Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ever ask for something incredibly old fashioned and obsolete in a shop?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

They do but only way for me to get it is online as they are in Dublin,I'm in Limerick.I've ordered from them before but they are a euro dearer than Cahill's.
    Would you try this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Dispenser-Snuff-Bullet-Rocket-Bottles-Original-Sniffe-Rocket-Container-/362870389646?nav=SEARCH

Not your ornery onager

$hit. Nearly completely forgot:

In my early 20s you could go into any newsagent in Dublin suburbia and buy an Airfix kit (always series 1).

Go in nowadays and ask about them and IF you're lucky, the news agent staff might say... " Mmm....Art & Hobby Shop....dunno if that helps"..

Otherwise you'll be given a "if you're not going to buy something..."

In my early 20s you could go into any newsagent in Dublin suburbia and buy an Airfix kit (always series 1).

Go in nowadays and ask about them and IF you're lucky, the news agent staff might say... " Mmm....Art & Hobby Shop....dunno if that helps"..

Loved these as a kid. Used to be a small newsagents in Finglas east that had loads of them and a good few made up and hanging from the ceiling as the owner was big into them.

They are another item that's become an aldi once a year.
    My dad actually bought two for me the last time they had them as he remembered how much I liked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

nthclare wrote: »
    Mick is a gentleman alright, he's well up on the local history and John Donohoe etc

His prices match the mail order stuff from the UK.

Always has a new toy in stock.

Best thing I bought off him was the rapalas max rap, caught huge pollock and the odd bass on them.

Or the savage gear standeels

Staying on topic you can't beat the German sprat, pure old school and goes out far...

Mick has a brand of mackerel feathers in aswell.theyre manufactured in Galway,Connemara I think.theyre only a couple of euro per rig and I guarantee they will outfish any of the fancy glow in the dark rubber rigs.theyre just coloured hen feathers but the mackerel go mad for them.go with the 3oz lead.tight lines to you for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

DubInMeath wrote: »
    I actually saw some in the front window of Guineys on Talbot street around Christmas time.

They are so easy and cheap to make; cannot imagine buying one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

gmisk wrote: »
    A coal scuttle...literally looked at me like I had two heads. I was in a big hardware store btw not topman.

Oh and Milton the disinfectant...no clue

If you mean Milton sterilising liquid, Dunnes Stores have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Ask in one of the newer "cool" bricks and mortar music stores about vinyl or cassette tape and get a blank star or furrowed brow expression.
    This is a very odd post, considering most brick and mortar music stores these days sell vinyl. Even the much disliked Golden Discs sell vinyl.

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Draught excluder. You used to see them all over the place in the 80s and 90s, different designs like ones that’s looked like dogs or whatever.

Recently went to a number of shops and could not find one for love or money.

I have one I got in Lidl two years ago :) in the shape of a sausage dog.

You have to go to likes of Amazon for the Airfixes now. As a young girl was mad on Airfix planes & cats, as an almost 60 year old I must go and treat myself to one again :)

Advertisement