Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I want to do an Ironman next year.

• 03-06-2020 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I posted this over in the athletics and running section, they suggested I ask ye knowledgeable bunch.

I don't know why but I've always had it in my head that I'd love to complete an Ironman triathlon.

Now I'm seriously considering signing myself up for one.

I've Youghal 2021 in my head.
    I'm also considering the Hardman in Kerry, namely because it's cheaper but part of me wants to complete an Ironman event.. Solely for having 'completed an Ironman'.

I'd have 14 months to train.

I'm 23, just shy of 10st, 5'7, and generally in 'alright' shape.
    I'm not carrying any injuries, my only issue is my mild asthma.
    I was very fit in my late teens but I've slacked off since going to college.

I'm just getting 'properly' into cycling, but I love it.
    I was a very strong swimmer as a teen, qualified as a lifeguard and all that, but I could do with getting my cardio back up.
    Haven't ran consistently in awhile, probably struggle with a 5k, as bad as it sounds.

I went for a 15 mile cycle yesterday, managed it in under an hour 10.
    Also went for a 'run' that morning, my watch died but 4k took me around 25 or so minutes.

I know I'd be signing myself up for an expensive and gruelling year but it's just something I've always had in the back of my mind.

Has anyone here completed one?

Any recommended routines/training plans?

Part of me just sees this as the ultimate test, part of me just wants to commit to something intense and actually follow through, I've mentioned it to my family and while they think it's mad they've all said 'I'd say you could do it'.

This could very well wash over like so many things have but I'll at least give it some attention now..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I'd be a fan of a few years lead into doing an IM, start with some sprints in year one and build up.

That being said lots of people do just jump in and do one in year 1.

Everyone here will recommend Don Finks book, not read it myself mind.

Thing about a plan is that for IM it does need to be tailored. Sounds like you can swim, bike a bit but cannot run. That would be the inverse to the typical ironman wannabe.

Lots of people here have done IMs. The likes of Peter kerns, Zico10 and LCD have done very very fast ones too so lots of peoples brains to pick.

Tl;DR version - yes you can do one in a year, but maybe a slower entry could be more enjoyable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Make sure ya join a running/cycling or a tri club.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Possible to do in 1 year, but you would lose all the enjoyment and may get injured.

As with Tunney - I am in the build slowly and enjoy the ride camp.

Start with the Sprint and maybe Olympic - move to half for 1-2 years and then see if you prefer short or long, plus your body is more ready for the full training with the gradual build.

Most endure the swim to get out on the roads, but I am similar to you and come from swim background and surprised myself on how much I enjoy the other 2 now.

Join a club, the knowledge within and encouragement will help a lot. You may even find someone to take on the journey with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

tunney wrote: »
    I'd be a fan of a few years lead into doing an IM, start with some sprints in year one and build up.

That being said lots of people do just jump in and do one in year 1.

Everyone here will recommend Don Finks book, not read it myself mind.

Thing about a plan is that for IM it does need to be tailored. Sounds like you can swim, bike a bit but cannot run. That would be the inverse to the typical ironman wannabe.

Lots of people here have done IMs. The likes of Peter kerns, Zico10 and LCD have done very very fast ones too so lots of peoples brains to pick.

Tl;DR version - yes you can do one in a year, but maybe a slower entry could be more enjoyable.

Part of thinking is just that this would be the best year for me to do it.
    I'm in college, but we won't be starting back to normal any time soon.
    I've work placement next semester, so that's a 9-5 Monday to Friday job.
    Next year I'll be in my final year which is a no go, and after that I hope to be starting into full time employment, if I'm moving out money will be tight..
    So this year, even though it isn't ideal, it's still my best bet.

I'll give the books a look, thank you!

I went out for a run yesterday after a short cycle, I managed to run a mile in 9 minutes, would have been faster but I left my phone inside..
    I'm just happy that I can actually run a mile without stopping at this point.

Would you recommend hiring a coach? I see a lot of posts suggesting that.

Make sure ya join a running/cycling or a tri club.

Will do!

I was going to join the cycling club awhile back but they said they're not taking new registrations until after Covid.

I realise a year is a long way off but still not all that much time to prepare..
    In my head it makes sense that I'd do a few 5k runs, group cycles, maybe a sprint or even olympic tri in the mean time almost as a way to gauge my progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Like the others I'd recommend building up to an IM in a few years especially as you're so young. I started off with sprints, then in my 2nd year Olympics', 3rd year Half Ironman & it wasn't until my 4th year I did a full one.

Also the year I did my first one, there were about 18 of us from the club I was in that did an ironman. Most of us got under 12-13 hours and the one person who barely made it in under the cut off time of 15 hours was the person who had only done a year in triathlon and he was also in his 20's. A few years later he did another one in sub 12 hours. Just something else to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I wouldn't really expect having a job to impact your ability to train very badly. Surely the majority of people who complete an IM are in work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Pick a course that will favour your strengths. Cycling is where Im weak, looking at Barcelona myself.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I wouldn't really expect having a job to impact your ability to train very badly. Surely the majority of people who complete an IM are in work?

Completed my first Ironman (sub ten) working a full time job and with a newborn in the house. All about routine and discipline (neither of which I have now).

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Pick a course that will favour your strengths. Cycling is where Im weak, looking at Barcelona myself.

You'd want to be good at riding in a pack for Barca.

• Advertisement

TheW1zard wrote: »

I'm considering Youghal just because it's in Ireland..
    It's solely down to cost.

I know the cycle is quite hilly, I'm a light fella, 170cm and less than 10st, I should do fairly well there (with some training), the open water swim wouldn't bother me, more buoyancy will help, and the runs straight forward as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

If you want to enjoy the journey and form good habits that will last, then take your time and work your way to an ironman over a few years. If you want to tick a box, do it straight away. I think you would get a lot more from it if you take your time. My 2c.

EC1000 wrote: »
    If you want to enjoy the journey and form good habits that will last, then take your time and work your way to an ironman over a few years. If you want to tick a box, do it straight away. I think you would get a lot more from it if you take your time. My 2c.

Triathlons are 100% something I'm interested in, but a big part of this is so I can tick the Ironman box.

I think a year is doable, but not ideal, but the fact that it's not entirely unreasonable makes me want to do it.

Set myself a straight forward challenge, complete an Ironman in 14 months time.
    I'd be happy to crawl over the finish line in the final hour, I'd ideally aim for better but the end goal is to just finish.

MrMiata wrote: »
    Triathlons are 100% something I'm interested in, but a big part of this is so I can tick the Ironman box.

I think a year is doable, but not ideal, but the fact that it's not entirely unreasonable makes me want to do it.

I'd be happy to crawl over the finish line in the final hour, I'd ideally aim for better but the end goal is to just finish.

One and done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I posted this over in the athletics and running section, they suggested I ask ye knowledgeable bunch.

I don't know why but I've always had it in my head that I'd love to complete an Ironman triathlon.

Now I'm seriously considering signing myself up for one.

I've Youghal 2021 in my head.
    I'm also considering the Hardman in Kerry, namely because it's cheaper but part of me wants to complete an Ironman event.. Solely for having 'completed an Ironman'.

I'd have 14 months to train.

I'm 23, just shy of 10st, 5'7, and generally in 'alright' shape.
    I'm not carrying any injuries, my only issue is my mild asthma.
    I was very fit in my late teens but I've slacked off since going to college.

I'm just getting 'properly' into cycling, but I love it.
    I was a very strong swimmer as a teen, qualified as a lifeguard and all that, but I could do with getting my cardio back up.
    Haven't ran consistently in awhile, probably struggle with a 5k, as bad as it sounds.

I went for a 15 mile cycle yesterday, managed it in under an hour 10.
    Also went for a 'run' that morning, my watch died but 4k took me around 25 or so minutes.

I know I'd be signing myself up for an expensive and gruelling year but it's just something I've always had in the back of my mind.

Has anyone here completed one?

Any recommended routines/training plans?

Part of me just sees this as the ultimate test, part of me just wants to commit to something intense and actually follow through, I've mentioned it to my family and while they think it's mad they've all said 'I'd say you could do it'.

This could very well wash over like so many things have but I'll at least give it some attention now..

as an strong swimmer the one thing you have to consider is that your engine should be quite good . bit your bones are not prepared to run as much as your engine should allow you.
    not a great idea to go from 0 to marathon in one year.
    the main question is is to be able to do it a good idea you could start tri and do one in proper in 5 years when you are settled
    as for Fink's book good to finish in my mind ****e to race . bit if it's a bucket list do it
    out of interest when you say strong swimmer what times are we talking freestyle ?

peter kern wrote: »
    as an strong swimmer the one thing you have to consider is that your engine should be quite good . bit your bones are not prepared to run as much as your engine should allow you.
    not a great idea to go from 0 to marathon in one year.
    the main question is is to be able to do it a good idea you could start tri and do one in proper in 5 years when you are settled
    as for Fink's book good to finish in my mind ****e to race . bit if it's a bucket list do it
    out of interest when you say strong swimmer what times are we talking freestyle ?

I haven't swam in ages (thanks lockdown), but I was around a minute 15 seconds for 100 meters freestyle.

I ran a mile in 9 minutes a few days ago, I knew I could go faster and yesterday I got off the couch and ran it in 8 minutes.
    I definitely find it's my legs/muscles that are sore rather than my chest.

It'll take some time but I think it's doable in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

It's doable with preparation,my 56 year old brother does it,and a few short years ago cycle or run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Most people that can swim 4km and that are in good general health and fitness could finish an ironman without much training at all. It wouldn't be pretty or much fun but do-able. By finish, I mean get around under the cut off times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I had set myself a similar challenge - Ironman by 40.
    Still working on it as swimming wasn't the piece of p!ss I assumed it would be.
    I've 20+ marathons under my belt and took well to cycling but swimming is my weak spot though I work hard at improving. I like the longer stuff and am onto my 3rd half at the end of September (Covid willing)

I wouldn't do anything differently. The slow build has taught me a lot. Zero to Ironman in a year is doable but like others have said rarely enjoyable.
    Nothing tops experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Drive on lad...Lots of people will try to put you off doing one because they are so consumed with Triathlon that they seem to think there is a qualification required before you can enter an Ironman (not talking about anyone on here!). Well theres not. Its just a triathlon. Granted its a long event, but if you are prepared for it theres no reason you cant finish this. You seem to have no issue with the Swim, the bike will be doable with some training, and you will probably walk the run (like many do).

Go for it and enjoy every second.

• Advertisement

Cona wrote: »
    Drive on lad...Lots of people will try to put you off doing one because they are so consumed with Triathlon that they seem to think there is a qualification required before you can enter an Ironman (not talking about anyone on here!). Well theres not. Its just a triathlon. Granted its a long event, but if you are prepared for it theres no reason you cant finish this. You seem to have no issue with the Swim, the bike will be doable with some training, and you will probably walk the run (like many do).

Go for it and enjoy every second.

No it is based on experience.

In 2010 I did IM Austria after 7 years or tri. Built up through the distances and had a super day and really enjoyed every minute bar 20 minutes in the middle of the run when I walked. Despite this walking I did the marathon on 3:45 and finished in 9:51

In 2019 I did IM Cork. I'd not trained really in 4 years or so and was unprepared really, sorta like doing an Ironman in year one. Bar the first hour or so I hated every single minute of it.

if you want one and done and to tick a box, do unprepared (as you would be with one years training)

If you want to keep doing them and enjoy them then take a multi-year approach to preparation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

If you want to keep doing them and enjoy them then take a multi-year approach to preparation.

To be honest, this is exactly the type of response I wanted to contradict. Just because you didnt enjoy your event because you weren't trained to your fullest, doesn't mean other people will hate it too. Actually, a lot of people will think its quite cool to be involved and be happy to be there.

Its quite possible to train for a year and enjoy completing an Ironman. Enjoy being the key word.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

In 2010 I did IM Austria after 7 years or tri. Built up through the distances and had a super day and really enjoyed every minute bar 20 minutes in the middle of the run when I walked. Despite this walking I did the marathon on 3:45 and finished in 9:51

In 2019 I did IM Cork. I'd not trained really in 4 years or so and was unprepared really, sorta like doing an Ironman in year one. Bar the first hour or so I hated every single minute of it.

if you want one and done and to tick a box, do unprepared (as you would be with one years training)

I get what you’re saying, but do you think anyone actually enjoyed Cork last year :D

EDit wrote: »
    I get what you’re saying, but do you think anyone actually enjoyed Cork last year :D

I am sure some did :) I do get your point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Better to do sprint and olympic year one. Half ironman second year then do full ironman in my book. As others say you will enjoy it more then.
    But you can certainly do it on one year. The club is great source of info and general environment.
    You will learn so much, bike maintence, nutrition doing an Ironman

If not afraid open water then should be ok. Many good swimmers freak out in open water.
    Just care with increased running as most likely this is where injury will stop you achieving your goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

OP did ya sign up in the end?

Advertisement