Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disc or v brake

Options
  • 24-08-2018 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

So I'm going to buy a trek fx3 for commuting and just wanted your opinion,

Is it worth spending the extra 130 quid and getting the disc break version or is it an unnecessary extra?

Just curious as I've never used a disc break bike.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

are the discs mechanical or hydraulic?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

In my opinion, no. I had a trek with v brakes and never felt it a problem. Currently have a kona Jake with cable disk and don't find them any better or worse. One advantage of disk is no problem with wheel rims going out of true affecting the brakes. One disadvantage is the rear disk gets covered in crud/oil which reduces effectiveness.
    Spend the extra on lights/gear for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd go for the discs if you plan to commute all winter, will save you wanting an upgrade later (to a new bike)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I went discs on my commuter last year and honestly I love them. There is a substantial improvement in braking in all conditions. I also find you can modulate the brakes much better than my previous rim brakes. A poster above mentioned something about rear discs getting covered in oil/dirt. I haven't noticed the same, well I certainly haven't noticed any reduction in brake effectiveness. You can buy a can of brake cleaner to sort them out if that's a concern. And another plus is how long the brake pads last, I probably get 3 times the life out of disc pads Vs rimvpads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭emeraldmtb

Just from personal experience, the difference between mechanical and hydraulic discs is huge. I've found mechanical discs only marginally better than v-brakes. But hydraulic discs do everything Alanstrainor said above. Just something to bear in mind when you're considering a bike with discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

They are hydraulic, I will be commuting all winter via bike.

I already have a 6,000 lumens cree front light and a knog for the rear so I'm not worried about keeping money for extras!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

If you are commuting in a city environment you'll be braking a lot. You'll wear your rims pretty fast, and especially if you have full mudguards(which you should have) with rim brakes.

For that reason alone I'd get discs.

Better modulation/more power are not major factors for a lad on a hybrid getting to work.

6000 lumens!! Around you sure you hav enough power there...

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Hydraulic discs - yes, there's a definite improvement over v-brakes, and the fact that they auto-adjust as pads wear is nice. Downside is hydraulics are more difficult to service if something goes wrong, but in general it won't. Just keep an eye on the pad wear as the lever won't feel any different as the pads wear.

If it was mechanical discs I wouldn't bother - v-brakes are lighter and easier to adjust, and braking performance is fine relative to mechanical discs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Brake choice depends on weight IMO. Disc brakes have utility with extra weight.

I don't carry much on my commute and bodyweight is between 74 + 80 kilos. I commute on a fixed gear in the city centre, in all weathers, with a single front calliper and have only modest rim wear. Wouldn't brake a lot either, unless some smartphone-tard steps out in front of me.:pac:

I would choose v-brake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Disc brakes give more power and better modulation of that power, and are less affected by wet weather.

Rim brakes are generally lighter and are more than adequate in almost all scenarios.

Having recently moved from cable rim brakes to hydraulic discs on a road bike, I'd say discs are better if you carry lots of cargo (on yourself or the bike ;)), or if you have steep descents/higher speeds on your route.

If the above factors don't apply to you, then well-adjusted V-brakes are perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Discs are great in the winter. Def get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

if you are on a budget i'd put the money into the best quality tyres you can get and see whats left over. you can get bikes costing near a grand and they only have average tyres. if you are commuting and you have no big downhlls then i wouldnt see disc breaks as being essential

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Currently have a kona Jake with cable disk and don't find them any better or worse.

Not even remotely comparable with hydraulic disc brakes.

OP go with the disc brakes.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Not even remotely comparable with hydraulic disc brakes.

OP go with the disc brakes.

Yes it's looking more likely, I've checked the difference in weight between both versions, theres 0.7 kg difference and the disc is only available in 20 inch, the v brake in 19 inch which is my size. 1 inch difference is hardly going to be very noticeable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

italodisco wrote: »
    Yes it's looking more likely, I've checked the difference in weight between both versions, theres 0.7 kg difference and the disc is only available in 20 inch, the v brake in 19 inch which is my size. 1 inch difference is hardly going to be very noticeable

It’s the difference between a 54cm and 56cm bike so yes there can be quite a difference especially if a 54cm bike is on the upper side of your sizing range.

It’s the difference between a 54cm and 56cm bike so yes there can be quite a difference especially if a 54cm bike is on the upper side of your sizing range.

Oh no... Sticking with V brake so.

I've a separated ac joint in shoulder, this particular bike was the only one in the last few years that's geometry worked for me. Otherwise I end up with neck and shoulder pain and a bad ring in my ear with it.

I sold my other trek to buy a new one of the same model so I'll stay with what works,

Cheers

Advertisement