsets to freshen things up a little.

Ye two really good matches on today's show, Shingo/Sho in particular and cool to see Sho get his win over Shingo and set up a NEVER title shot.

Ishii/Hiromu is a must watch from today's show. ****1/2. EVIL working heel is pretty great, destroyed Yoshi-Hashi and I hope this is the direction they stick with for him coming out of the tournament. Wasn't mad about the final 2 matches today, too much shenanigans, Ishimore getting too much offence on Okada and Taichi/Sanada sleep walking through the 1st half of the match even if it did pick up in the 2nd half.

Man Hiromu/Ishii was class, one of the best matches of the year so far, pity they didn't have a crowd for it!

Is Gedo trolling us by booking this tournament only to get to another Okada/SANADA match. EVIL/Okada interests me way more, just can't see Hiromu beating Okada, hopefully I'm wrong so we get the Hiromu/Naito match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Soooooooo.

Dominion spoilers.
    EVIL defected from LIJ to join Bullet Club and beat Naito to become IWGP Heavyweight Champion and Intercontinental Champion. That's a move completely out of left field especially when everyone was expecting Naito to finally have a long run as champion after defeating Okada at Wrestle Kingdom. Makes sense booking wise as KENTA and Jay White are out of Japan due to the virus. Keeps Bullet Club looking strong. But on a purely emotional level it sucks being a Naito fan right now.

Poor Naito, wasn't expecting that :( Evil EVIL is class though, definitely fresheness things up in NJPW.

The entire NJPW weekend was shocking. I know a lot of people hate it but you have all of these characters and stories that you're invested in and watching it play out I thought was incredible. Without wanting to sound a bit over the top by the end of Dominion the feeling was the same I'd have watching a big prestige drama get to its season defining set piece. The matches didn't peak particularly high but I didn't think they had to, this weekend was all about the story and what comes out of it.

For Naito it's sad, his title reign derailed by a global pandemic but I'm excited to see where it all goes.

Away from NJPW, the 2AW main event between Okabayashi and Yoshida was an absolute banger. ****1/4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Hiromu screaming in the ring at the end was an incredible visual. If you had of told me someone from LIDJ would leave I would have said SANADA for sure, but EVIL doing this was not only shocking, but also made sense when you saw it happen, even if you never would have seen it coming.

I honestly think this is going to be the big jump for SANADA if we are looking at long term booking. LIDJ will be sending everyone after EVIL to be the one to get revenge, and I can see SANADA being someone in the background that people don't expect to beat him, but it'll be the push that he needs to be moved into the main event. I know NJPW can we weird when it comes to AJPW vets, but SANADA has more than proven himself. (Even though I'd be happier for Shingo to get a run with the belt since I'm a stupidly large mark for the man).

Was it a weekend that gave us the 5* matches? No, but we did get great matches and even better moments.

Quiet enough Sengoku Lord, the Despy/SHINGO and EVIL/Hiromu matches were very good. Bit of a breakout performance against a heavyweight from Takahashi, him and Ishimori for the junior heavyweight title will be excellent.

Interested in seeing what they have planned for the Summer Struggle Tour and finding out what this pretty controversial idea is that Okada has.

The New Japan Cup 2020 USA bracket has been announced, the matches will form part of the new NJPW Strong show. If I was a betting man I'd say KENTA wins it and eventually takes the US strap from Moxley.

Also a pretty stacked eight team tag tournament has been announced to crown new NEVER Openweight six man champions. Interestingly Okada is included in a team with SHO and Yano, never thought I'd see the Rainmaker going for the six man straps.

Looking forward to DG Memorial Gate tomorrow. It's been quite a while since they have done one of the big multi man matches, the 3 stable war Wakayama rules tornado match will be balls to the walls action.

Yoshi Hashi finally picks up his first championship in NJPW, taking hold of the NEVER Openweight six-man titles along with Goto and Ishii. Took a while but I'm glad he got his first title before Master Wato got one.

SHINGO/Suzuki has been announced for Summer Struggle and also see that ACH is back in NJPW as part of the NJPW Strong show.

It's been a great few weeks of action in Japan with Eita surprisingly winning the Dream Gate championship from Naruki Doi, and Giulia picking up a massive statement victory over Maya Iwutani to emphasise the dominance of Donna Del Mondo in the opening stages of the STARDOM 5 Star GP.

With the GP in full swing, and the G1, the N1 Victory and the Champion Carnival all on the horizon the action is picking up big time in Japan.

I'm about a million years behind on wrestling at the moment. Last show I've watched aside from Dynamite is the Sengoku Lord show (grand, enjoyed Hiromu/EVIL a bit more than the consensus). But I really want to catch up on the King of DDT stuff and get myself back up to date on DDT. Though my method for watching Dragon Gate has let me down lately so unfortunately I missed the big Eita win.

Man forgot all about the King of DDT, there isn't enough hours in the day to watch all the puroresu. Eita winning clean was huge, turned out to be a great match, recommend catching it if you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement

Naito gets the belts back :) Much better match between him and EVIL this time, Suzuki and Shingo was a cracker too. Hiromu losing is interesting with the rumored open-weight G1 coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

According to wiki the G1 is supposed to start on the 19th, have the blocks been announced yet?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    According to wiki the G1 is supposed to start on the 19th, have the blocks been announced yet?

The participants are being announced on this Wednesday's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

what are the rules with outside talent being able to travel in still very restricted?

Block A

Kota Ibushi
    Kazuchika Okada
    Tomohiro Ishii
    Shingo Takagi
    Yujiro Takahashi
    Taichi
    Minoru Suzuki
    Will Ospreay
    Jeff Cobb
    Jay White

Block B

Hiroshi Tanahashi
    Hirooki Goto
    Toru Yano
    Yoshi Hashi
    SANADA
    Tetsuya Naito
    EVIL
    Zack Sabre Jr.
    Juice Robinson
    KENTA

Love that announcement, two great blocks. Early stand outs are
    Shingo/Okada, Shingo/Ospreay, Ibushi/Suzuki, KENTA/ZSJ and Naito/Tanahashi.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Block A

Kota Ibushi
    Kazuchika Okada
    Tomohiro Ishii
    Shingo Takagi
    Yujiro Takahashi
    Taichi
    Minoru Suzuki
    Will Ospreay
    Jeff Cobb
    Jay White

Block B

Hiroshi Tanahashi
    Hirooki Goto
    Toru Yano
    Yoshi Hashi
    SANADA
    Tetsuya Naito
    EVIL
    Zack Sabre Jr.
    Juice Robinson
    KENTA

Love that announcement, two great blocks. Early stand outs are
    Shingo/Okada, Shingo/Ospreay, Ibushi/Suzuki, KENTA/ZSJ and Naito/Tanahashi.

I love how every year one block always looks a lot stronger on first viewing, but then the more you look at the other, the stronger it looks.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I love how every year one block always looks a lot stronger on first viewing, but then the more you look at the other, the stronger it looks.

Always the way man! Block A obviously jumps off the page as the standout this year, but like you said the more you look at B...

B has a lot of guys who either put on a worldie or a very mediocre performance depending on how motivated they are, I'm thinking Naito, SANADA, EVIL, KENTA, Goto. Hopefully they are motivated to outperform Block A!

Also two first time encounters in Ishii/Ospreay and Ibushi/Shingo stand out as potential crackers.

Delighted with those blocks. OK there's Yujiro, but the injection of the internationally based guys has strengthened and freshened up the lineups considerably and, as expected, I'm very excited for the G1.

In terms of winners I've no read on it at all so I'll go with Jay White.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Delighted with those blocks. OK there's Yujiro, but the injection of the internationally based guys has strengthened and freshened up the lineups considerably and, as expected, I'm very excited for the G1.

In terms of winners I've no read on it at all so I'll go with Jay White.

Id love to see Shingo myself. Its very unpredictable which means at least it will be exciting.

• Advertisement

My heart says Shingo or Ishii, my head says Okada or the Switchblade!

Advertisement