Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-11-2018, 19:32   #556
Tombom1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipso View Post
I don’t think there’s anybadvantage to get his sister tested. Maybe getting another relative from the other side of the family, that way you may be able to identify what side of your family matches are based upon which relative they match.
So you mean test one of his first cousins from his mother's side of the family or first cousin once removed if possible?

Good idea ,but I don't know how I would approach them about doing a DNA test,as I don't really know them.
Have you gone about this before ? How did you do it?

Edit: from researching about DNA testing, I was told it was best to get more than one person to get a autDna test as the further back you go the less likely they carry DNA that relates them to a distant relative, but your chances increase as both their inherited DNA is different and likely one of them has still DNA that can match them to a distant relative.
For example a 4-5 time great grandfather being the last shared relative.
Am I right or is it worth the money for the small difference?

Also time isn't really on my side as my grandaunt
Isn't the healthiest right now.

Last edited by Tombom1; 22-11-2018 at 19:40.
Advertisement
22-11-2018, 22:25   #557
pinkypinky

At that age, I would consider getting both siblings tested for autosomal and then approach the more distant ones later. Each one will have a different 50% DNA from each parents so their matches won't be the same at the more distant levels.
24-11-2018, 23:25   #558
Tombom1

I am going to buy two DNA kits on ancestry ,if I buy another one on Ftdna would it be any good in going further back when comparing the two brother and sister for cM against a say distant relative?
I heard ancestry do 700,000 markers how many do Ftdna ?

It would save me 20 euro haha

Also I would have access to Ftdna without transfer fees and would get their tools ,but my main concern is going the furthest back.

Last edited by Tombom1; 24-11-2018 at 23:29.
25-11-2018, 10:49   #559
pinkypinky

I don't really understand what you mean.

Ancestry has the biggest database but I'm not aware of their test being better than FTDNA's. Indeed, the lack of a chromosome browser is a serious downside for Ancestry.
25-11-2018, 13:24   #560
dubhthach

You can always transfer results from AncestryDNA to FTDNA.

see: https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...nsfer-program/

The advantage of this is that you can test in say 23andme or Ancestry (Ancestry would have bigger database) and then transfer results to FTDNA. The cost is less then sending a second sample to FTDNA. In which case you end up in two seperate databases.

Of course if you want to then add additional tests in FTDNA (say Y-DNA testing in event sample is male) they will have to send out new sample tubes to collect a DNA sample to run tests on.

Generally both Ancestry and FTDNA's autosomal test products are fairly comparable when it comes to the SNP's the cover on the autosomal part of your genome (the 44 recombing chromosomes which aren't sex-linked)
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-11-2018, 14:46   #561
spurious
Category Moderator

I thought one of FTDNA's many plusses was that you didn't need to send another sample to get an additional test on an already tested person?
25-11-2018, 14:50   #562
srmf5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurious View Post
I thought one of FTDNA's many plusses was that you didn't need to send another sample to get an additional test on an already tested person?
That's the case if they already have your sample at FTDNA. However, if it's an autosomal transfer from another company, they won't have your sample to do further tests on. A sample needs to be submitted for further testing if they don't already have your sample.
Thanks from:
26-11-2018, 01:19   #563
cat_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombom1 View Post
but my main concern is going the furthest back.
Since that is your goal, getting tested by FTDNA should be considered. Since summer 2016 the kits the two companies use have not been the same. This means that if you upload your Ancestry results to FTDNA, you'll only see about 20% of the matches compared with people who have tested directly with FTDNA. Along with the availability of a chromosome browser and other tools, these extra matches could hold the key to solving mysteries. This link explains it better than I can: https://dna-explained.com/2017/12/04...mily-tree-dna/
Thanks from:
26-11-2018, 09:28   #564
pinkypinky

You can pay to unlock the full list of matches. FWIW, I transferred someone there and he still has a couple of thousand matches without paying to unlock.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-11-2018, 17:06   #565
cat_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
You can pay to unlock the full list of matches. FWIW, I transferred someone there and he still has a couple of thousand matches without paying to unlock.
That used to be their business model but they changed it. Now everyone gets a full list of matches but needs to pay to use the tools.

My family tested with Ancestry after their kits changed in 2016. They also tested with FamilyTreeDNA. With their FTDNA tests they've got about 3000 matches. When I transfered in their Ancestry results to FTDNA as an experiment, they only got about 300-500 matches.
Thanks from:
30-11-2018, 17:06   #566
vektarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubhthach View Post
You can always transfer results from AncestryDNA to FTDNA.

see: https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/...nsfer-program/
I'd like to share my success story about this. I had been searching records on and off for a couple of years trying to discover my Great-Grandfather's Swedish roots, he was a sailor who arrived in Dublin in the 1870's and stayed and married my Great-Grandmother who was from the docks area of Dublin.
I hit a wall regarding written records about him and decided to do an AncestryDNA test, I then transferred the results to FTDNA and within a day I was in touch with distant cousins from Sweden through the FTDNA site. Not only was I able to find details of my Swedish Great-Grandfather, including birth date, birth place etc. but also details of his (and my) family going back to the 1600's thanks to my cousins detailed family trees on FTDNA.
I was overwhelmed to discover this information and I'm now planning to visit his birthplace soon and perhaps meet up with my Swedish cousins. A big thumbs up for DNA testing and results.
30-11-2018, 17:19   #567
Ipso

I have a good few distant relatives at FTDNA from Sweden, there’s no known history in my background. They all have trees going way back with no other ancestry and i contacted a couple of them and they don’t know of any Irish ancestry or ancestry outside of Sweden.
30-11-2018, 20:45   #568
DamoRed

Delighted to read that success story, Vektarman. For it to yield results so quick is really wonderful.

May I ask, was there more than one match from Sweden, and what range of cM was there? 3rd-5th cousins or 5th to remote?
30-11-2018, 21:38   #569
vektarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoRed View Post
Delighted to read that success story, Vektarman. For it to yield results so quick is really wonderful.

May I ask, was there more than one match from Sweden, and what range of cM was there? 3rd-5th cousins or 5th to remote?
I found two Swedish matches in the first four overall matches, the first one was a 2nd to 4th cousin with 89 cMs and the other was a 3rd to 5th cousin with 66 cMs, they both had their own separate but linked family trees, the common link between the three of us went back five generations ago, to a small townland where our ancestors were from, a place called Misterhult in Småland.

Last edited by vektarman; 30-11-2018 at 21:53. Reason: Added info.
(3) thanks from:
30-11-2018, 22:04   #570
pinkypinky

Fantastic success - and very satisfying.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion