Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Travel Size LRF Rod & Tackle

• 21-06-2020 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭

Alright lads,

looking to try a bit of LRF fishing after many years of coarse, pike and carp (well, attempting) fishing.

Ideally I'd like a rod that can be broken down into small sections, as I'm not driving at the moment, the DART is my best friend. I'll have a budget of up to €100/120.

I have a small multiplier reel there that I'm toying with taking back out., would that suit?

Reading up it looks like I want a fairly light braided main line (6/8lb) and a flourocarbon leader, then obviously a few snap clips and swivels, anything else I might find myself needing or would be good to have?

Also, any reccomended spots good for a beginner?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have a 7ft Savage Gear LRF Paired with a Okuma Helios reel that I use for both sea and course and is now my only angling sport. I love the rod and its hard to fault and in combination with the reel its like a marriage made in heaven.

I normally use 8lb braid for sea and 4lb braid for most course and then I have leader & rigs from 2 to 8lb depending on the venue. I also have mono only setups for when braid is too sensitive for the bait. I even carry traces for when the jack pike take over from the perch or trout in a swim. My kit fits in a waistcoat/life preserver combo and includes spinners, jig heads, drop shot, anti snag jigs, hard lures, surface poppers, soft worms, shads, minnows up to 5 inch. Each favourite bait I will use a natural, a white and a “mad” colour.

I have 2 hot spots that I regularly fish on the coast, Ballycotton is the most productive. Some great spots along the cliff walk and then head down the Boreens to the rocks. It can be quite a climb and I highly recommend life jackets as the best spots can be difficult to get to. Pollack is plenty full and I have never blanked in Ballycotton for them. Bass is good there as well if you cast further out from the rocks. Late in the summer mackerel are almost a pest. I have also got a few dab but I prefer the sport from pollack.

2nd spot is near Bantry in Eagle Point camping. They have some rocks that reach into the bay and right next to the pitches that produce Pollack, Mackerel and wrasse. Also flatfish can be found if you move to the southern most part of the site. I will often stay the the weekend and BBQ any pollack, flats or mackerel I catch for lunch or dinner.

For the reel I would say the multiplier is not the best choice and I would stick with fixed spool, much of the fishing is done on the drop and close in that barely needs a cast. It would work but presentation I would think would be much easier with the fixed spool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Just noticed the Dart reference for location, Lions Head in Howth will be good for Pollack. I used to live in Portmarnock and cycle down with my gear. Definitely wear a life vest here and let someone know where you are going :pac:

I used to try a few spots along the Malahide road as well. Its hard to explain where they but there can be good fishing once you find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

I have a Savage Gear Roadrunner XLNT2 Rod 4 piece rod, brilliant rod for the money and have caught salmon over 40lbs on it. Worth looking in to it, breaks down to about 2 ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Thanks lads! There'll be a trip to Southside on Saturday morning so!

I'll definitely be adding a life preserver to my list. Not a fan of drowning if I'm honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭.red.

Not technically an LRF rod but I've a Shakespeare agility travel rod. It's 4 piece, rated 2-15g and has a carry case.
    It's lovely to use, it doesn't feel like a travel rod.
    I bought it for a trip to Portugal and now use it on my local river for trout when I use the bike for transport.
    I've a small 1500 Shimano on mine with 6lb braid. I wouldn't fancy trying to cast tiny lures with a multi, definitely not with braid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

As an option see if you can get a quiver tip travel rod, you'll likely save a few quid avoiding the LRF name. I had a google there and theres plenty of options.

Seriously though, I had a shimano canal quiver tip rod 3 piece 11ft it wasnt travel size but it was an exceptional float, feeder, lrf even micro jigging rod and light spinning. Best thing was it was given to me as a gift in 1996 well before LRF concept came out. I only sold it a few months back as I was using it less and less every year. Kinda ragin I did now as I loved it. Caught a 12lb pike on it and still to this date it would be my favourite rod ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Ended up getting a savage gear MPP2 with a 10-40g weight range. Bit heavier than I was thinking, but it's a perfect size for throwing in a bag and buggering off for a few hours. Feels lovely though and it's a great weight too.

Now to raid me old Pike and coarse gear for some useful bits!

Advertisement