Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are motorbikes permitted to use the Bus lane during peak hours?

• 21-08-2018 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭

While cycling over Annesley Bridge toward Fairview, it was typically packed full of cyclists commuting home, so as I was faster than most I was positioned just right of the center.

Had a motorcyclist blast me with his horn several times and narrowly pass me via the Bus lane shaking his head as if I was completely in the wrong taking up all the space and not giving him enough room to undertake vehicle traffic via the Bus lane.

I was planning on informing him at the next set of lights the irony that he was in fact in the wrong by using the Bus lane, but unfortunately they turned green just as I was a metre away and he sped off.

It had me wondering though, are motorbikes allowed to use the Bus lane as Bikes/Buses/Taxis are?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No, they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭GBX

No - Not permitted to use them at all. But the Garda turn a blind eye most of the time as long as your not acting the dick speeding etc. I use them within occasionally but make sure I dont block buses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭positron

Motorcyclists are cyclists too. Just let them go! 

PS: I do both cycling and motorcycling and have seen it from both sides. As mentioned above, bus lanes are safer areas for motorcyclists, and as long as they are being considerate and decent, Guards don't mind them there. It's safer than lane splitting as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

When I was taking motorcycle lessons, my instructor said I would be expected to use cycle lanes if vacant. I never felt comfortable doing so and thankfully the situation didn't arise during the test.

(That was about 20 years ago - might have changed since then).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

positron wrote: »
    Motorcyclists are cyclists too. Just let them go! 

PS: I do both cycling and motorcycling.

Agreed, apart from the beeping and allegedly aggressive behavior towards people legally entitled to be where they are.

For the RoSPA you are strictly *not* allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

... expected to use cycle lanes....That was about 20 years ago .....

Amazed such things existed back then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

positron wrote: »
    Motorcyclists are cyclists too..

Only thing motorcyclists and cyclists on this forum have in common are the number of wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Not officially permitted in the buslane but it's not really enforced. If you're out in the middle of the bus lane because you're overtaking slower cyclists then you just met a wanker of a biker.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

(That was about 20 years ago - might have changed since then).

I believe you to be correct. Motor bikes definitely used to be allowed to use bus lanes. I actually thought that they still could but have no reason to doubt other posters saying that you can no longer use the bus lane

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭positron

Tenzor07 wrote:
    Only thing motorcyclists and cyclists on this forum have in common are the number of wheels.

That's on the outside. Really when you get into it, both groups have many things in common - danger from larger vehicles on the road, SMIDSY is a serious problem for motorcyclists too. Oil spills, poor road surface and manure or other dirt pulled in by farm machinery could all be lethal to motorcyclists too. And not to mention the danger from jay walkers wearing headphones and walking into you. You can come off motorbike for most of the reasons as you would off your bike, and usually it's a lot more serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Harassing bicyclists from a 200kg motor vehicle is dickish.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Motorbikes and cyclists are not in any way the same - the clue is in the name motor.

They may suffer similar issues from other motorists, but as modes of transport they're very different. I've been repeatedly close passed by motorbikes, buzzed etc for being where I should be on the road.
    That said the majority I encounter are totally fine.
    They have absolutely no business in the cycle lane. I've been stuck behind them in cycle lanes before, particularly the canal, and it's a pain in the hole being stuck behind big slow lumbering things where they legally shouldn't be...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

There are buslanes where it's legal for motorcycles to use them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they're next on the spectrum from pedestrians to cyclists (to motorcyclists) to motorists, etc., and that proximity does include some shared experience. mainly in the 'exposure to risk' or 'lesser user of the road than a motorist' way, i guess.

that said, the road user who most recently explictly - and quite deliberately - endangered my life was a showboating motorcyclist.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

lennymc wrote: »

When are they allowed in the bus lanes? (apart from outside hours obvs)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

When I was taking motorcycle lessons, my instructor said I would be expected to use cycle lanes if vacant.

If that was the case then the biker in the original post would just have gone straight through fairview park.

nee wrote:
    Motorbikes and cyclists are not in any way the same - the clue is in the name motor.

Don't some bikes have motors now?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Don't some bikes have motors now?

Very weak ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I vaguely remember that motorcyclists are a disproportionate cause of serious injuries to pedestrians, but I can't remember the source. Does anybody know whether that's true?

(Not trying to be moralistic; it just might influence decisions about where they're allowed to go)

ED E wrote:
    Very weak ones.

I don't know. I only heard about them. Not a cyclist myself & I don't think I've seen any bikes with motors. I suppose if they weren't weak then tax & insurance would be required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Pedelecs (motor cuts out at 25km/h) are treated as bicycles. More powerful or faster than that, they're treated as motorbikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Effects wrote: »
    If that was the case then the biker in the original post would just have gone straight through fairview park.
    Any motorcyclists I see using cycle tracks do so to filter through slow or stationary vehicles. I've never seen a motorcyclist using a segregated cycle track so I don't understand your logic.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I vaguely remember that motorcyclists are a disproportionate cause of serious injuries to pedestrians, but I can't remember the source. Does anybody know whether that's true?

(Not trying to be moralistic; it just might influence decisions about where they're allowed to go)

Caveat: US stats
    https://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/11/4/232

"Compared with cars, the RR of killing a pedestrian per vehicle mile was 7.97 (95% CI 6.33 to 10.04) for buses; 1.93 (95% CI 1.30 to 2.86) for motorcycles; 1.45 (95% CI 1.37 to 1.55) for light trucks, and 0.96 (95% CI 0.79 to 1.18) for heavy trucks. Compared with cars, buses were 11.85 times (95% CI 6.07 to 23.12) and motorcycles were 3.77 times (95% CI 1.40 to 10.20) more likely per mile to kill children 0–14 years old. Buses were 16.70 times (95% CI 7.30 to 38.19) more likely to kill adults age 85 or older than were cars."

While motorcycles are a bit worse than cars, buses are FAR worse.

So as a ped crossing a bus lane your main worry should be....buses.

Lumen wrote: »
    So as a ped crossing a bus lane your main worry should be....buses.
    Actually that would be really stupid advice. We mostly accident into things smaller than the things we're looking out for.

Also, I reckon wiping out peds crossing between parked or slow moving cars is the single biggest accident risk for a filtering motorcyclist, whichever lane they're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

vandriver wrote: »
    Where?

Bottom of Georges street where they can turn right onto Dame street is one example that springs to mind. There are probably a few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,851 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lumen wrote: »

Also, I reckon wiping out peds crossing between parked or slow moving cars is the single biggest accident risk for a filtering motorcyclist, whichever lane they're in.

Same risk for bicyclists as a motorcyclist hitting a ped when filtering, if either party isn't paying enough attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They're few and far between. It's almost exclusively situations where cars aren't allowed take a turn, but busses, motorbikes and bikes are. Technically it means bikes can use the bus lane, but it's really incidental and second-fiddle to the fact that they're allowed make the turn.

Bottom of George's St onto Dame St as said above, also used to be the case at the bottom of Dawson St before everything was changed.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Same risk for bicyclists as a motorcyclist hitting a ped when filtering, if either party isn't paying enough attention.
    Motorbike is considerably faster and heavier though, with more restricted visibility. I'd say not only are they more likely to hit a ped, they're definitely more likely to result in greater injury to the ped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Del2005 wrote: »

I had the misfortune of being in hospital when I was younger and the lad beside me had been hit by a motorbike that mounted the path. He was in a bad bad way, two broken legs, a broken arm and shoulder , along with snapped ribs.

I was in for a broken leg after coming off my own motorbike. His mum asked me not to tell him how I got my injury.

Peds dont realize that motorbikes dont have a crash zone like cars. Serious injury is nearly a given if you get hit by one.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Motorbike is considerably faster and heavier though, with more restricted visibility.
    The forward facing visibility is fine. It's the far peripheral vision you don't have with a full face helmet on. Better brakes too.

Still, if I had to pick what I'd be hit by, it wouldn't be a motorbike.

Advertisement