Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boating chit chat thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    There's two more Saturdays left in the DBSC series, but the DMYC September Series is under way http://dmyc.ie/afloat/september-series/.

Then once that finishes, the Turkey Shoot gets going in mid-October I think - Sunday mornings until mid-December. Great fun!

ETA - just looked at the September Series results - there ain't a whole lot of boats in it this year! So I doubt that's the reason for low entries in Howth.....

Serious bit of kit!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Serious bit of kit!

Something like that is the EuroMillions boat!! (if winning north of €120M)

Maybe not as big though!! I'd settle for a hundred footer.

(less than €100m and its probably only a nice 80-90ft Swan)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

Something like that is the EuroMillions boat!! (if winning north of €120M)

Maybe not as big though!! I'd settle for a hundred footer.

(less than €100m and its probably only a nice 80-90ft Swan)

The buying part is the cheap part.

neris wrote: »
    The buying part is the cheap part.

Oh I know,

If I bought for €2m, I'd probably need to set aside another 8m for its running costs for a couple of years..

I assume that's a typo in the price or the world's most expensive RIB

https://afloat.ie/boats-for-sale/motor-cruisers/863-redbay-1150

• Advertisement

I saw that on Facebook last week... I think it’s actually genuine..

I saw that on Facebook last week... I think it’s actually genuine..

For 295K Id rather buy this

https://www.berthon.co.uk/yacht-sales-brokerage/yacht-for-sale/grand-soleil-50-merryn/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Owed by John Brennan and his son. Apparently they are going bigger again...

Not to my taste, that kind of money buys you a world of choice.

I knew as soon as the restrictions were lifted, the weather would turn absolutely sh1te!!!

I'm just glad I got the boat launched early into the lifting of restrictions, and got a few days out on her before the weather returned to being Irish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭amber2

Any one know of somewhere that have Yamaha outboard covers In stock in Cork or surrounding areas please can’t seem to locate one.

• Advertisement

amber2 wrote: »
    Any one know of somewhere that have Yamaha outboard covers In stock in Cork or surrounding areas please can’t seem to locate one.

What size/year engine is it?
    Have you tried eBay?

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=yamaha+outboard+cover&_sacat=0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭amber2

Have you tried eBay?

Thanks, not for myself they would prefer to buy here in Ireland locally if at all possible, haven’t a notion of HP TBH just know it’s long shaft.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

amber2 wrote: »
    Have you tried eBay?

Thanks, not for myself they would prefer to buy here in Ireland locally if at all possible, haven’t a notion of HP TBH just know it’s long shaft.

They are not the sort of thing you can buy new unless you went straight to the manufactures, your best bet would be ebay unless someone has one sitting in the shed off a non runner. As said above you will need to know the horsepower the year it was made the model and if it is 2 stroke or 4 stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭W1ll1s

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Bloody hell!

What a start to the 2020 season, 8 hour full on race!!

Knackered!

Round Ireland's off. Cancelled this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 41 otterboy

Im looking for an engine latch for my Johnson 2.5HP (Year 2000) outboard

Any Idea where in Munster I might get one or two?

tried to attach a pic but cant - something like the ones on ebay at the link here

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Johnson-3-5hp-Two-Stroke-Hood-Latches-X2/264769733016?hash=item3da5818198:g:sEMAAOSwGMFckiSE

thanks for any info

• Registered Users Posts: 28,775 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Big thing with the Wave was the social side to it and it was going to be impossible to do in the current climate. We,re meant to be doing the offshore to cork weekend after next and we,re even wondering will that go ahead with 25 boats and if it does will we be able to get in for a few pints and a night on the marina before heading back to dublin or will we just have to turn back straight away.

• Advertisement

Was out on Saturday around Ireland’s Eye and there were about 10 Cruisers out of Howth, about 4-5 Puppeteers and a couple of squibs, and the Howth 17’s were just finishing up (they were by far the largest fleet out).

There were also about 10-12 boats out of Malahide racing....

I think it’s time to just call the racing season, and perhaps finish up whatever round the cans series are on-going..

The Dublin to Cork sounds great, but as Neris says, will it be much fun if you have to cross the finish line and turn back for Dublin??

17s were having their championship yesterday & Friday night. The pups and squib were club racing. We were on the isora and was about 20 boats for that. We were in on the beach at greystones on the way back to D.L and the amount of people on the beach in groups wasn't what the govt would like to see

17s were having their championship yesterday & Friday night. The pups and squib were club racing. We were on the isora and was about 20 boats for that. We were in on the beach at greystones on the way back to D.L and the amount of people on the beach in groups wasn't what the govt would like to see
    Seapoint on the way home from Dublin Bay racing was a fairly depressing sight as well.

We spent a week on the Shannon last week, including 2 nights in Banagher (Offaly), and overall we ate out 4 nights.
    3 of the nights we were walk in’s and they never even asked for our names or contact details. (1st night we reserved so they had my details)

Same in the few shops I went into. I got funny looks for being the only one wearing a mask.

Contrast this to one day we went for lunch in a Dublin pub/restaurant a few weeks ago and it was mightily impressive how well they managed the new regulations....

I was in a very remote town in Donegal for a lot of the last two weeks, and was amazed (and delighted) at how diligent everyone was with mask-wearing in the shops, and using of hand sanitiser. The local restaurant was bookings only, and they have a one-way system around the rooms.

It was really busy with camper vans, and some of the more popuar/well-known beaches were absolutely jammers.

Sorry, this is dragging the "boating" thread very off-topic!

Seapoint on the way home from Dublin Bay racing was a fairly depressing sight as well.

Heading back to howth about 11 last night and was a beach party going on beside the Bailey. Music, lights, fires, tents. Its a hard to get to spot aswell so not exactly folks in a mid life crisis. Been like that for last while.

Looking through some of the events to be held on the east coast theres still a fair few club regattas and national championships to be held. Could see the DL regatta in early September going ahead. Very few visitors and DL crews heading to their own clubs and limited mixing but things like Greystones and national championships where there will be a good few boats visiting could be put off. Interesting one this weekend thats still going ahead in the Optimist nationals in Cork. 1 kid sailing brings both parents and maybe a sibling or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Major Dad

Anybody heard any whispers about the Howth Autumn League? That’s got to be looking doubtful as well at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Major Dad wrote: »
    Anybody heard any whispers about the Howth Autumn League? That’s got to be looking doubtful as well at this stage.

Probably doubtful but have not heard anything yet.

• Advertisement

the sailing side of it could probably go ahead but its the social side and numbers of people in the bar where the issues would kick in. bit of outside the box thinking could make it go ahead in some capacity

Advertisement