Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Could well be it alright, though your Irish syntax needs a bit of work I think. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

People from Denmark would be utterly hopeless at maths in that case.

I only know 1 Dane, and he's no Rachel Riley (unfortunately):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Are you talking about "people per square km" when you say most densely populated?
    Its 4th overall otherwise.

You are going by municipal areas, counting Finglas and South Dublin as counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

You are going by municipal areas, counting Finglas and South Dublin as counties.
    No I'm not
    Co. Down is the 2nd most densely populated person/km2 county like thee glitz said.

It is the 4th most populated county by total numbers.

1. Dublin - 1,345,402
    2. Antrim - 618,108
    3. Cork - 542,196
    4. Down - 531,665

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Peregrine wrote: »
    I think some people still use scór in Irish.

scór = twenty
    dha scór = forty
    thrí scór go leath (three score and half) = seventy
    cúig déag agus ceithre scór = eighty-five

Should that be 95?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

razorblunt wrote: »
    Should that be 95?

Yes!
    cdeb wrote: »
    Could well be it alright, though your Irish syntax needs a bit of work I think. :)

Hey, the fadas are mostly correct! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No I'm not
    Co. Down is the 2nd most densely populated person/km2 county like thee glitz said.

It is the 4th most populated county by total numbers.

1. Dublin - 1,345,402
    2. Antrim - 618,108
    3. Cork - 542,196
    4. Down - 531,665

By density it is second. I wasn't sure if you meant by density or not. Density is a better measure when the fact refers to 'most densely populated'.

Apart from conquering about 11 million square miles of territory, being an unlikely promoter of religious freedom, putting it about to the extent that about .5% of the male population is a descendant, and being responsible for up to 40 million deaths, Ghengis Khan was also the founder of the world first efficient international postal system - called the Yam.

Recognizing the advantages of staying informed, he set up a system of post houses and outposts at regular distances throughout his empire, so that couriers could ride and exchange horses at each, or the post could be passed to a fresh courier and keep it moving around the clock. Using this relay system, post could travel 24/7 and cover hundreds of miles in a week.

The system of information stations and wayhouses meant that up to date information on the recipients whereabouts kept delays to a minimum and could also be used as secure bases for travelling VIPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Since it was discovered in 1930, Pluto has not yet made a complete orbit around the Sun.

Since it's officially recognized discovery in 1846, Neptune has only just completed it's first full orbit around the sun (in 2010).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Pluto in fact didn't even last a pluto year as a planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Picasso died the same year Pink Floyd released "Dark Side Of The Moon".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

Pluto is so far away that it's very cold.
    Pluto is so small that it's bigger than Mount Everest.
    Pluto has no human life.
    Pluto didn't get its name from Disney.
    Pluto backwards is Otulp.
    Pluto was discovered by humans.
    You can't see the Earth with your naked eye from Pluto.
    No one on Pluto has discovered Earth yet.
    The rock on Pluto is both cold and far away.
    Pluto is heavier than a pick up truck
    Pluto would orbit our moon, not due to gravity but due to attraction.
    Pluto doesn't like meteorites.
    There is only 1 bar signal on the iPhone on Pluto.
    Never look directly at Pluto through a telescope.
    Magnets work on Pluto

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭pangbang

Did you know that the Bonobo ape has 6 fingers per hand?

And that when the blood moon of the second month rises over the Bornean jungle, the apes 2nd-from-left middle finger swells to the size of an unreasonable gooseberry, gorging with blue blood that pulsates to the beat of Pat Kennys inner ear-drum?

Now you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

pangbang wrote: »
    Did you know that the Bonobo ape has 6 fingers per hand?

And that when the blood moon of the second month rises over the Bornean jungle, the apes 2nd-from-left middle finger swells to the size of an unreasonable gooseberry, gorging with blue blood that pulsates to the beat of Pat Kennys inner ear-drum?

Now you do.

So does the rather fine Gemma-Arterton, but the 6th extra finger was removed on delivery, she's otherwise perfectly formed.

Bonobo is also the name choosen by the funky Producer/DJ Simon Green. His 2006 release 'if you stayed over' contains the highest grove:funk ratio for that particular year.

The 2nd-from-left finger on the left hand was believe to run straight to the heart, hence the traditional location of wedding rings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Since we are posting poems. Bet you didn't know that John updike wrote a brilliant poem.in praise of voyager ii.

An Open Letter to Voyager 2

Dear Voyager:

This is to thank you for
    The last twelve years, and wishing you, what’s more,
    Well in your new career in vacant space.
    When you next brush a star, the human race
    May be a layer of old sediment,
    A wrinkle of the primates, a misspent
    Youth of some zoomorphs. But you, your frail
    Insectoid form, will skim the sparkling vale
    Of the void practically forever. As
    The frictionless light-years and aeons pass,
    The frozen points that from Earth’s vantage held
    Their mythic patterns firm will shift and melt;
    No wide-dish radios will strain to hear
    Your whispered news, nor poets call you dear.

Ere then, let me assure you, you’ve been grand —
    A little shaky at the outset, and
    Arthritic in the swivel-joints, antique
    In circuitry, virtually deaf, and weak
    As a refrigerator bulb, you kept
    Those picture postcards coming. Signals crept

To Pasadena, where they were enhanced
    Until those planets clear as daylight danced.
    The stripes and swirls of Jupiter’s slow boil,
    Its crazy moons, one cracked, one fried in oil,
    One glazed with ice, and one too raw to eat,
    Still cooking in the juice of inner heat,
    Arrived on our astonished monitors.
    Then, next, after a station break of years,
    Fat Saturn rode your feeble beam, and lo! —
    Not corny as we feared, but art deco —
    The hard-edge, Technicolor rings, as thin
    As cardboard, broader than Lake Michigan,
    And casting flashlit shadows. Planet three
    Was Uranus (accented solemnly
    By anchormen on the first syllable,
    Lest viewers think the “your” too personal):
    A glassy globe of gas upon its side,
    Its nine dark, close-knit rings at last descried,
    Its corkscrew-shaped magnetic passions bared,
    Its pocked attendants digitized and aired.
    Last loomed, against the Oort cloud, blue Neptune,
    Its counterrevolutionary moon,
    Its wispy arcs of rings and whitish streaks

Of unpredicted tempests — thermal freaks,
    As if an unused backyard swimming pool,
    Remote from stirring sunlight, dark and cool
    (Sub-sub-sub-freezing), by itself would splash.
    Displays of splendid waste, of rounded trash!
    Your looping miles of guided drift brought home
    How barren cosmic space would be to roam.
    One awful ball succeeds another, none
    Fit for a shred or breath of life. Our one
    Delightful, verdant orb was primed to cede
    The H2O and O and N we need.
    Your survey, in its scrupulous depiction,
    Purged from the solar system science fiction —
    No more Uranians or Io-ites,
    Just Earthlings dreaming through their dewy nights.

You saw where we could not, and dared to go
    Where we could scarcely dream; you showed
    A kind of metal courage, and faithfulness.
    Your cryptic, ciphered, graven messages
    Are for ourselves, designed to boomerang
    Back like a prayer from where the angels sang,
    That shining ancient blank encirclement.

Your voyage now outsoars mundane intent
    And joins matter’s blind motion. Au revoir,
    You rickety free-falling man-made star!
    Machines, like songs, belong to all. A man
    Aloft is Russian or American,
    But you aloft were simply sent by Man
    At large.

Sincerely yours,

A fan.

Pfft

The cookie monsters name is side :P

(I'm too thick for poems :pac: -didn't mean to come across as dismissing your point)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

In 1982 Mattel thought, for some reason, that a teen pregnancy Barbie would be a good idea. So Barbies best mate Midge got knocked up.
    Midge was sold "pregnant" with Nikki, who was a tiny baby inside Midge's magnetic removable womb. This led to some controversy with some consumers saying that the doll was inappropriate for children, or that it promoted teen pregnancy. Another cause for this controversy was that Midge did not initially have a wedding ring, but this was later fixed. She also was packaged without Alan. Customers complaining about the doll led to Wal-Mart pulling the Happy Family line off their shelves.[7] A new version of this Midge was produced for Wal-Mart, this time not pregnant and with a cardboard cut-out display of Alan and Ryan standing next to her inside the box.[8] The Happy Family Line included everything from a talking house, a backyard swimming pool, neighborhood market, and playground.

set_pregnant_midge.jpg

1-107-1.jpg?w=970

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Since it was discovered in 1930, Pluto has not yet made a complete orbit around the Sun.

Since it's officially recognized discovery in 1846, Neptune has only just completed it's first full orbit around the sun (in 2010).

http://joshworth.com/dev/pixelspace/pixelspace_solarsystem.html

Assuming, we take a straight line of sight direction, to Pluto's average distance from the Sun* (it has a highly elliptical orbit). How long would it take to reach Pluto by driving a car at 65mph or circa 100kph?

6,293 years. Give or take a decade or two.

If we used a Boeing 777 at it's full speed of 590 mph, then we'd get there in a mere 680 years.

And that's just our own cosmic backyard.

* 1 AU, astonomical unit, is the distance from the sun to earth. (93 million mile). Pluto's average distance from the sun is 39 AU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Shaggy from Scooby-Doo's actual character name is "Norville Rogers".

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

40 years ago, The Almeria region in the South of Spain was one of the poorest regions in Spain. Today, Almeria is home to largest concentration of greenhouses in the world — over 100,000 acres of (controversial) greenhouses producing over €1bn in revenue from fruit & veg every year. Every bit of white you see along the coast from Nijar to Motril in the image below are greenhouses.

Ts1XU24l.png

The town of El Ejido is surrounded by greenhouses:

greenhouses-almeria-1%25255B6%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800

greenhouses-almeria-2%25255B5%25255D.jpg?imgmax=800

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Donald Trumps Grandad wanted to build a wall around Texas to protect it from Meteorites.

Walter Trump " I will build a Wall"

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Donald Trumps Grandad wanted to build a wall around Texas to protect it from Meteorites.

Walter Trump " I will build a Wall"
    That video is too perfect. Living in Texas right now and the attitude of total irrational fear and the conviction that they can only be saved by the one man and his wall is a mirror image of that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Botox is the most poisonous (toxic?) Substance ever known.

1kg costs a trillion dollars.

If you had 2kg of it youd have enough to kill everybody in the world.

The stuff people inject in their face is diluted to the billionth part and still kills nerves instantly

Botox is the most poisonous (toxic?) Substance ever known.

1kg costs a trillion dollars.

If you had 2kg of it youd have enough to kill everybody in the world.

The stuff people inject in their face is diluted to the billionth part and still kills nerves instantly

It's a form of botulism, and it doesn't kill the nerves but paralyses them. It wears off, so repeat injections are needed until eventually the muscles atrophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

After the Korean War, UN prisoners in the North had the choice of returning home or living in communist China. Some chose to go to China and some of them never came back. Many of them were African-Americans, who no doubt thought China couldn't be worse than Jim Crow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Just north of almeria is tabernas, one of the few deserts in europe. A lot of hollywood western films were shot there in the 50s as the desert looked more 'american' than anything in nevada/arizona - fistful of dollars was filmed there!

There are also small deserts in Poland, Serbia & Italy, and technically the majority of Iceland and Greenland are also deserts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

retalivity wrote: »
    Just north of almeria is tabernas, one of the few deserts in europe. A lot of hollywood western films were shot there in the 50s as the desert looked more 'american' than anything in nevada/arizona - fistful of dollars was filmed there!

It was a lot safer to film there, as many of the downwinders will testify. John Wayne and crew (The Conqueror '54) filmed in Nevada, was downwind of testing sites. Many of the crew and locals suffered from grey dust exposure and cancers, possibly as a direct result.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

There are only 4 words in the English language that end in "dous". I get tremendous joy from that fact,I think it is a stupendous fact to know and enjoy dropping it into casual conversation as it clearly not hazardous to your health, and the 4th word ending in "Dous" is of course the word....well that word is too horrible to mention ,

Too horrible, horrendous some would say..

Also it would be jeopardous to think there are only 4 words!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

Too horrible, horrendous some would say..

Also it would be jeopardous to think there are only 4 words!

After spending many a lonely year consulting learned tomes on the subject at hand,I came up with 4,. in hindsight I believe I should have qualified the statement with the word"common". ( in the end I gave up and just googled it and would appear there are around 12 words ending in dous,but you try dropping the word "apodous" into casual conversation and see how you get on).

• Advertisement

kingchess wrote:
    try dropping the word "apodous" into casual conversation and see how you get on).

I had to look it up. It means "having no feet, or only rudimentary feet"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement