Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Public servants' inability to afford to pay rent in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Part time carer. They want a live in nanny to cook, clean and do the shopping.

Cook a meal and grab some shopping.

How bad for saving 600e a month

excuses can always be found.

limnam wrote: »

The fact you are actually suggesting this is ok shows you are talking absolute and utter bull from start to finish. It isn’t and never was and never will be an acceptable way to rent a room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

All credibility officially lost. Or you’re trolling. One or the other.

But you are only showing yourself up so knock yourself out!

The fact you are actually suggesting this is ok shows you are talking absolute and utter bull from start to finish. It isn’t and never was and never will be an acceptable way to rent a room.

So rent one of the many other ones....

Excuses excuses excuses...

But i want to be close to the city...

I don't like public transport

i don't like mexicans..

I want, I want I want...

Get out of it.

So rent one of the many other ones....

Excuses excuses excuses...

But i want to be close to the city...

I don't like public transport

i don't like mexicans..

I want, I want I want...

Get out of it.

I’m going to highlight this post made by someone upthread. Neatly shows your posts about accommodation up for the nonsense that they are. Enjoy!
    HamSarris wrote: »
    Your grasp of statistics wouldn't be that great.

I did a search of house shares in Dublin which returned 1,567 properties. 14 of these properties were below 300 per month, representing 0.89% of rooms. A quick glance of the number of views was about 400-500 per room.

So less than 1% of rooms are below 300 per month and your be competing with hundreds of desperate other people to get them. And if the median is about 700 per month there's usually a big catch if a landlord decides to advertise a room at half the going price.

• Advertisement

All credibility officially lost. Or you’re trolling. One or the other.

But you are only showing yourself up so knock yourself out!

Are you for real?

People are calming they're on minum wage and can't find anything for less than 800e.

You have a chance to live in leafy foxrock for 180e a month for making a dinner and getting an old lady a bit of shopping?

Saving by your reckoning 620e a month

So for 7 hours work you basically get 620e.

"the youth of today"

Are you for real?

People are calming they're on minum wage and can't find anything for less than 800e.

You have a chance to live in leafy foxrock for 180e a month for making a dinner and getting an old lady a bit of shopping?

Saving by your reckoning 620e a month

So for 7 hours work you basically get 620e.

"the youth of today"

I certainly am for real. Keep digging. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Do you want my pay slip or something?

No, I do not.

Just give me some figures which backs up your argument.

You said you got a raise and are now worse off. I do not believe this to be true and neither do others here.
    Give some numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    they are self employed
    they can take time off when they want, generally
    So what period exactly of the year can mediacl staff take holidays. Better they hang around the hospitals while people dont even turn up for their appointment. The people who have to pay for their appointment will turn up but not the usual freeloaders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Since this is about unaffordable rents in Dublin (for public & private workers) - stumbled upon this initiative of tech companies in Bay Area, and thought similar would be beneficial for here too :)

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/tech-companies-donate-millions-for-bay-area-affordable-housing/1622941531
    - "the tech fund was established as an avenue for tech companies, many of whom have been criticized for helping to create the housing shortage, to do something about it. "

• Advertisement

You didn't read the whole ad did you? Where do you live on Saturday & Sunday????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

From march last year.

Davy stockbrokers have today released a report on public sector pay in Ireland.
    The report has found that average public sector wages are €47,400 in Ireland, 40% higher than in the private sector

I don't know how they survive.

That is categorically NOT the average wage.
    the average wage of most civil and public servants is more around the 25-35K mark.

anyone on 47000 would have been promoted to senior staff officer level.

the average salary for a civil servant is NOT 47000. simple fact.

and also - davy stockbrokers?! haha they're a sham!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I wouldn't even bothering arguing with him. He's practically foaming at the mouth with rage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

I wouldn't even bothering arguing with him. He's practically foaming at the mouth with rage.

i know, but i do find it bizarre that thick stupid people come out with these statistics and just believe everything they read about the "civil service".

it's redundant anyway, because obvious troll is obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Yes he's talking bull****. I used to be a public servant myself and I know what the salary scales are like in real life. But trying to argue with people like that is like trying to play chess with a pigeon. You'll never get anywhere with them and they're never going to change their minds
    Let them rant away and work themselves up into a lather because that's what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I've posted this before and I literally cannot be clearer. Here's the payscales, vast majority of staff below H.E.O. Grade

https://circulars.gov.ie/pdf/circular/per/2017/22.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Birneybau wrote: »
    I've posted this before and I literally cannot be clearer. Here's the payscales, vast majority of staff below H.E.O. Grade

https://circulars.gov.ie/pdf/circular/per/2017/22.pdf

Within those payscale increments though lies the fundamental reason for the over-payment of civil servants. Automatic increases are against all economic sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭1st dalkey dalkey

We have some of the best trained nurses in the world.

Just ask the hospitals in London, Sydney and Toronto.

And of course they are all going there to avoid the high wages paid at home.

But that is only half the problem.

We also have a British Tory Party approach to housing. Our government looks after it's landlord mates, first last and always.

Lower paid workers of all kinds, public and private, are mere fodder for these new 'aristocracy'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

the average wage of most civil and public servants is more around the 25-35K mark.

I don't think you know the difference between the average and the median.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I'd like to see the median salary
    But it mightn't suit the narrative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,142 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

TBH, there should be a top-up for public servants working in major urban centres (Dublin, Cork, Galway etc.). I know I certainly couldn't match my Dublin salary if I lived in Donegal: the private sector factors the cost of city living into it's pay-scales so I can't see why it'd be wrong for the public sector to follow suit.

A teacher with 10 years experience on €47,133 (according to ASTI scale) is earning a really decent salary if they live in Kerry, Leitrim, Donegal etc. where a good-sized family home can be easily purchased with that salary (3.5 times salary as a mortgage rule).

In Dublin, with a decent deposit, they'd be lucky to buy a 1 bed apartment (and it probably won't be in a great area).

TBH, our rurally-based public servants are over-paid but I don't think the same can really be said of those based in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

... I guess they are already topping up for strategic jobs they can't find suitable candidates for (such as research)

But topping up all wages is non-sense; can imagine the chaos would create.
    - you can instead invest in the infrastructure to allow ppl from country side to work in/for Dublin.
    - you can provide work related accommodation - in a way same as you provide social housing, means tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

https://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/earnings/

2017 data here:

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/elca/earningsandlabourcostsannualdata2017/

Note earnings includes overtime and bonuses

Average earnings = 37,646

Average earnings for FT workers = 46,402

Average annual earnings in public admin and defence = 48,907

See sector O in the data.

Sector P, education = 42,674 (mostly PS?)

Sector Q Human health and social work = 36,313

PS earnings will be higher due to more experience, more qualifications, and higher skills, e.g. HSE doctors, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Geuze wrote: »
    Average annual earnings in public admin and defence = 48,907

See sector O in the data.

Sector P, education = 42,674 (mostly PS?)

Sector Q Human health and social work = 36,313

PS earnings will be higher due to more experience, more qualifications, and higher skills, e.g. HSE doctors, etc.

Fairly throwaway subjective comment. Also nice top-end example you've picked there.

Public sector earnings are dictated by whatever agreement the govt decide to implement.

Public sector workers are (primarily) not commercially driven. The pay they get is not compared to the commercial value they bring to their work, and therefore can't be compared to the private sector rationale.

You could have all sorts of people in the private sector, some of which don't have specific qualifications, but for whatever they have in the locker they manage to create significant value to the business they work for. That has a knock-on effect in terms of what an employer is willing to pay them. Skilled workers in the private sector can also scale their work up to a much bigger target market, and can therefore create a hell of a lot of money for their employer.

I don't know what the CSO mean by "Structural Earnings", but here you go:

https://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/earnings/structuralearnings/

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/eaads/earningsanalysisusingadministrativedatasources2011-2014/

2014 data on median earnings

All employments = 528.81

private sector = 462.38

PS = 815.64

"The aggregate results presented in this release should not be used for detailed analysis of either the public/private pay gap or the gender pay gap, as mean or median weekly earnings do not take account of the compositional differences in education, occupation, length of service etc.

To fully understand issues relating to the composition of earnings the use of econometric analysis is the preferred approach in international literature. The CSO has begun work exploring the possibility of developing a suitable model to allow for a detailed econometric analysis based on administrative data sources.
    "

ligerdub wrote: »
    Fairly throwaway subjective comment. Also nice top-end example you've picked there.

https://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/earnings/publicprivatesectorpaydifferential/

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭1st dalkey dalkey

"Sector Q Human health and social work = 36,313

PS earnings will be higher due to more experience, more qualifications, and higher skills, e.g. HSE doctors, etc."

That those with higher qualifications are paid more is true, but also means that there are many paid less, the nature of averages.

Carers, Cleaners, Porters, Security etc., all essential to running a modern hospital will be in the bottom end, paid way less then the average. Many now qualifying for supplementary welfare payments to get by.

The notion that all PS workers are on the gravy train is base stupid. It is just a handy 'divide and conquer' mechanism.
    All low paid workers, public and private, need to stick together and force government action on housing.

The notion that all PS workers are on the gravy train is base stupid. It is just a handy 'divide and conquer' mechanism.
    All low paid workers, public and private, need to stick together and force government action on housing.

++++100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Except public sector works do get made redundant, I was and I know plenty more who were also and not even in the recession in many cases. You are just shoveling nonsense in every single post.

What an idiotic comment, what does it even mean. You don’t consider a teacher is working unless they are in a class room or in the school building.

Good job you aren’t in charge anywhere (private or public sector) or working from home would be considered a day off :rolleyes:

And in your case, he would be right.

You have boasted on here before about "working from home" while at a wedding, nursing a raging hangover or extending Holidays at Christmas.

If he was in charge, he'd get more out of the likes of slackers like you portray.

Advertisement