Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-01-2016, 18:31   #301
P. Breathnach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermy View Post
... Why would they be given a dispensation from the Banns?
It was common enough. Sometimes a couple wanted to marry at short notice; in other cases,they wanted to guard their privacy. Look up and down the page, and you will find other instances.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-01-2016, 00:04   #302
pedroeibar1

Finding it almost impossible to log on this evening. To add to PB's post, the C word is "Consensa" = agreed ("fuit" = has been). Not sure that it is Manchester either, will come back to it again.
28-01-2016, 00:19   #303
Hermy

The linked marriage record above is a new branch of my tree which has only come to light in the last few days so I had no hunches to go on. However I see that Brillianna's sister - also Alicia Sophia like her mother - married a man with an address in Manchester as per their marriage record so Manchester may well be correct.
Thanks from:
29-01-2016, 00:20   #304
pedroeibar1

Quote:
The linked marriage record above is a new branch of my tree which has only come to light in the last few days
Love when that happens, warm feeling and shivers
(3) thanks from:
29-01-2016, 01:10   #305
Hermy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroeibar1 View Post
Love when that happens, warm feeling and shivers
Warm feeling indeed but I was supposed to be taking a break from it all in the New Year.
I had a bit of luck in that the newspaper record of that marriage states that the priest is the grooms brother, something I had long suspected but couldn't prove. That one little reference to them being siblings has opened all sorts of possibilities and will keep me busy for some time to come.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-01-2016, 10:37   #306
tabbey

Quote:
Warm feeling indeed but I was supposed to be taking a break from it all in the New Year.
I had a bit of luck in that the newspaper record of that marriage states that the priest is the grooms brother, something I had long suspected but couldn't prove. That one little reference to them being siblings has opened all sorts of possibilities and will keep me busy for some time to come.
A true family historian never gets to take a break.
One scrap of information always raises further questions, enigmas to be solved, questions to be answered, brick walls to be dismantled.
(2) thanks from:
31-01-2016, 20:34   #307
Hermy

Just looking for some opinions on a couple of records...

Firstly, the third entry on the left page for Mrs. Michael Moore Ballintrae - would it be reasonable to assume that this is the wife of Michael Moore?

Secondly, for the second last entry on the left for Edward Ignatius Moore - what do ye think is the mothers maiden name?
31-01-2016, 22:32   #308
tabbey

Quote:
Just looking for some opinions on a couple of records...

Firstly, the third entry on the left page for Mrs. Michael Moore Ballintrae - would it be reasonable to assume that this is the wife of Michael Moore?
Yes

Secondly, for the second last entry on the left for Edward Ignatius Moore - what do ye think is the mothers maiden name?
Could it be Roper?
Thanks from:
31-01-2016, 22:51   #309
Hermy

The best I could come up with is Hope.
Advertisement
01-02-2016, 00:56   #310
P. Breathnach

Quote:
The best I could come up with is Hope.
I'd agree, tending towards 100%. The first letter is not "R", because that writer forms his "Rs" quite differently.
Thanks from:
01-02-2016, 01:00   #311
P. Breathnach

Quote:
Firstly, the third entry on the left page for Mrs. Michael Moore Ballintrae - would it be reasonable to assume that this is the wife of Michael Moore?...
Yes.
Thanks from:
01-02-2016, 10:18   #312
pedroeibar1

I wondered if Ballintrae was/is the name of a house and checked Lewis' Top Dict. - it has
"KILBRIDE, a parish, in the barony of DUNBOYNE, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 4 ½ miles (N. by E.) from Clonee, on the road from Dublin to Ratoath; containing 279 inhabitants. It is a chapelry, in the diocese of Meath, forming part of the union of Dunboyne, in which the tithes are included. The church is in ruins. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Dunboyne and Kilbride, and has a small chapel. There is a private school, in which are about 30 children. On the lands of Ballintra are the remains of a Danish fort."
Thanks from:
01-02-2016, 10:54   #313
shanew

shown as Ballintry on the townland index and historic OSI
Thanks from:
01-02-2016, 11:59   #314
Hermy

That's the place all right. I have recently gone back a generation from Newcastle House, Co. Dublin to Ballintra/e/y House which is exciting.
07-02-2016, 23:35   #315
The Chieftain

Would appreciate it if people could help with the 24 February, 1792 marriage entry for Anne Magil and Patrick (Peter?) Crean ("Crane" in register) of Rahennaskeagh (OS spelling), visible towards the bottom, right at
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vt...ge/47/mode/1up
- Could the groom's name be Peter, rather than Patrick? That would make much more sense to me, based on other factors.
- Many parts of the entry are obscure, can anyone assist? In particular, what comes after the bride's name? What is the sentence at the end?
What is the meaning of "Odibus"?
Thanks

Last edited by The Chieftain; 07-02-2016 at 23:48.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion