Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-05-2019, 14:55   #1
Fincchheeyyyy

Solo holiday in the sun

Hey Guys.. this has probably been done before but I'm looking for travel recommendations for a female in her early 30's who just wants to chill out in the sun without getting hassle!
All my friends are either married, have kids or can't afford to go away and I really don't want that to stop me from having a holiday. I love my own company and would be more than happy to chill by a pool in the sun with a good book and a long island iced tea.
Trouble is, I went away last summer to a resort in Spain and was hassled at the bar every evening and had lads staring over making me uncomfortable during the day.
I'd love somewhere with great weather, that's fairly cheap, that has things to do other than just a pool/beach but ultimatley is just a few days of doing nothing in the sun and being tipsy to drunk while doing it
Anybody (particularly females) gone to a resort bythemselves?
Any recommendations welcome
Advertisement
01-05-2019, 15:06   #2
skinny90

I went to Tavira in Portugal 2 years ago.

Tho you will need to get a bus/taxi to the beach I would strongly recommend it.

Everything is very reasonable,flights, apartments, transport, food and drink

We flew to Faro and flights from knock,shannon and dublin were all very cheap

Weather is fantastic and the vibe there is very relaxed and much of the town is restored unlike alot of destinations.

Tho I cannot guarantee you wont be bother I did find most people were relaxed, chilled and just happy to be there
(3) thanks from:
01-05-2019, 15:09   #3
freshpopcorn

Buy some drink at Tesco and a bright bulb and lock yourself in the hot press!
01-05-2019, 15:12   #4
Deebles McBeebles

Is this a common thing for women? Getting harassed on holidays I mean. Its something I would never have thought of.

#maleprivilege
01-05-2019, 15:17   #5
silverharp

there is a place in Sweden now where there are no mens allowed.
Advertisement
01-05-2019, 15:22   #6
Fincchheeyyyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebles McBeebles View Post
Is this a common thing for women? Getting harassed on holidays I mean. Its something I would never have thought of.

#maleprivilege
It's only ever happened to me once and that was last year in Spain but to be fair, I was lying by a pool drinking beers so the lads probably thought game ball!

I'd like somewhere where I can chat to people in the evening etc. but where I will also be left alone to do my own thing during the day. Maybe somewhere like Barcelona where there's a city and a beach. Maybe a resort is not the way to go. I just wish I had a travel buddy
Buutt there are upsides to going solo too!! You can stick to your own agenda and do whatever the hell ya like!
01-05-2019, 15:24   #7
Lollipops23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincchheeyyyy View Post
Buutt there are upsides to going solo too!! You can stick to your own agenda and do whatever the hell ya like!
Having traveled alone I 100% agree. Nothing like having nobody to answer to!
01-05-2019, 15:31   #8
Fincchheeyyyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipops23 View Post
Having traveled alone I 100% agree. Nothing like having nobody to answer to!
or differing agendas or ideas of a good time! I have a friend who takes about 2 hours to get ready. We'd be heading to the beach and she'd still insist on putting on her make up even though she's about to jump in the sea! She also put on fake tan every night and we got in trouble in the hotel cos she ruined the sheets. Very annoying to travel with! I reckon it can ruin relationships much like moving in with someone - if you want to really know me, come travelling with me in intense heat after getting ripped off by locals and stung by a poisonous jellyfish!
(3) thanks from:
01-05-2019, 15:43   #9
Spanish Eyes

I have done the solo thing many times, but never to a resort. Just my preference, as I am not one for sitting by a pool all day!

A great time to go solo is early September, just when schools go back, otherwise you will be surrounded by happy families and kids screaming, that's what July and August are for!

A great trip I did a couple of years ago was to Padua (Padova), flew into Treviso and caught a bus to Padova. Great town/city lots of younger people around because of the University, lovely outdoor bars and restaurants, great markets, and if you are inclined plenty of culture especially the Scrovegni frescoes.

The train in Padova takes you to Venice in about 25 minutes and pulls in where the water taxis all take off from. Brilliant.

Then I took a train to Bologna, about an hour I think. Fab place for the day, great food, amazing. It was easy on my own.

But we are all different. It depends on your preferences.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-05-2019, 15:44   #10
mad muffin

Back in my day they used to call it club med…
01-05-2019, 15:56   #11
Danger781

My ultimate lazy sun holiday is Lanzarote. We stay in Puerto del Carmen and always stay in the same basic cheap apartment complex. My girlfriends parents have been going there almost every year for the last 10 years.

Nice pool to relax next to with a tiny bar for some ice cold beer. It's a lovely residential-ish area we stay so it's safe and quiet, but still only a 5 walk to the main strip and less than 10 minutes to beach. Spotless clean apartments with a balcony. Basic but has everything you need, and for a price you can't argue with.

Huge number of restaurants to eat in the whole way down the strip. A nice, small local bar run by a British couple around the corner from the apartment for a night cap in the evening (Where a chat is definitely is possible if you want). A small supermarket right next door for all the essentials.

Happy to pass on the apartment name if you're interested. Shoot me a PM and I'll answer any questions you have.

--

We've also been on holidays in Albufeira Portugal but you are pretty much guaranteed to get harassed there. Tenerife was ok but we're not planning on going back again as the first time didn't appeal to us.

Barcelona is very expensive.
01-05-2019, 16:01   #12
Grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincchheeyyyy View Post
It's only ever happened to me once and that was last year in Spain but to be fair, I was lying by a pool drinking beers so the lads probably thought game ball!

I'd like somewhere where I can chat to people in the evening etc. but where I will also be left alone to do my own thing during the day. Maybe somewhere like Barcelona where there's a city and a beach. Maybe a resort is not the way to go. I just wish I had a travel buddy
I'm heading to Tuscany in two weeks. I'd recommend somewhere like there or as you said barcelona. If you go to a big city then there's always group activities like pub crawls that you can sign up for.
01-05-2019, 16:01   #13
0lddog

Something like https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2057970564 ?

Edit : Heres one I made earlier : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...hp?p=108691545

Last edited by 0lddog; 01-05-2019 at 16:08.
01-05-2019, 16:03   #14
Grayson

As a random suggestion, Cadiz in spain. It's one of the oldest cities in the world. It's all winding streets and plazas with live music and restaurants. Only problem is there's no direct flights. You'd have to get to Seville and grab a bus for an hour to get there.
(2) thanks from:
01-05-2019, 16:20   #15
laoisgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger781 View Post
My ultimate lazy sun holiday is Lanzarote. We stay in Puerto del Carmen and always stay in the same basic cheap apartment complex. My girlfriends parents have been going there almost every year for the last 10 years.

Nice pool to relax next to with a tiny bar for some ice cold beer. It's a lovely residential-ish area we stay so it's safe and quiet, but still only a 5 walk to the main strip and less than 10 minutes to beach. Spotless clean apartments with a balcony. Basic but has everything you need, and for a price you can't argue with.

Huge number of restaurants to eat in the whole way down the strip. A nice, small local bar run by a British couple around the corner from the apartment for a night cap in the evening (Where a chat is definitely is possible if you want). A small supermarket right next door for all the essentials.

Happy to pass on the apartment name if you're interested. Shoot me a PM and I'll answer any questions you have.

--

We've also been on holidays in Albufeira Portugal but you are pretty much guaranteed to get harassed there. Tenerife was ok but we're not planning on going back again as the first time didn't appeal to us.

Barcelona is very expensive.
Sorry now for butting in here but are you a single woman? As when I went to lanzarote on my own I was followed back to my apartment by a man and had to get a guy that I knew there to deal with him. Absolutely terrifying experience.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion