Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garmin vivoactive 3 in Lidl €160

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

I have the vivoactive 3 music and it uploads automatically to strava after every use. The garmin app is quite good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Hi. I'm in the market for a smartwatch around the 200 mark. I'm looking for GPS mainly, and the battery to last a while. Not too fused about the music functionality but that indeed would be a nice extra. It would also have to have a good sync system with strava. I was looking at Coros Pace which is about 200 euro, but not so sure about it as its quite a new brand. I'm mostly cycling lately, but i'm planning to do 50% cycling and 50% running. Does anyone have any suggestions ? At the moment I'm using a fitbit versa lite, and I'm really not a big fan of the fitbits.

I use a Forerunner 45 myself for running and cycling. As above said, the Garmin app is great and the syncing to Strava straight away is also a handy feature. I would highly recommend it. I get approx 1-week battery (only have GPS on during runs 5-6 days a week). I don't bother with notifications etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 alexander11

I was looking at both of those and one thing that would worry me a bit about the vivoactive 3/3 music is that it's a bit outdated.
    I haven't really looked into the Forerunner 45. That looks like a nice kit.
    Recently I was also looking at garmin forerunner 735xt, but same as vivoactive 3/3music it seems a bit older technology and i'm just afraid that in a year it will lose support/updates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

I was looking at both of those and one thing that would worry me a bit about the vivoactive 3/3 music is that it's a bit outdated.
    I haven't really looked into the Forerunner 45. That looks like a nice kit.
    Recently I was also looking at garmin forerunner 735xt, but same as vivoactive 3/3music it seems a bit older technology and i'm just afraid that in a year it will lose support/updates etc.

I wouldnt worry too much about Garmin dropping support. I bought my first Garmin in 2008 (forerunner 305 which had been out for some time already) and it still connects to the garmin platform on my PC and uploads my data to strava, mapmyfitness, etc.

except for the watch taking 5+ min to find all satellites (longer if it's cloudy) and the battery lasting for a 45min max it still works pretty well. I keep it as a backup and just as pretty amazing piece of vintage tech (it was $400 USD when I bought it and quite unique in functionality)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Fad watches.

Just go and run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

I have a Garmin Vivosport and it's a grand wee device, waterproof too. What it doesn't allow me to do is sync custom workouts to the watch, things like weights, pull ups etc. This was something that was really helpful when I had the Microsoft band, so if programming custom workouts is a requirement make sure the watch is compatible with that function.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i have the vivoactive 3
    its a good multifunction fitness tracker
    i use it for golf, running, cycling, swimming and day to day wear.
    BUT
    my recommendation is if you want a watch for a specific purposes, get a specific watch.
    like this is grand for running, but my old forerunner 410 is much better. my garmin approach is much better for golf and my edge is much better for cycling.

if you just want a decent fitness tracker, then you won't go to far wrong with this

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

Got the garmin 4s for 179£ on garmin.co.uk then 7 euro to parcel motel it. Was on offer three weeks back. Avoid the Irish site. I saved 75e that way

bonkers wrote: »
    Got the garmin 4s for 179£ on garmin.co.uk then 7 euro to parcel motel it. Was on offer three weeks back. Avoid the Irish site. I saved 75e that way

Seems a lot easier to find deals on the 4s than the 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

OmegaGene wrote: »
    That’s really helpful to the thread
    Jog on lol

You'll learn eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ClaptonBay

FFVII wrote: »
    Fad watches.

Just go and run.

Is that you David Goggins? Welcome to boards.
    Should I run in my bare feet aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Lads what's the difference vivoactive 3 and forerunner 45 or 45s

but1er wrote: »

I'm sure there's comparison websites out there, but the simple answer is that the Forerunners are primarily running devices, whereas Vivoactive are geared more towards general fitness/smart features. Still a more than decent running watch, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

I have been using one of these for a few months now and think €160 is a good price. Some of the measurements like sleep and stress are very good and it counts steps much more accurately than the likes of Google Fit on your phone. The app works fine and never had any issues with it.

The only gotcha I can think of is it doesn't warn you on the device itself or in the app if the battery is running low - you need to check the battery level on the device by going into one of the menus. Ironically if you configure it to receive message notifications etc from your phone you will get an alert on your Vivoactive if your phone battery is low but not when it's own battery is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

but1er wrote: »

Check it on DCRainmaker

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

nc6000 wrote: »
    I have been using one of these for a few months now and think €160 is a good price. Some of the measurements like sleep and stress are very good and it counts steps much more accurately than the likes of Google Fit on your phone. The app works fine and never had any issues with it.

The only gotcha I can think of is it doesn't warn you on the device itself or in the app if the battery is running low - you need to check the battery level on the device by going into one of the menus. Ironically if you configure it to receive message notifications etc from your phone you will get an alert on your Vivoactive if your phone battery is low but not when it's own battery is.

Depends on the watch face you're using, most watch faces have the battery percentage like No Frills.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

yes it does

Seve OB wrote: »
    yes it does

Where in the Garmin app can you see the battery details or warnings? I'm going to test this out by letting it run down and see what happens.

Where in the Garmin app can you see the battery details or warnings? I'm going to test this out by letting it run down and see what happens.

i dont use the app really as i dont use a smart phone for day to day use.

but my watch buzzes to let me know the battery is low

Yep, mine just buzzed there a while ago.

514567.jpeg

• Advertisement

Definitely some stock watchfaces have a battery indicator

Definitely some stock watchfaces have a battery indicator

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Priestess101

i have the garmin 4 on the way so im hoping it i good, it is currently with fastway so who know when that will turn up lol

Could you share a link/discount code to buy it please?

Must be a problem with mine then - I let it run down to test what happens and my battery got down to 4% and I never got any alert. I've been wearing it all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

i paid full price for the 4 but i am getting the one from lidl for a family member this morning

Slightly off topic, but did you manage to find a decent screen protector for the 4?

Pizzle wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but did you manage to find a decent screen protector for the 4?

I should have my 4 tomorrow or the day after, have ordered these screen protectors.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/For-Garmin-Vivoactive-4-45mm-Screen-Protector-Ultra-Clear-Multipack/274311882667

I guess there's no option of tempered glass, as the screen is slightly curved.

Thanks, I might pick a few of those up too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭jacool

Can I ask a stupid question?
    If I take the watch out for a run, but not my phone, is there a way to sync the steps taken across both items afterwards?
    Thanks.

jacool wrote: »
    If I take the watch out for a run, but not my phone, is there a way to sync the steps taken across both items afterwards?
    Thanks.

With all the garmin watches I've owned, that's been the case. When your watch syncs to the app everything is updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

jacool wrote: »
    Thanks.

All syncs back up with the connect app once they reconnect.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement