Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

OJ Simpson was originally cast to play Terminator, but the studio was afraid that no one would buy him as a remorseless killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Cartouche wrote: »
    OJ Simpson was originally cast to play Terminator, but the studio was afraid that no one would buy him as a remorseless killer.

Does Alanis know? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Ferns, Kilkenny and Carlow Town were all once the capital of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

By a tragic coincidence, two young Dominican Major League Baseball stars, Andy Marte and Yordano Ventura, both died on the same day i.e. yesterday 23rd January 2017 in unrelated road accidents in the Dominican Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Ferns, Kilkenny and Carlow Town were all once the capital of Ireland

Kilkenny should have stayed as the capital, just saying ;)

• Advertisement

If you farted consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

KKkitty wrote: »

I've just realised that you're not actually a white supremacist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

The nearest galaxy to us is Andromeda, 2.5 million light years away. If there is life in Andromeda and they have developed a telescope powerful enough to observe the surface of the Earth close-up, they will not see the human race, or anything we created. In fact, the continents won't even appear as they do now. They will observe Earth as it was 2.5 million years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The character played by Spike Milligan in Life of Brian (he played this guy) was written in at the last second after the Monty Python crew found out he happened to be in the country on holiday while they were filming.

On the same theme, it can take a photon 40,000 years to travel from the core of the sun to its surface, but only 8 minutes to travel the rest of the way to Earth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

stimpson wrote: »
    I've just realised that you're not actually a white supremacist.

I should really have thought about my username more.

I should really have thought about my username more.

I kinda like it. Racist, but fluffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Laois_Man wrote: »
    On the same theme, it can take a photon 40,000 years to travel from the core of the sun to its surface, but only 8 minutes to travel the rest of the way to Earth

The excellently composed and perfectly exposed photos taken in '69 in Holywood on the surface of the moon were probably subject to a fair amount of photon exposure and other electron-magnetic projections from the surface of the sun.

The medium format film sized camera was likely a fairly clumsy device to use with space gloves, under zero gravity, there was also no viewfinder present as a space saving measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

osarusan wrote: »
    The character played by Spike Milligan in Life of Brian (he played this guy) was written in at the last second after the Monty Python crew found out he happened to be in the country on holiday while they were filming.

Which is fair enough considering MP basically ripped off Spike's ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

If your brain was a hard drive it could store up to 3000 terabytes.

If your eyes were a camera they would be 576 megapixels.
    That second part is not entirely true, our eye sight is actually not great comparatively with our brain filling in a lot of gaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I5Q3UXkGd0

^^^ It mentions your figure of 576 and why the more accurate number is closer to 7 megapixels.

In the early 90s, the actor voicing Mickey Mouse married the actress voicing Minnie Mouse. In real-life like! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Joe Moneybags

From the first confirmed powered manned flight on 17 December 1903, flight speed was less than 7 mph

it took almost 44 years to Oct 14 1947 to officially break the sound barrier: Mach 1.

It took only another 12 years to get to Mach 2: Dec 15 1959

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

From the first confirmed powered manned flight on 17 December 1903, flight speed was less than 7 mph...

It always amused me that Orville Wright's first flight of 120 feet is considerably shorter than the wingspan of a Boeing 747. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Steve Buscemi was a Fire Fighter before he started acting. During 9/11, he rejoined his old fire engine company to help out. He worked 12 hour shifts digging through rubble for survivors. Despite this though, he has remained quiet about it for a long time, refusing to do interviews about it, and there is no photographic footage.

The 7th largest building in the world by useable volume is the Tesco Distribution centre in Donabate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_buildings

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

From the first confirmed powered manned flight on 17 December 1903, flight speed was less than 7 mph

it took almost 44 years to Oct 14 1947 to officially break the sound barrier: Mach 1.

It took only another 12 years to get to Mach 2: Dec 15 1959
    On the 4 October 1957 Sputnik 1 was going Mach 25.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The RTC should have gone there instead of Carlow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

The first time Star Wars movie was shown it was only called Star Wars. A New Hope came later.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sharpey85

Johnny Cash was the first American to know that Stalin had died. Due to his role in the military being to intercept Russian Morse code.

On the 4 October 1957 Sputnik 1 was going Mach 25.

Sputnik 1 was a satellite, not an aircraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

The closest point to space on Earth is not Mount Everest. Rather it is Mount Chimborazo, a 20,000 plus foot mountain in the Andes. Even though Mount Everest is taller from sea level, Mount Chimborazo sits higher on Earth's bulge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The closest point to space on Earth is not Mount Everest. Rather it is Mount Chimborazo, a 20,000 plus foot mountain in the Andes. Even though Mount Everest is taller from sea level, Mount Chimborazo sits higher on Earth's bulge.

Furthest point from the centre of the planet yes, I'm not sure if the atmosphere is smaller there though to make it "closer to space" :p

Furthest point from the centre of the planet yes, I'm not sure if the atmosphere is smaller there though to make it "closer to space" :p

He's talking about the closest point fron Earth's centre of gravity.

At 10,200 meters Mauna Kea in Hawaii is taller than either. It's base is under water.

Mount Chimborazo isn't closer to space. It's close to the equator where the atmosphere is thicker than at the poles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

I used to work for a potato company and I can reveal that baby potatoes are literally made from babies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement