Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bought off plans - dispute over specs

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

My downstairs 'loo is quite roomy with washbasin and shelfing. House insurance company said for insurance purposes, it's classed as a bathroom. Confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Were the specs specific to your house or were they in a brouchure that applied to all the houses?
    If it's a general description of all the houses then I could see why they say main bathrooms plural. Meaning, 'all the main bathrooms (in this particular type of house), will be tiled.

Very annoying though, and I'm sure plenty of people would assume the same as the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If being pedantic it says main bathrooms and ensuite.

They've tiled 1 bathroom and 1 ensuite

How can there be 1 bathrooms??

Count how many baths then if being pedantic. One and it's the main one.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

IMO you're definitely right to expect it to be tiled. But knowing the industry at the moment many contractors/developers are trying to squeeze every last cent of margin so I'm not surprised. I'd say your best hope is to meet in the middle and ask them to leave the tiles there for you to put down yourself.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Count how many baths then if being pedantic. One and it's the main one.

Both my current house and the place I was before have no bathrooms at all then...

The "main" bit to me suggests they meant only the big/family bathroom (plus the ensuite), but the plural would make nearly everyone assume and expect the small one done too. Its going to cost them very, very little in the grand scheme of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

L1011 wrote: »
    Both my current house and the place I was before have no bathrooms at all then...

The "main" bit to me suggests they meant only the big/family bathroom (plus the ensuite), but the plural would make nearly everyone assume and expect the small one done too. Its going to cost them very, very little in the grand scheme of things.

But would you want it done with poor grace and less attention to detail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Marcusm wrote: »
    But would you want it done with poor grace and less attention to detail?

Doubt the tiler being paid by the hour will care that the developer messed up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Seems quite straightforward. If the house was sold as 3 bathroom (main, en-suite and downstairs) then the reasonable expectation is that all 3 would be tiled unless the brochure specified differently.

I wouldn’t let it slide OP. I’d kick up a fuss unless of course the fine print provides clarity

Advertisement