Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-10-2017, 17:23   #421
BowWow

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaB View Post
I think I may take FTDNA's test just to compare results with the Ancestry results
I was able to upload my Ancestry DNA results to FTDNA for free, and then look up my matches on their(FTDNA) site.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-10-2017, 17:35   #422
VirginiaB

Good to know. But first I want to see independently what ethnicity results they come up with as that is the least reliable part of DNA.
09-10-2017, 18:07   #423
dubhthach

What breakdown did Ancestry give you on ethnicity and did the genetic communities make sense given your known ancestry?

On a relatively small dataset but spreadsheet here has 29 Irish public samples

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1203387096
Thanks from:
09-10-2017, 18:09   #424
pinkypinky

Please keep all these comments in the DNA thread. Threads merged. Also, to point out ONCE again, there's a lot of repetition in this thread and you can all use the search function. And refer to the DNA sticky.
09-10-2017, 22:56   #425
VirginiaB

Ancestry gave me just two genetic communities and they are very general, the circles covering most of the island except the west. 'Munster' and 'Irish in the North Midlands' are my genetic communities, they say. This covers most of what I have found thru the paper trail. It does not cover my great-great grandfather from Ballintoy, Co Antrim. Too bad as I have grown very attached to him--even visited last year--tea with cousins at the old farm--unforgettable.

Via the arduous paper trail, I have gotten to townland and/or parish for 9 of my 16 great-great grandparents. I have gotten to the county for 1 more. 4 more were from Ireland, place of origin still unknown. 2 were from Spain and indeed the DNA results showed me as 13% Iberian Peninsula, almost exactly the 12.5% that 1 great-great grandparent represents.

On Ancestry DNA, I can't seem to find the smaller genetic communities that make up the larger regions mentioned above. Anyone know?
Advertisement
09-10-2017, 23:06   #426
pinkypinky

I haven't found the genetic communities to be of any use yet. I think they must need a certain number of people to be worthwhile. I have just one: Munster Irish, which appears to cover the entire lower half of the country. I'm only aware of definite ancestors from Limerick on one grandparent's line, and she also has Welsh ancestry. Everyone else is from Dublin for the last 5 generations...
Thanks from:
09-10-2017, 23:11   #427
srmf5

Quote:
Ancestry gave me just two genetic communities and they are very general, the circles covering most of the island except the west. 'Munster' and 'Irish in the North Midlands' are my genetic communities, they say. This covers most of what I have found thru the paper trail. It does not cover my great-great grandfather from Ballintoy, Co Antrim. Too bad as I have grown very attached to him--even visited last year--tea with cousins at the old farm--unforgettable.

Via the arduous paper trail, I have gotten to townland and/or parish for 9 of my 16 great-great grandparents. I have gotten to the county for 1 more. 4 more were from Ireland, place of origin still unknown. 2 were from Spain and indeed the DNA results showed me as 13% Iberian Peninsula, almost exactly the 12.5% that 1 great-great grandparent represents.

On Ancestry DNA, I can't seem to find the smaller genetic communities that make up the larger regions mentioned above. Anyone know?
To see the smaller genetic communities, click to View Your Genetic Ancestry, click on the genetic communities part, then click View All for the Genetic Communities, click into Europe, Ireland and then the genetic community you've been given. Only the genetic communities that you're part of will appear. For me when I click into Connacht, only Galway and North Connacht appear. Hope this helps.
(2) thanks from:
09-10-2017, 23:12   #428
srmf5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
I haven't found the genetic communities to be of any use yet. I think they must need a certain number of people to be worthwhile. I have just one: Munster Irish, which appears to cover the entire lower half of the country. I'm only aware of definite ancestors from Limerick on one grandparent's line, and she also has Welsh ancestry. Everyone else is from Dublin for the last 5 generations...
I find the genetic communities more interesting than useful. I'd say that they'd be useful for someone, for example that doesn't know where in Ireland their ancestors came from.
(2) thanks from:
09-10-2017, 23:38   #429
VirginiaB

I have done that repeatedly and just tried again. All I get are 3 choices--Ulster Irish-5 genetic communities, Connacht Irish-5 genetic communities, Munster Irish-6 communities. There is no way to click into the names of those genetic communities, tho one of mine appears to be 'Irish in the North Midlands'.

Thanks for the suggestion tho.
Advertisement
09-10-2017, 23:49   #430
srmf5

Quote:
I have done that repeatedly and just tried again. All I get are 3 choices--Ulster Irish-5 genetic communities, Connacht Irish-5 genetic communities, Munster Irish-6 communities. There is no way to click into the names of those genetic communities, tho one of mine appears to be 'Irish in the North Midlands'.

Thanks for the suggestion tho.
That's strange. You should be able to click into them to see the sub-regions anyway. When I click into Connacht saying 5 genetic communities, on the map on the right only two genetic communities appear. People seem to be getting different features oddly enough. Online I've seen an eye colour for genetic communities but that never comes up for me.

I'm just attaching the image that I see for my results on the left. There's another kit that I manage that has no Connacht genetic communities and this is what they see in comparison on the right.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2 genetic communities in Connacht.png (163.9 KB, 28 views)
Thanks from:
10-10-2017, 00:18   #431
VirginiaB

I tried going in thru Ancestry.ie and Ancestry.co.uk but same results. Thanks for all the suggestions.
10-10-2017, 09:34   #432
pinkypinky

When I look at the Munster Irish, I see 6 sub communities but the 6 are just paragraphs of info about different periods of migration.
10-10-2017, 13:49   #433
KildareFan

My brother and I have both done the Ancestry DNA test - some small but interesting differences. I'm 78% Irish, he's 73%; I've 1% Caucasus, he has 3%....

Some of my known relatives with whom I had no DNA matches are matched to him which was a relief.
10-10-2017, 13:53   #434
VirginiaB

That's what I see, Pinkypinky. And KildareFan, those percentages are well within the normal margin of error. This is definitely not an exact science.
10-10-2017, 15:22   #435
pedroeibar1

Quote:
That's what I see, Pinkypinky. And KildareFan, those percentages are well within the normal margin of error. This is definitely not an exact science.
I believe that it is an exact science, but one has to spend a considerable amount of cash to get the ‘right’ answer. I think that too many people put too much faith (hope?) in what DNA will do for their genealogy and ‘walk’ into DNA without fully understanding the implications. When I took the FTDNA 37marker Y-DNA test I thought I would discover something new. No such luck, Each of the 17 ‘close’ matches has a different surname, none is mine. I’m the only one in the entire database with that surname thus the result is inconclusive. Now the suggestion is that I upgrade to a more sophisticated (& much more expensive) test.

Ancestry’s autosomal test shows me to be Munster Irish. No big surprise , when twelve of my 16 gggrandparents are from there with typical / common Munster names. I got just one close match, we know each other/meet periodically so that gave me nothing. I’ve two third cousins listed – their names are unknown in my quite comprehensive tree, neither has been online since March & April of this year.

People also underestimate the amount of time required to learn the science of the results. The advertising by DNA companies creates a very high expectation, but in reality a successful outcome requires a good understanding of DNA and frequently depends on others who have tested, have done some geno research and most importantly who bother to respond to emails! Hopefully the BTOP lectures (See ‘Events’ thread) will shed some additional light.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion