Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-04-2018, 09:10   #1
p15574

Genealogy DNA site used to catch murderer

It's great that he was caught and all that, but I wonder if there are any legal or ethical issues with this? Would this be the first known use of a website's DNA database for law enforcement purposes? Possible 'Big Brother' type future uses?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-04-2018, 09:13   #2
PirateShampoo

It's not just a issue right now but will be a massive issue for your future generations who might not even submit dna.
27-04-2018, 09:17   #3
evolving_doors

Any chance of a link to the story?
27-04-2018, 09:19   #4
p15574

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolving_doors View Post
Any chance of a link to the story?
It's in the post above, hyperlink under "this". Here it is again:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/joseph-...alogy-website/
Thanks from:
27-04-2018, 09:27   #5
pinkypinky

I'd like to know more about how they used it.

Did he have his own DNA in the database?
Advertisement
27-04-2018, 09:30   #6
p15574

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post

I'd say they had his DNA from a crime scene (blood or bodily fluids) and either submitted it as 'him' (probably unlikely as they use cheek swabs), or else did the DNA analysis and then uploaded it, as 'him' again, to, say, MyHeritage as coming from another website. You know the way you can import your results from other DNA websites to MyHeritage. Then they must have matched on cousins or something and used that to narrow down suspects.
27-04-2018, 09:33   #7
pinkypinky

Well that would have dodgy ethics: you have to have the person's permission to put their DNA into those databases.
27-04-2018, 09:35   #8
Checkmate19

Delighted they caught him obviously. But i reckon websites that track ancestors this way may see business down. They are going to have to disclose surely how they done this. I'd say they got a subpoena or something judicial to get the companies to allow to run his dna against their database. I would be shocked if his dna was on it and it was probably a relative and they went from there.
27-04-2018, 09:38   #9
Checkmate19

Be interesting how this plays out in court if it does go to trial. They more than likely have got the right man and i'm delighted. Closure for the family's and one of the most evil men alive brought to justice. But i'd say there will be questions on the legalities of they way they have done this. Could they use this method to catch more. Because i'm sure as **** they will try.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-04-2018, 09:39   #10
Vetch

Quote:
Well that would have dodgy ethics: you have to have the person's permission to put their DNA into those databases.
Depends on the jurisdiction but things like the detection, investigation of crime and national security would often override usual rules.
Thanks from:
27-04-2018, 09:42   #11
crossman47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate19 View Post
Delighted they caught him obviously. But i reckon websites that track ancestors this way may see business down. They are going to have to disclose surely how they done this. I'd say they got a subpoena or something judicial to get the companies to allow to run his dna against their database. I would be shocked if his dna was on it and it was probably a relative and they went from there.
I think thats right.They ran the DNA they had from the crime scene against the data base and so came up with a family that had links to the suspect. They then narrowed it down based on location, etc. He became their main suspecct and they got a sample of his DNA from a cigarette butt or such.
27-04-2018, 09:43   #12
pinkypinky

Definitely going to be watching developments with interest.
27-04-2018, 09:46   #13
Peregrinus

Quote:

No, he didn't. But various of his relatives did, which meant that the police knew that the crime was committed by someone who was related to several identifiable people. Which of course is a pretty small pool of suspects.

Which means, yeah, there are some genuine issues here. Obviously I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for a serial rapist/killer who got caught because some of his relatives put their DNA into this database (for genealogical research purposes, presumably). But next time round it could be you, getting refused life insurance, or getting denied a job, because of inferences drawn from DNA contributed by family members to a database such as this.
(3) thanks from:
27-04-2018, 14:19   #14
pinkypinky

Article in the Irish Times now which confirms that law enforcement did obtain a DNA sample from old evidence and put it into a database. Ancestry and 23andMe have denied it was them but they use saliva samples anyway. FTDNA is a cheek swab.
27-04-2018, 14:51   #15
pjproby

Gedmatch is the site the police used.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/26/1...-investigation
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size