Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mike Murphy memorial Cycle

• 19-05-2016 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi all. Many of you will know of the legendary Iron-Man Mike murphy from Caherciveen winner of the 1958 Ras. Sadly Mike passed away last september . The Mike Murphy Memorial Cycling Club will hold a cycle on 10 september this year to raise fund to erect a statue to this great man. We would like to invite all cyclists.
    Beasty will follow up with links to our facebook page where you can learn wwhat we are all about.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

First link not working. Ill try and get this rectified. My apologies.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

myclist wrote: »
    First link not working. Ill try and get this rectified. My apologies.
    That may have been my fault in the way I copied and pasted. Should be working now

Best of luck with this

Just want to give this a bit of a bump. We have a Fabulous prize Of a €500 euro voucher for online entrants to this event. See the link in earlier post (Facebook) to find out more and to see what we are all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Ah lads. Unless I'm very much mistaken, it's the same day as the rebel tour!?

• Advertisement

It is. Sorry about that. We were working with the anniversary of Mike Murphys death. Its a different cause. Cyclists respecting a Legendary Cyclist. If youve committed to the Rebel Tour thats fine. Maybe we'll see you next year. We kinda wanted to honour the date for the first year. Please spread the word . The rebel tour is a fine tough cycle and we dont want to take anything from it. If thats not your thing consider our event. We will hope to avoid the clash next year if we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Ah fair enough. Just the rebel tour being a more established event might hoover up all available sportivers that day on ye.
    If ye had it on the Sunday I'd have done the two spins in homage to the hard man! Beannacht Dé ar a anam.

Thanks. Spread the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Allabaah

Just want to give this a little bump here. We have a prize of a €500 voucher for cyclists who register before midnight tonight. See link in First post. A nice late season spin with fine cycling in South kerry.. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Same here if it wasn't on the rebel weekend I'd be there in a shot, will keep eye out next year

Thanks. Will consider a date change for next year. We chose this weekend as it is the first anniversary of his death.

Just a note to let you all know we had a great event last saturday. Almost 170 cyclists and beautiful weather. Everything went smoothly. And we raised a little over €5000 which will be all put to a fund to build the statue. If any of you guys were there, Thank you, and if not consider us for next year. Our facebook in the link near the top of the page has photos if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Hi all,

Just to let you know that we'll have a donations box and display for the Mike Murphy Memorial at the OldVelos Vintage Velo Expo this weekend. The expo is on at Randles Bros, Nissan Dealers on the Muckross Road Killarney and will include bikes from the Golden Days of the Rás Tailteann of the 1950's to the bikes of the Nissan International Classic of the 1980's. More on www.oldvelos.com

Brendan

Thanks a million Brendan. Hope your expo goes well.

Hi All . We are having our second Mike Murphy Memorial Cycle on the 2nd september this year and look forward to seeing some of you guys and gals there. Last year we raised over €5500 towards the building a statue of our local cycling hero and hope to do as well or better this year. We have a great prize for online registration of 1 nights accomodation in Caherciveen on the night of september 2nd (for 2 people) and a trip to the famous Skellig Michael island the following day . See the Facebook link in the opening posts of this thread to find out more. This is a Cycling Ireland event and we had massive positive feedback on the organisation of it last year. If you cant make it share the prize details with a buddy. A trip to land on SKellig Michael is quite a sought after prize!!

Maybe give the mods a shout to add links for registration etc for you again.

Facebook page

myclist forwarded me that link which itself has a link to registration

Just giving this a bump. This saturday in Caherciveen. Weather forecast is good. Facebook@murphycycle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Is there a route map for this? I don't really use facebook so am having some difficulty digging it out. :o

• Advertisement

The third annual Mike Murphy Memorial Cycle takes place on Saturday next ,sept 1st. Sign on from 09-00 and roll out at 10-00am from Caherciveen Marina. If anyone fancys a late season sportive in beautiful south Kerry, we'd love to see ye on the day. Thanks.

Just a reminder that The Mike Murphy Memorial is back . Two weeks today. If you've been with us before we'd love to see you again and if you haven't , Come see what you are missing. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Just a reminder that The Mike Murphy Memorial is back . Two weeks today. If you've been with us before we'd love to see you again and if you haven't , Come see what you are missing. Thanks.

How can one find out what the route is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

TGD wrote: »
    How can one find out what the route is?

The shorter version is the same route except you don't take the turn-off towards towards Portmagee for the Valentia loop and instead go straight back to Caherciveen.

Note - I'm assuming the course hasn't changed since 2017.

That's it @DeepBlue , Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

how about nominating him for cycling irelands hall of fame ? seeing as I see nominations are open again and I would have assumed he was already in there but he isnt

Didnt realise such a thing existed. Definitely something to consider. Thanks for the heads up.

Just giving this a bump here!! We are all set for Saturday morning. Forecast is not too bad. Hope to see some of you guys here. Thanks.

• Advertisement

We regret to announce that the Mike Murphy Memorial Cycle will not go ahead this August 29 as planned. This is due to the complications and difficulties caused by Covid-19. We hope to see you all next year. Stay safe all. Thanks.

Advertisement