Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
07-10-2018, 18:34   #541
montgo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 525
Hi,
I match with a lady from with nearly 100cMs and we have yet to figure out how we connect. I have a 48cMs segment match with her on Ch2. I have lots of shared matches with her on Gedmatch and MyHeritage. Most of the shared matches triangulate on Ch2. I have contacted some of them but most have no known Irish ancestors. According to my 100cMs match, her only Irish ancestor was already in the US by late 1700s. The strong match would appear to rule out a match with an ancestor of over 250 yrs ago but maybe not? Or could she have another Irish ancestor that she doesn't know about, NPE or could it be a false match? Any ideas?
montgo is offline  
Advertisement
07-10-2018, 21:46   #542
pinkypinky
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,697
Matched on more than one ancestral couple? I.E. the 100Cm is combined from 2 sources.
pinkypinky is offline  
Thanks from:
09-10-2018, 15:32   #543
Mez1982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by montgo View Post
Hi,
I match with a lady from with nearly 100cMs and we have yet to figure out how we connect. I have a 48cMs segment match with her on Ch2. I have lots of shared matches with her on Gedmatch and MyHeritage. Most of the shared matches triangulate on Ch2. I have contacted some of them but most have no known Irish ancestors. According to my 100cMs match, her only Irish ancestor was already in the US by late 1700s. The strong match would appear to rule out a match with an ancestor of over 250 yrs ago but maybe not? Or could she have another Irish ancestor that she doesn't know about, NPE or could it be a false match? Any ideas?
Is that a total cm shared of is it the longest cms?
I would really doubt at that high of cms that it would be a false match. I share a total of 75 cms with a woman on FTDNA and the link is her 2x G,Grandad was my 2x G,Grandads brother. I also share 135cms with a guy on Ancestry and the link is his G,Grandad was my Grannys brother. So all in all with your total cms being so high the connection IMO should be fairly easy to establish If all ancestors are known.
Here is a guide that I regularly go to to get a rough estimate of where DNA matches and myself could be connected.
Attached Images
File Type: png Relationship estimater.png (159.3 KB, 62 views)
Mez1982 is offline  
Thanks from:
09-10-2018, 20:33   #544
montgo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 525
Thanks Mez,

Yes. total is 98cMs on both MyHeritage & Gedmatch with longest segment of 48cMs. I have referred to that chart before so should be between 3rd & 4th cousin. As Pinky suggests, the match could be from more than one family line.
montgo is offline  
Thanks from:
09-10-2018, 20:48   #545
A New earth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by montgo View Post
Thanks Mez,

Yes. total is 98cMs on both MyHeritage & Gedmatch with longest segment of 48cMs. I have referred to that chart before so should be between 3rd & 4th cousin. As Pinky suggests, the match could be from more than one family line.
I have a match with a total of 131cms on 7 segments with largest being 32cms, we can't trace the ancestor but his 2nd great grandmother born c. 1800 has the same surname as my 2nd great grandfather and is from the same county. She could be his sister I suppose but it is still a large CM sharing so maybe yours does stretch back to late 1700s
A New earth is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-11-2018, 20:06   #546
DamoRed
Registered User
 
DamoRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubhthach View Post
Indeed, back when this DNA marlarky started in early 2000 the Orkney Islands were a favoured location for population sampling. This was based on idea of:
  • Small island group, history of minimum population input (lets not mention Scapa Flow, or Oil!)
  • As islands off Britain, they were thought to be good approx for a 'indigenous british' sample

the problem with last idea of course is it completely ignores the history of Orkney eg. that it was part of Kingdom of Norway until the 15th century and that a Old-Norse derived language (Norn) was spoken there as late as the 18th century.
Do you reckon that breeding between them and Ulster-Scots may have brought about the origin of the term Norn-Iron?



I'll get me coat...
DamoRed is offline  
Thanks from:
19-11-2018, 23:51   #547
Ipso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,273
You’re really testing our mettle!
Ipso is online now  
22-11-2018, 13:12   #548
Tombom1
Registered User
 
Tombom1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 44
Say if I were to get Ftdnas Y dna y-111 test is there much difference in me taking the test compared to my grandfather in his 90s?

Also it's 219 $ right now,it was 219 aswell last year for Thanksgiving,but would I have to wait another year to get this offer or has the price dropped down to this before during the year?
Today is the last day for the offer but it's a fair bit of money to me,so I'm just wondering.
Also does anyone have any idea how much shipping costs aswell?
Tombom1 is offline  
22-11-2018, 13:20   #549
OU812
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombom1 View Post
Say if I were to get Ftdnas Y dna y-111 test is there much difference in me taking the test compared to my grandfather in his 90s?

Also it's 219 $ right now,it was 219 aswell last year for Thanksgiving,but would I have to wait another year to get this offer or has the price dropped down to this before during the year?
Today is the last day for the offer but it's a fair bit of money to me,so I'm just wondering.
Also does anyone have any idea how much shipping costs aswell?
Considering your grandfather is 90, I’d be getting it now
OU812 is offline  
Advertisement
22-11-2018, 13:42   #550
Tombom1
Registered User
 
Tombom1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Considering your grandfather is 90, I’d be getting it now
Well he's 92 but even his grandfather who lived through the famine lived to his 90s and his father to 97.I plan on getting him a autosomal DNA test and his older sister (95),but I don't want to scare him ,getting him all these tests!

The question I'm asking is,is it really necessary for him to do a ydna compared to me as the y chromosome doesn't really change ?would I be able to go further back?how far exactly I'm new to DNA tests.
Tombom1 is offline  
22-11-2018, 13:56   #551
DamoRed
Registered User
 
DamoRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 382
If he's willing to take it, you should take that opportunity. It's always best to test the oldest person or generation possible. You'd be kicking yourself in a couple of years if you didn't test him and then he dies. Get him tested and then you can test yourself at a later date, as they regularly have special offers for holidays.

There's nothing to be scared of, really. The test is merely a stick like a cotton bud with a polyester type surface and that's rubbed around the inside of the mouth for a minute to hold as much saliva/DNA as possible. It's not threatening or invasive in any way.
DamoRed is offline  
22-11-2018, 14:29   #552
pinkypinky
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,697
Y DNA won't change that much.

I think it'd be more valuable to get your grandfather's autosomal DNA as he will have matches further back than you. With FTDNA, they keep the sample, so you can always add the Y later.
pinkypinky is offline  
Thanks from:
22-11-2018, 15:12   #553
Hermy
Registered User
 
Hermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
With FTDNA, they keep the sample, so you can always add the Y later.
That's a good thing to know.
Hermy is offline  
22-11-2018, 15:55   #554
DamoRed
Registered User
 
DamoRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 382
If you wish to add further tests to your FTDNA profile, you can take advantage of the offer prices without having to pay added postage costs.
DamoRed is offline  
22-11-2018, 16:58   #555
Ipso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombom1 View Post
Well he's 92 but even his grandfather who lived through the famine lived to his 90s and his father to 97.I plan on getting him a autosomal DNA test and his older sister (95),but I don't want to scare him ,getting him all these tests!

The question I'm asking is,is it really necessary for him to do a ydna compared to me as the y chromosome doesn't really change ?would I be able to go further back?how far exactly I'm new to DNA tests.
I don’t think there’s anybadvantage to get his sister tested. Maybe getting another relative from the other side of the family, that way you may be able to identify what side of your family matches are based upon which relative they match.
Ipso is online now  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet