Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone buy from Canyon lately?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭sann

Chris871 wrote: »
    By chance between my first post and this one my payment has been processed for it. Couldnt make it up, almost like they sensed i was having doubts. All in all just excited to get it now and get off the winter bike. Nice to have the saftey net of their returns policy to fall back on too I suppose.

Ya. Look the more i think about it the more i am thinking I should give it more of a chance.
    Give the drive chain a proper tune up.
    Put a decent set of wheels on it and get a proper bike fit.
    In 12 months time if I still think the Rose is the better bike i will flog the Canyon and buy what will definitely be my last bike. A Rose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Canyon have dropped the GP4000s tyres - a notable feature - from the lower spec'ed bikes. Perhaps its a simple supply issue, but I'd guess they're holding onto a price point and shodding them with the new 5000s would force a price increase. The new tyres are the basic Grand Prix tyres.

A shame but they do have history with this. Ritchey cockpits were changed to Canyon's own brand. The Shimano group specific chains were switched to KMC, although some would argue that wasn't such a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

sann wrote: »
    I have have ridden top end lappiere, cannondales, and treks and if i hadn't had a Rose for the last 12 months I would have said that the Canyon was on par and every bit as good as the others. I just found the Rose a great all rounder. Stiff enough but not uncomfortable. Very assured on decents and a great climbing bike. Ya. We know they are gona be heavier that what rose are saying but I've had lighter bikes that didn't seem as responsive out of the saddle. Don't worry about Canyon. 99% of users on here cant be wrong.

Which rose bike do you have BTW ? I have a 6 year old XEON CW 3000. Still going as good as new and looking around at whats on offer these days cannot find a good reason to replace

Which rose bike do you have BTW ? I have a 6 year old XEON CW 3000. Still going as good as new and looking around at whats on offer these days cannot find a good reason to replace

Had a Crs x-lite ultegra. Black with a hint of yellow. Was supposed to be 6.6kg I think. Was closer to 7.1 but still a fabulous bike. They are only doing it in a white/blue/red scheme that makes it look like a 300 euro Halfords job.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I ordered an Ultimate CF SL 8.0 about 6 weeks ago and they just emailed to say it's ready for collection. I was keeping track of the estimated availability date on my order and was absolutely set to drive down to the showroom on Saturday to pick up the bike (I live in Germany). That plan has been foiled by a very bizarre and frustrating system.

You can only pick up your bike by appointment and every single slot is already booked for next week, Monday to Saturday. What's worse is that every single Saturday slot is booked between now and the middle of May (which is as far as the calendar will go on their website). I can't take time off work next month so I emailed them to see if they'll let me come down on a Saturday anyway. I'll see what they say.

It just makes no sense to me. You can visit the showroom without an appointment to test ride as many bikes as you want. I spent over an hour with one of the staff when I first went to order the bike - that's longer than it would take to pay & collect the bike. The pick-up appointment is described as a 'consultation' but sure there's no consultation for the vast majority of people who have to finish assembly out of the box. If all fails I'll just get them to post it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

They are great bikes but their corporate culture and procedures leave a lot to be desired

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Has anyone ever seen the lead times come down by much on these?
    I'm almost ready to pull the trigger but the choice is black in 2-3 weeks or blue at the end of July. It's only an aesthetic thing but I'd prefer blue though I'm turning towards the black/stealth. First world problems!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Has anyone ever seen the lead times come down by much on these?
    I'm almost ready to pull the trigger but the choice is black in 2-3 weeks or blue at the end of July. It's only an aesthetic thing but I'd prefer blue though I'm turning towards the black/stealth. First world problems!

As someone who made this call before, and regretted it, wait for the one you want, rather than rush for the one you don't.

CramCycle wrote: »
    As someone who made this call before, and regretted it, wait for the one you want, rather than rush for the one you don't.

Thanks. Yes, getting impatient but I still need to wait for end of the month payday regardless.
    Will give me the time to calm myself. Hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Had mine delivered this morning. Got the Ultimate CF SL 8.0, first impressions are great. Only a short spin but felt great. On a more annoying/disappointing note, I ordered a garmin mount with it, for some reason it arrived in a separate delivery this evening. When i went to fit it, I had no joy. The mount is the wrong size/shape. On further inspection I've noticed that the 'cockpit' included with my bike isn't the one mentioned in the bike spec and a different one altogether, hence the mount being the wrong size. I'll be straight onto them in the morning to figure that one out, the 'h36' cockpit I got is €400 on there site so I doubt its a worse component but I'll still be asking the question.

• Advertisement

Had mine delivered this morning. Got the Ultimate CF SL 8.0, first impressions are great. Only a short spin but felt great. On a more annoying/disappointing note, I ordered a garmin mount with it, for some reason it arrived in a separate delivery this evening. When i went to fit it, I had no joy. The mount is the wrong size/shape. On further inspection I've noticed that the 'cockpit' included with my bike isn't the one mentioned in the bike spec and a different one altogether, hence the mount being the wrong size. I'll be straight onto them in the morning to figure that one out, the 'h36' cockpit I got is €400 on there site so I doubt its a worse component but I'll still be asking the question.

Glad to hear the bike is good overall. I've ordered the same one. Pretty weird error on their side to ship the wrong cockpit but I'm not surprised given my current situation.

An update on my order which I originally made on February 16th at the showroom:

I chatted with a Canyon rep last week about collecting my bike in Koblenz. They flat out refused to build the bike without an appointment. The best they could offer was a ''special pick-up'' where they would allow me to collect the bike unbuilt, despite my willingness to make a 400+km round trip.

I told them there wasn't a hope I was driving there just to build it myself. I expressed my frustration with the pick-up-by-appointment-only system and they agreed to ship the bike to me for free. I also ordered some accessories for which they exempted the shipping charge.

A day later there was no change so I chatted with them again - their ''order amendments were not saved'' apparently. I went through the whole conversation again with the rep.

Monday afternoon and there was no change on the situation. I chatted with them again to prompt them into action. Tuesday midday I got confirmation that they would ship the bike - but the delivery charges were included. Yet again, I had to chat with them and asked them to remove the delivery charge which they sorted within a couple of hours. Tuesday night I paid for the bike.

Today it's Wednesday - the accessories are coming separately and should be here tomorrow evening.

They will ship the bike pending receipt of my payment, which should be tomorrow or Friday depending on when they process it.

All of this is in stark contrast to the good service I received at the showroom when I first went to test the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Glad to hear the bike is good overall. I've ordered the same one. Pretty weird error on their side to ship the wrong cockpit but I'm not surprised given my current situation.

An update on my order which I originally made on February 16th at the showroom:

I chatted with a Canyon rep last week about collecting my bike in Koblenz. They flat out refused to build the bike without an appointment. The best they could offer was a ''special pick-up'' where they would allow me to collect the bike unbuilt, despite my willingness to make a 400+km round trip.

I told them there wasn't a hope I was driving there just to build it myself. I expressed my frustration with the pick-up-by-appointment-only system and they agreed to ship the bike to me for free. I also ordered some accessories for which they exempted the shipping charge.

A day later there was no change so I chatted with them again - their ''order amendments were not saved'' apparently. I went through the whole conversation again with the rep.

Monday afternoon and there was no change on the situation. I chatted with them again to prompt them into action. Tuesday midday I got confirmation that they would ship the bike - but the delivery charges were included. Yet again, I had to chat with them and asked them to remove the delivery charge which they sorted within a couple of hours. Tuesday night I paid for the bike.

Today it's Wednesday - the accessories are coming separately and should be here tomorrow evening.

They will ship the bike pending receipt of my payment, which should be tomorrow or Friday depending on when they process it.

All of this is in stark contrast to the good service I received at the showroom when I first went to test the bike.

In contrast to that, my bike shipped a week ahead of schedule. So can’t fault them there. Fingers crossed you aren’t waiting too much longer.

In contrast to that, my bike shipped a week ahead of schedule. So can’t fault them there. Fingers crossed you aren’t waiting too much longer.

My bike arrived yesterday, a good turnaround in the end and it came on my birthday so I'm happy with that. But it also came with the H36 cockpit so the computer mount they sent me doesn't fit either.

It's certainly the same mount as on the bike I tried at the showroom so it seems it's the website that lists the incorrect cockpit.

Disappointingly the gear indexing and derailleur set up was quite bad. The chain was rubbing on the front mech and it wouldn't change into the 11. Really irritating because I can barely index gears normally, but hopeless while hungover. I watched parktool videos, even recruited the girlfriend as a work stand but I just could not suss it. In the end I took it to the LBS. Felt a bit guilty about that but it's not the first time I've been there.

Hopefully I'll finally get to ride it next week. In the meantime I'll have to get on to canyon about sending the correct computer mount.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That aero cockpit is the dogs. It takes a bespoke mount that bolts on under the bars. It's really cool. Dunno how they sent you the wrong one, when I bought the bike I was prompted to buy the matching mount, which I did. A mate of mine bought a cfslx a few years back and at the time thought "fcuk it, I'll pick the mount up later" and 3 years later everytime we're out he muses aloud "Must get one of those bloody mounts" as he once again tries to bodge his Garmin to his bars or stem.

My bike arrived yesterday, a good turnaround in the end and it came on my birthday so I'm happy with that. But it also came with the H36 cockpit so the computer mount they sent me doesn't fit either.

It's certainly the same mount as on the bike I tried at the showroom so it seems it's the website that lists the incorrect cockpit.

Disappointingly the gear indexing and derailleur set up was quite bad. The chain was rubbing on the front mech and it wouldn't change into the 11. Really irritating because I can barely index gears normally, but hopeless while hungover. I watched parktool videos, even recruited the girlfriend as a work stand but I just could not suss it. In the end I took it to the LBS. Felt a bit guilty about that but it's not the first time I've been there.

Hopefully I'll finally get to ride it next week. In the meantime I'll have to get on to canyon about sending the correct computer mount.

Same here regards the indexing. Like Wtf is the mechanic thats signing off on these at. I doubt it's the transport upsetting it. My problem after an evening faffing with it was that the front deraileur cable was over tensioned and no adjustment of barrel or fine adjustment screw on deraileur would do. I got it in the end and to be fair its perfect now. Raced it today and I'm really getting to like this canyon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Indexing was spot on on the bike I bought fwiw

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a canyon bike, but want it relatively quickly. The one I am looking at is “in stock” but I can’t seem to see what this means in terms of delivery. Does anyone have any experience of what sort of timeframe I’d be looking at from payment to delivery for an “in stock” bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Perciville

5 or 6 working days in my case.

In the fine print of 'In Stock' bikes

* Your bike will be shipped to you in this period if we receive your order today and you receive an order confirmation back from us. Please note that once shipped, deliveries take 2-10 days. Products marked 'In stock' will be shipped within 3 working days of successful payment. If the bike you were looking for is "Sold out" then get in touch with us using our Chat tool and one of our advisors will be happy to help you find the right alternative. These shipping dates apply only to forthcoming orders. Orders that are already being processed are not affected by changes to these dates.

EDit wrote: »
    Thinking of pulling the trigger on a canyon bike, but want it relatively quickly. The one I am looking at is “in stock” but I can’t seem to see what this means in terms of delivery. Does anyone have any experience of what sort of timeframe I’d be looking at from payment to delivery for an “in stock” bike?

Mine was on stock. Took 10 days altogether from payment date to delivery date.

• Advertisement

Pulled the trigger just now. Just waiting on the inevitable complaint from BOI that I'm spending my own money again

I kept watch as the Di2 options kept slipping out before it finally dawned on me that I'm not in that bracket yet (plus others in the house keep expecting a holiday of some sort)

A wise man recently said to wait for the bike you really want rather than rush into the one you don't. Glad I listened

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I know this is an old thread and apologies for digging it back up, but its right on topic for me at the moment. Hours of snooping around both Rose and Canyon has left me conflicted. Sizing on the Canyon seems hit and miss compared to the Rose which I decided on fairly easily (comparing old bike geometry). Love the aero bars/stem on Canyon but anxious that it can be difficult to re-adjust afterwards (i know Canyon will swap the bars with 3 weeks or so). Read also that Canyon didn't install grommets where the wires feed through the frame holes on disc frame (daft I know but attention to detail I feel is important).

I emailed Rose, got a reply. Emailed with few follow up questions and nothing, nada. I even found an old email from Udo Brockman and emailed him directly and nothing. Do they not want my business? I chatted with a Canyon dude, and got all answers in 3 minutes!!

Anyone know what might be going on with the Rose camp?

Luxman wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread and apologies for digging it back up, but its right on topic for me at the moment. Hours of snooping around both Rose and Canyon has left me conflicted. Sizing on the Canyon seems hit and miss compared to the Rose which I decided on fairly easily (comparing old bike geometry). Love the aero bars/stem on Canyon but anxious that it can be difficult to re-adjust afterwards (i know Canyon will swap the bars with 3 weeks or so). Read also that Canyon didn't install grommets where the wires feed through the frame holes on disc frame (daft I know but attention to detail I feel is important).

I emailed Rose, got a reply. Emailed with few follow up questions and nothing, nada. I even found an old email from Udo Brockman and emailed him directly and nothing. Do they not want my business? I chatted with a Canyon dude, and got all answers in 3 minutes!!

Anyone know what might be going on with the Rose camp?

Wow. My experience was complete opposite.
    Canyon with no response or a very delayed one, where as Rose were always quick to respond.

For whats it worth if i had my choice in the morning i would choose the rose over the cf sl.
    Having owned an xlite crs and a canyon cf sl i just found the rose more responsive on the climbs and had a generally better build quality about it.
    They no longer do the xlite, but replaced it with a newer model which i didnt like the look of and that was why i changed to canyon.
    When i am in the market again i will return to rose.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

They don't do the xLite? I have one added to my basket ready to click! Just waiting on a human to respond back to me. There is a quick where if you follow the navigation on the website some of the link appear to be broken, but if you 'search' for a bike it shows up. Build time is 6 weeks but Im not in any rush. Would like to see better 'service' though to a new customer.

I was actually looking at Rose bikes during the week, specifically the PRO SL Disc and I had to look twice. the QR on the front wheel is on the right/drive side on them, rear wheel has it on the left where you'd expect. :confused:

Not sure I've seen that on a bike ever.

https://www.rosebikes.com/rose-pro-sl-disc-105-bike-now-2672228?product_shape=mandarin+red

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Enfilade wrote: »
    I was actually looking at Rose bikes during the week, specifically the PRO SL Disc and I had to look twice. the QR on the front wheel is on the right/drive side on them, rear wheel has it on the left where you'd expect. :confused:

Not sure I've seen that on a bike ever.

https://www.rosebikes.com/rose-pro-sl-disc-105-bike-now-2672228?product_shape=mandarin+red

My CAAD12 disc is the same.

Advertisement