Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apparently it's Christmas.....

• 28-11-2019 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

Apparently it's Christmas today, people on the radio wishing each other and listenership a happy Christmas. I thought it was the 25th of December?? What's going on?
    Also alot of Christmas lights around the town, and the shops playing Christmas ****. Students wearing Christmas jumpers and drunken stupid fu#kers having Christmas parties. What's going on?
    Could it be some sort of capitalistic plot for making money & consequently devaluing whatever is left of a Christian holy day???
    Not that I give a **** save being bombarded by Christmas type **** until New year's!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

happy xmas dude

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Actually, happy Thanksgiving Day to any Americans here or anyone that celebrates it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Brown Thomas had Christmas stock on sale in August, I kid you not.

I agree that retail outlets are trying to get us punters to spend earlier and earlier for Xmas.

I mean Halloween had not even.been.reachsd on 31st Oct and all retail outlets had their Xmas stock on sale.

People only have a set budget for Christmas , I dont get the mass marketing campaign from the retailers, it's just greed and the real meaning of Xmas is totally forgotten if your a Christian that is.

I’m putting up my tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Macy’s Parade is on TV, turkey in oven, ‘tis the season, for family and friends...

And smashing up other people at 6pm when Black Friday Starts!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

I’m putting up my tree.

Hopefully right up your arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

lalababa wrote: »
    Could it be some sort of capitalistic plot for making money & consequently devaluing whatever is left of a Christian holy day?

Fukem, the holy jo's robbed it from the pagans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Mr.S wrote: »
    Festive season.

Grinch!

It’s not the festive season though.
    That starts the 12th of December.
    Until then,anything at all to do with Christmas can fcuk right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I’m putting up my tree.

Do yeah.put it up in the fcukin attic where it should be until the 12th of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Advertisement

Bah humbug op.

3/10 of a thread.

Go turn on Netflux instead and roar shout at the telly

Get it off your chest.

Bit of an orthodox Christian?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Swerving it all as best I can. It is a marketing construct now both for children and adult children lol.

But I like Christmas just the same, apart from all the unnecessary tat and the latest must haves and the mindless ads and so on. Having a decent family who get on ok, is the best thing though. It is not all about trees and baubles and shyte like that.

Enjoy and pace yourselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why the 12th? The tradition here was always 8th December - Feast of the Immaculate Conception.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

There have been houses with the Christmas decorations up for the past 2 weeks where I live. It's ridiculous, tbh, I kind of wonder about the mental stability of people who do that. I know a lot of people with children like to put the tree up in time for the Toy Show, so maybe they could actually show the Toy Show in December instead of November. There are already huge inflatable snow creatures up in a few gardens as well. I'm just not feeling the whole Christmas vibe this year, then again it's only bloody November.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

kravmaga wrote: »

I agree that retail outlets are trying to get us punters to spend earlier and earlier for Xmas.

I mean Halloween had not even.been.reachsd on 31st Oct and all retail outlets had their Xmas stock on sale.

People only have a set budget for Christmas , I dont get the mass marketing campaign from the retailers, it's just greed and the real meaning of Xmas is totally forgotten if your a Christian that is.
    Some people like to spread out the Christmas costs over several months rather than having to spend a big chunk of money in December. I'm not one of them, but I can see why it can be helpful for people with kids for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Cant be Christmas. No Shane and Kirsty on the radio yet

blueshade wrote: »
    There have been houses with the Christmas decorations up for the past 2 weeks where I live. It's ridiculous, tbh, I kind of wonder about the mental stability of people who do that. I know a lot of people with children like to put the tree up in time for the Toy Show, so maybe they could actually show the Toy Show in December instead of November. There are already huge inflatable snow creatures up in a few gardens as well. I'm just not feeling the whole Christmas vibe this year, then again it's only bloody November.

It’s the unending rain too.

Scarinae wrote: »
    Some people like to spread out the Christmas costs over several months rather than having to spend a big chunk of money in December. I'm not one of them, but I can see why it can be helpful for people with kids for example.

They'd hardly be the clientele in Brown Thomas however.

What a bunch of miserable neck beards. This time next month it'll all be over. Then ye can all get back to listening to Beck and writing your poetry while drinking buckfast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Why the 12th? The tradition here was always 8th December - Feast of the Immaculate Conception.

Well since a lot of us don't believe that the immaculate conception actually happened, then the festivities can begin earlier than that :D

If you have kids who believe in Santy, fair enough.

There are many who don't and it is a free country last time I looked.

Adults who don't have kids loving Christmas are a bit OTT imv. But whatever, each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I watched Klaus last week on Netflix. Nice animated film. Just in time for Christmas! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

The World (particularly Ireland) is full of adult sized children, it gets worse with each passing year, humanity is doomed.

However, feel free to identify as whatever you want and happy non gender specific, non denominational holidays.

Well since a lot of us don't believe that the immaculate conception actually happened, then the festivities can begin earlier than that :D

The question stands: Why the 12th December?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It is a time for giving.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Seen houses done up on 1st November.

I'll be a little late this year all my gear is near 200 miles away....

With work hard to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,758 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

kravmaga wrote: »

Don’t give them a fûcking cent. I don’t really start thinking about it until now, the first of my gifts were bought earlier this week. I was in a shop a while back that had Christmas stuff in the same aisle as Halloween,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Mr.S wrote: »
    But why?

Christmas has always started to creep in late November and then full steam from December. No one's making you do anything!

Yeah go somewhere like the Bahamas.....

• Advertisement

The question stands: Why the 12th December?

Ah give the poster a pass here. Even you quoting the 8th December has no relevance really.

Anyway, no worries. Enjoy the season that's in it in your own way, as I do :P

Advertisement