Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What have we come to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭threeball

Strumms wrote: »
    FG are very right wing, this lot particularly so.

I don’t think we’ll see FF roll into bed with SF, too big a risk, SF have fûck all to loose, FF have everything to loose, it would just take one scandal involving SF, and FF will be finished with them...

Right wing my arse. They're as centre as they could get. They'd have done much better if they actually grasped the nettle and moved to the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭tibruit

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have no great allegiance to SF, but can I ask you is there a time limit in your head when IRA atrocities are allowed to be forgotten about when a general election is on and SF are getting votes?

These 2 innocent kids who you pictured who died, should they be brought up in another 10 years, 20 years, 50 years?

Can SF ever run for election and not have these thrown up as a reason NOT to vote for them?

There is a time limit but we haven`t reached it yet. Mary Lou was 26 when the IRA murdered those two children. She became a mouthpiece for murderers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Comments like this about a sizeable percentage of our electorate don't help. They aren't scumbags.

I know a lady who lives near me who spent over 48hrs on a trolley in Saint Vincent's hospital a few months ago. She is nearing retirement and has raised a family and spent the last 15 years working and voting for either FG or FF. I spoke to her recently and she told me she swore to herself when she sat on the trolley her next vote was going to SF. That woman is neither a scumbag or a moron but just another citizen sick of the same old same getting us nowhere.
    She might be a nice old dear. But what you've described is actually a stupid reason for voting SF.

But, indeed, it is a product of the political system not finding a positive path.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Ya, a party with a mixed race gay leader and who brought in abortion legislation, the biggest social housing programme in 40 years, and implemented the Slainte care health programme are rabidly right wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Cupatae wrote: »
    As opposed to what keep FF and FG and keep them taking turns lining there pockets? they have had power since the dawn of time and look at the state of the country,

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/best-countries-to-live-in/

Ireland is in great shape. Full employment etc.

Yes we have legacy issues regarding housing due to the crash and health due to the inability to address inefficiency on the public sector. Oh an every drunk, person with a head cold and child with a splinter showing up at A&E over the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

boetstark wrote: »
    And f you for thinking people should believe SF bullsh*t.
    Borrow more money, tax higher earners, tax the banks, tax tax tax tax
    Sorry you get nothing in life for free. Somebody has to pay for this, free house, free healthcare.
    In the very succ multinational I work for. A lot of the higher earners are considering their futures should SF get in to government
    So sorry if I feel peeved with the prospect of SF in government

Could they be any worse than FF and FG who have held power since the dawn of time, personally im glad to see the D4 and upper classes being rooted out, the upper class will get it and rightfully so! and if they want to go the **** em! they only stay around cause they have it cushy and pay **** all so they ll be no loss.

jjmcclure wrote: »
    http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/best-countries-to-live-in/

Ireland is in great shape. Full employment etc.

Yes we have legacy issues regarding housing due to the crash and health due to the inability to address inefficiency on the public sector. Oh an every drunk, person with a head cold and child with a splinter showing up at A&E over the winter.

If its in such amazing shape why are FF and FG losing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

You'd want to be very left wing thinking to think fg are right wing, we have no left or right main parties in Ireland, we have centre parties who sway slighty one way or the other but are largely similar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The only good about SF is there might now be a direct provision in D4.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

threeball wrote: »
    Right wing my arse. They're as centre as they could get. They'd have done much better if they actually grasped the nettle and moved to the right.

They are quite right of center, they even have multiple members attending YAF conferences, there is nothing center about them...

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Short memories + shorter consciences

bomb_2223487b.jpg

Much shorter memories if you consider the FF bank bailout and disastrous debt passed from the private sector to the taxpayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I don’t think we’ll see FF roll into bed with SF, too big a risk, SF have fûck all to loose, FF have everything to loose, it would just take one scandal involving SF, and FF will be finished with them...

It depends on the numbers. SF have by a mile the highest 1st pref vote, but their low number of candidates means that they may not actually be the largest party when it comes to seats. Given how close it is, it's theoretically possible that FF (or FG) might have a few seats more than SF. I think Martin would suddenly become very interested in talking them then, but I doubt they'd reciprocate.

The best thing for SF is that no government can be formed and we run the election again, but this time they put up 60-70 candidates and become large enough to form a government with Green & smaller left wing parties. Wouldn't be surprised if they aimed for that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭boetstark

Could they be any worse than FF and FG who have held power since the dawn of time, personally im glad to see the D4 and upper classes being rooted out, the upper class will get it and rightfully so! and if they want to go the **** em! they only stay around cause they have it cushy and pay **** all so they ll be no loss.

As I pointed out yes they can be worse. And as you suggested anybody that has bettered themselves in life can root up and leave???
    I earn 105k per year and half of that goes on tax to fund people who want everything free.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

This thread is great the tears of the FF FG arseholes are just so beautiful suck it up lads

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Penn wrote: »
    I don't think people should believe SF bullsh*t. Hell, I don't believe SF bullsh*t. Their policies are unrealistic, unworkable and most of it will be severely pared down or abandoned.

But SF won't have enough seats to be such the majority party that they'll be able to run rampant. Which means for them to be in power, either FG or FF will have to relent and have them as a minority party in their government, or we might get SF propped up with several of the other smaller parties as a large coalition. And after years of the FF/FG back and forth, I think we need to see something else, if for no other reason than to give FF and FG a kick up the bollox so they get their act together.

You would think we were a third world country or something, do ye not realize you are living in one of richest countries in the world? the standard of living here is up there with the best countries in the world.

all this nonsense you hear about all the homeless people in Ireland, a lot of them have mental problems and choose to live on the streets, the others who live in hotels yet keep having kids even though they have no jobs, well thats their own fault for being so stupid.

boetstark wrote: »
    As I pointed out yes they can be worse. And as you suggested anybody that has bettered themselves in life can root up and leave???
    I earn 105k per year and half of that goes on tax to fund people who want everything free.....

Best of luck to them then, we arent benifiting by having them here and we shouldnt be held hostage to keep em here by voting a certain way either, economies go up and down but always rise for the most part,

My heart bleeds for people earning 105k per year and crying about of bit of extra tax, how would you survive on 90 k a year ohhh the humanity! hang on there till i change my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Ya, a party with a mixed race gay leader and who brought in abortion legislation, the biggest social housing programme in 40 years, and implemented the Slainte care health programme are rabidly right wing.
    That's worth thinking about.

We might label it the Margaret Cash factor. You can give her a house and supports worth literally hundreds of thousands, but she'll still probably have the hump and, if she votes at all, will vote for SF.

Yet, she's a product of our society not producing an answer to what's admittedly a very difficult question. What could we colletively do, what policies could our State adopt, that would make Margaret Cash turn out more like, I dunno, Michelle Obama (just picking a reasonably competent human at random)?

Michelle seems to have gotten through life without ever feeling the need to turn up in a police station with a half-a-dozen kids in tow looking for a house. (And then getting one, in case we forget.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

If its in such amazing shape why are FF and FG losing?

Because people are never happy, we live in a buoyant economy, near full employment, a high quality of living, a high life expectancy but parties like sinn fein appeal to the lowest common denominator, people only think we have it bad, while it's no utopia we rank as one of the happiest/successful/wealthiest countries in the world, just because cynthia and her childers can't get a house near her mammy and oisin has to work in spar because he went to college and did an arts degree doesn't mean everyone else has to suffer through a few years of lunatics like sinn fein in power

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Best of luck to them then, we arent benifiting by having them here and we shouldnt be held hostage to keep em here by voting a certain way either, economies go up and down but always rise for the most part,

My heart bleeds for people earning 105k per year and crying about of bit of extra tax, how would you survive on 90 k a year ohhh the humanity! hang on there till i change my vote.

The fact you think someone earning 100k a year comes out with 90k tells me all I need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RonanG86

pgj2015 wrote: »
    You would think we were a third world country or something, do ye not realize you are living in one of richest countries in the world? the standard of living here is up there with the best countries in the world.

The standard of living is up there with the best countries in the world if you have money. And even if you are well off, you might be living in the Dublin commuter belt and thus spend half your working day in your car, never see your kids between Monday to Friday and pay extortionate fees for childcare.

Might surprise you, but not everyone who has a problem with their living arrangements is a layabout alcoholic drug-addled scab with schizophrenia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

billyhead wrote: »
    Sinn Fein topping the polls in many constituencies. I believe in democracy but too vote this crowd in as your number 1
    Lol. I love the taste of west Brit tears

Because people are never happy, we live in a buoyant economy, near full employment, a high quality of living, a high life expectancy but parties like sinn fein appeal to the lowest common denominator, people only think we have it bad, while it's no utopia we rank as one of the happiest/successful/wealthiest countries in the world, just because cynthia and her childers can't get a house near her mammy and oisin has to work in spar because he went to college and did an arts degree doesn't mean everyone else has to suffer through a few years of lunatics like sinn fein in power

Are we living in the same country? we are still on about ireland right? Have you ever been to a mythical place called Limerick hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

The problem with democracy is that every idiot gets a vote. See Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

I'm scared by this. Genuinely. I don't care about their connection to the troubles, it's in the past, but SF policies will ruin the economy. They will without doubt drive investment out of the country.

In all likelihood, FFG will have one more electoral term to address the issues that decided this election. These issues ultimately are based on inequality. I am a strong FG supporter but I would support major, major increases in inheritance tax. This is how you tackle inequality in the long term. Generational wealth has to be redistributed in society. The typical FFG base won't like it but that's the answer to protect the country for the future.

Can't blame populism if you choose to ignore root cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Massive sense of entitlement in this country.

Want all the reward without hard work.

With that kind of logic, you must be a SF supporter... hilarious (in a frightening kind of way).

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

A vote for SF is a vote for the grey tracksuit brigade. They're poison.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Much shorter memories if you consider the FF bank bailout and disastrous debt passed from the private sector to the taxpayers.

Exactly, how many people committed suicide because of the actions of the previous two governments, how many for the cancer scan and were giving wrong results. How many of their mate's pockets have they lined. They're also guilty of recent crimes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭omega man

Some people just don’t want to work hard anymore to achieve a better standard of living. Some want the state to provide this for them. They rightly or wrongly believe SF will deliver this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Criticising people for voting SF when for the last 100 + years gob****es have been continually returning FF/FG?

The tipping point is now and I applaud it.

Advertisement