Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-05-2013, 14:57   #16
wolfpawnat

Well we have a few choices.

- Let NAMA and a developer who is being investigated for being in the notorious "Anglo Golden Circle" go ahead with this project, costing the tax payer MILLIONS for a shopping center when so many places around Dublin are empty already.

- Let it continue into dilapidation and become an absolute health hazard and expect DCC to fix it, again costing the tax payer.

OR

-Let the "Save Moore Street Campaign" do what they have planned. Which is do up the houses as they were that week, fixing the structure of each as they go. Turn it into a museum and open it to the public for the great cost of........ nothing to the tax payer. Apparently they have an American philanthropist ready with the cash to do it without costing DCC or the taxpayer a penny! I'd say all they would request is a few unused cases from the other OPW museums to keep a few exhibits. The SMSC has the backing of ALL the signatories families and the families of all those executed for the Rising, meaning you can only imagine the fantastic history and artifacts they would loan the museum!!!

To me it's a no brainer, that area of the city needs a sprucing, it needs to attract tourists and it needs to cost the stretched taxpayer and council as little as possible!
Advertisement
19-05-2013, 17:45   #17
Seanbass

finally some sense being spoken.
Thanks from:
20-05-2013, 15:55   #18
InTheTrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdebets View Post
But a shopping mall would be the ideal monument, to show the development of the Irish State from the Easter Rising to the Celtic Tiger. And all in one building.
I like it. A war zone on one end, with a shopping mall in the middle and then a boarded up ruin at the other end.
20-05-2013, 18:03   #19
pedroeibar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpawnat View Post
Well we have a few choices.

- Let NAMA and a developer who is being investigated for being in the notorious "Anglo Golden Circle" go ahead with this project, costing the tax payer MILLIONS for a shopping center when so many places around Dublin are empty already.

- Let it continue into dilapidation and become an absolute health hazard and expect DCC to fix it, again costing the tax payer.

OR

-Let the "Save Moore Street Campaign" do what they have planned. Which is do up the houses as they were that week, fixing the structure of each as they go. Turn it into a museum and open it to the public for the great cost of........ nothing to the tax payer. Apparently they have an American philanthropist ready with the cash to do it without costing DCC or the taxpayer a penny! I'd say all they would request is a few unused cases from the other OPW museums to keep a few exhibits. The SMSC has the backing of ALL the signatories families and the families of all those executed for the Rising, meaning you can only imagine the fantastic history and artifacts they would loan the museum!!!

To me it's a no brainer, that area of the city needs a sprucing, it needs to attract tourists and it needs to cost the stretched taxpayer and council as little as possible!
That is not history - it is fairytale stuff and highly inaccurate. Typical emotive gombeen posting, throw in Anglo, Golden Circle, NAMA, the poor taxpayer and a few more red herrings to grab attention/support. Inaccurate stuff like that belongs in After Hours, not History. Do you guys not even do BASIC research?
For starters the site owners are Chartered Land, the ‘1916’ buildings are preserved, there is no issue about that and there is a process underway see the Irish Government’s News Service website at http://www.merrionstreet.ie/index.ph...24-april-2013/
‘American Philanthropists’ are ten a penny when talking to those who are on pet projects – the simple fact of the matter is that the guys behind this project have done very little because they are all blather and no money and despite lobbying the government i.e.the TAXPAYER (who thankfully told them to go away) have not yet raised sufficient to do anything of note. And that includes cleaning the facade of the building.
Maybe I’m too cynical, but the fact that some of them run a ‘heritage walking tours’ business in the area cannot go unnoticed.
20-05-2013, 18:17   #20
Maudi

i have full faith in the city fat cats when it comes to the heritage of the city..after all look at the sterling work they did on wood quay.
Advertisement
20-05-2013, 20:06   #21
wolfpawnat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroeibar1 View Post
That is not history - it is fairytale stuff and highly inaccurate. Typical emotive gombeen posting, throw in Anglo, Golden Circle, NAMA, the poor taxpayer and a few more red herrings to grab attention/support. Inaccurate stuff like that belongs in After Hours, not History. Do you guys not even do BASIC research?
For starters the site owners are Chartered Land, the ‘1916’ buildings are preserved, there is no issue about that and there is a process underway see the Irish Government’s News Service website at http://www.merrionstreet.ie/index.ph...24-april-2013/
‘American Philanthropists’ are ten a penny when talking to those who are on pet projects – the simple fact of the matter is that the guys behind this project have done very little because they are all blather and no money and despite lobbying the government i.e.the TAXPAYER (who thankfully told them to go away) have not yet raised sufficient to do anything of note. And that includes cleaning the facade of the building.
Maybe I’m too cynical, but the fact that some of them run a ‘heritage walking tours’ business in the area cannot go unnoticed.
To say a historic building is listed does not mean it is preserved.

12 million for 4 buildings to date is adequate enough. Which is what is ready to go currently and the promise of more if it required in the future. Or it would be if it was a project the government had an interest in. Even if all the SMSC did was stabilise the buildings, which they are requesting to do at present. It would be better, but I think we all know that rich business men/groups mean a hell of a lot more to the wealthy FG ministers than a republican part of our heritage.

The SMSC have had programmes on TG4 and have went to Leinster House with their plans including proof of financial backing but have yet to get permission to go ahead, because well, in Ireland, the rich will always look after their buddies! We see this time and time again. They have also went to Wood Quay with their proposals. They can go nowhere until NAMA relinquish the property from Chartered Lands.

There is no need for another shopping development in the city center. There are too many places already empty. How planning was ever permitted when there is a preservation order on those buildings I will never know. But my gut tells me of the money changing hands that is so synonymous with the previous FF government and of course their friends in FG would be glad to knock those building to the ground. I have little doubt the continued allowing of those buildings to become more and more derelict is so that people won't care what happens as long as they don't have to look at them, so all that need happen is a bit of rough handling and the lot are destroyed "accidentally" if that shopping development goes ahead but people will not be surprised with their previous state.

I am in no way connected with the SMSC group btw, just someone who researched this information and with a love of my country's amazing history.

And this is about the taxpayer and the money in Ireland in general. We cannot afford unnecessary vanity projects of dodgy men and companies when there is no money for such things!
05-10-2014, 07:39   #22
Slideshowbob

Is this what the DDC vote is about this week?

Future 1916 Easter Rising Museum - Moore Street Dublin http://t.co/UKIbcVqik5
22-10-2014, 13:41   #23
cgcsb

There is still bickering over this:
http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1022/654...-moore-street/

I was under the impression that the decision had been made. Why is there more talk? surely construction needed to commence months ago in order to be complete in Q2 2016. There's only 18 months left.
22-10-2014, 14:25   #24
Slideshowbob

'Twas deferred 2 wks back

http://www.herald.ie/news/1916-moore...-30553307.html
Advertisement
23-10-2014, 12:46   #25
A Disgrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcsb View Post
There is still bickering over this:
http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1022/654...-moore-street/

I was under the impression that the decision had been made. Why is there more talk? surely construction needed to commence months ago in order to be complete in Q2 2016. There's only 18 months left.
It's a farce - there's no way it'll be decided/built/opened in time for the Centenary.
03-11-2014, 13:27   #26
cgcsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Disgrace View Post
It's a farce - there's no way it'll be decided/built/opened in time for the Centenary.
Agreed, the herald link above says all. Councillors don't want to be pressured into making a decision (despite there only being a matter of months remaining). I think it's safe to say that moore street will either be unchanged by 2016 or it will be a building site. Thanks to the bumbling Irish politician who wants to please everyone come election time by not having any firm opinions on anything.
04-11-2014, 09:26   #27
cgcsb

so the land swap is out, what now? another 100 years of decay?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1103/656699-moore-street/
05-11-2014, 18:06   #28
A Disgrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgcsb View Post
so the land swap is out, what now? another 100 years of decay?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1103/656699-moore-street/
TBH, I doubt any sort of conservation or museum was going to happen WITHOUT the shopping centre in the first place… and I pretty much doubt the shopping centre is going to happen anyway. Bits of the land will probably be sold off to development here and there, and we’ll be wondering about the 1916 buildings and the state of them, in another 10 years
05-11-2014, 19:22   #29
Jesus.
Banned

That deal sounded very good to me yet they voted against it. Those relatives want their cake and eat it.

Don't they know the Country is cash-strapped?
06-11-2014, 16:01   #30
CrabRevolution

The point has probably been made many times before. But there's a bit of a contradiction in the way that despite the rebels fighting and dying for a republic, freedom from aristocracy etc. these relatives' claim to authority is the fact they are descended from them.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion