Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
14-03-2006, 19:00   #1
 
Join Date: Feb 1998
Posts: 598
Bearing set for my headset?! Ball bearings?

Hey,
I have taken the fork out of my bike,
The ball bearings and ball bearing sets (if thats what it is called) is a bit fu<ked,
s it possible to buy these anywhere?
Or do i need to buy a whole new head set?

thanks,
toil
toil is offline  
Advertisement
14-03-2006, 21:45   #2
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 354
Depends on the headset and if it's worth your while. I'd buy a new one.
HusseinSarhan is offline  
14-03-2006, 21:52   #3
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by toil
Hey,
I have taken the fork out of my bike,
The ball bearings and ball bearing sets (if thats what it is called) is a bit fu<ked,
s it possible to buy these anywhere?
Or do i need to buy a whole new head set?

thanks,
toil

get a new one as the casing may be ****ed too. you will need a special tool to put it back in evenly. if your nice any decent bike shop will do it for e5 my mate got it done in halfords coolock, belive it or not they have a clue!!!!!
godfather69er is offline  
14-03-2006, 22:37   #4
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 354
I'm sure they'd fit it for free if you bought it there, well they ought to. Only takes a sec.
HusseinSarhan is offline  
14-03-2006, 23:15   #5
Morgan
Registered User
 
Morgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,461
It sounds like you have loose ball bearings held in a cage. You might be able to get some more life out of the headset if you get new bearings and clean everything up. You can throw away the cage for a start - it's not necessary. Any bike shop can supply bearings of the correct size. Use a good lot of grease to hold them in place as you put everything together. You'll be able to fit in a few extra ones without the cage - use as many as will fit easily.
Morgan is offline  
Advertisement
15-03-2006, 14:42   #6
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 300
Quote:
belive it or not they have a clue!!!!!
No they don't
thegloriousend is offline  
16-03-2006, 00:14   #7
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegloriousend
No they don't
Quote:
Originally Posted by A guy at Halfords
Yes, let's see, I'll just go ahead and adjust the rebound on these forks here...one sec...there we go, all done... er yeah
However, he didn't actually adjust anything on the fork. He just opened the fork instead and created the added bonus of oil leaking out.

What professionalism.
HusseinSarhan is offline  
16-03-2006, 20:05   #8
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by HusseinSarhan
However, he didn't actually adjust anything on the fork. He just opened the fork instead and created the added bonus of oil leaking out.

What professionalism.

eh im sorry but how did he manage to open the fork by adjusting da preload???? and as far as i know halfords dont stock bikes which have oil as a damper i think they are all spring, the best forks ive seen in there shop is marzocchi mz comp and rock shox judy and they are spring. what store did this happen by the way coz when i was there the mechanic had his downhill gt on da stand and was strippin it down
godfather69er is offline  
16-03-2006, 20:14   #9
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather69er
eh im sorry but how did he manage to open the fork by adjusting da preload???? and as far as i know halfords dont stock bikes which have oil as a damper i think they are all spring, the best forks ive seen in there shop is marzocchi mz comp and rock shox judy and they are spring. what store did this happen by the way coz when i was there the mechanic had his downhill gt on da stand and was strippin it down
It did not happen in the store, but the guys who did it were Hafords Mechanics, it was after hours. It was a private sale, we so happened to meet up at the store after they were finished for the day. What I'm saying is, he didn't know what he was doing, opened up the forks instead of adjusting what he thought to be the rebound.

In my books that constitutes not having a clue. Nice enough fellas, but no real idea about what they were doing. There are other things I could mention about the bike too but I won't bother.

As you said,there is still oil in spring forks,this is what leaked. I think there were Marz Drop-offs, as far as I remember. This was your man's personal bike too, so it really doesn't inspire confidence.

There may be ok mechanics working in Halfords in general but there were two of these guys there and they still fecked it up. Not confidence inspiring at all. Actually kind of funny, Lorrel and Hardy style.

Last edited by HusseinSarhan; 16-03-2006 at 20:16.
HusseinSarhan is offline  
Advertisement
16-03-2006, 20:30   #10
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by HusseinSarhan
It did not happen in the store, but the guys who did it were Hafords Mechanics, it was after hours. It was a private sale, we so happened to meet up at the store after they were finished for the day. What I'm saying is, he didn't know what he was doing, opened up the forks instead of adjusting what he thought to be the rebound.

In my books that constitutes not having a clue. Nice enough fellas, but no real idea about what they were doing. There are other things I could mention about the bike too but I won't bother.

As you said,there is still oil in spring forks,this is what leaked. I think there were Marz Drop-offs, as far as I remember. This was your man's personal bike too, so it really doesn't inspire confidence.


There may be ok mechanics working in Halfords in general but there were two of these guys there and they still fecked it up. Not confidence inspiring at all. Actually kind of funny, Lorrel and Hardy style.
if he turned the bike and loosened da bolts at the bottom then ye hes a ****ing thick,but what to ya expect from what yo say of these they are cowboys!!!!!!!! if you worked in a bike shop would yo sell your bike outside it?? thats asking for a p45
godfather69er is offline  
16-03-2006, 20:32   #11
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 354
Yeah, it was more out of handiness that outside the shop was the place to meet up. That way he'd have access to tools etc. Not knowing what you're at is probably more of a reason to get fired.
HusseinSarhan is offline  
17-03-2006, 02:28   #12
mockerydawg
Registered User
 
mockerydawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 245
Before you rain down entirely on Halfords, I know of many a cock up that has happened both to myself and others in the more credible dublin bike shops. As much as they should, bike mechanics don't know all. That is why you should learn to do it yourself.
mockerydawg is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet