Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Selling house because of Youth problem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭threeball

rivegauche wrote: »
    Similar situation here:
    Non-social housing in-fill development adjacent to Social Housing which was used by Fingal Co. Co. to contain the dregs of society.
    I was aware of the reputation but went in with a mistaken naive belief in the innate humanity of your fellow man.
    It isn't just what affects you directly. It is hearing of or actually seeing your various decent neighbours assaulted, fights amongst the Scum themselves, constant vandalism, graffiti and low level anti-social behaviour directed toward anyone and everyone. Everything they do is a statement that they "own" the place.
    I was so wrong. I can't even say I was targeted because they made everyone's lives a misery. Sold up, took my loses, don't regret it one bit as peace of mind is worth so much more than financial loss although some people just can't afford to eat the loss and move.

Completely wrong that you go out to work in the morning, probably your partner as well and pay taxes through the nose so these fcuks can stay in bed them rise round 12, rob your house or graffiti your wall and wait around til 3 or 4 in the morning terroring you or robbing tools from the local trademens vans so he now has to try and suck up a 3 or 4k loss and go to work again. Its almost ingrained for us to accept it and if you speak out you're some kind of
    -ist

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Again, its best to ignore complex social issues, as the market will solve it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Sell up as son as possible. No point putting up with that type of scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Find out where they live, pay someone to rob the ***** and trash their place.

Sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

I won't deter you from moving, but you do have options, your local councilor and TD are elected to deal with problems like these, and I know the Gardai seem as useless a chocolate teapot but if they get enough reports they can't sit on their arse, have you spoken to your neighbours about it?
    If you make complaints to the gardai on a regular basis, and inform your local Councillor and TD, they will take action, do you have local safety forum meetings? this is definitely something tha should be brought up there.
    As I said, I won't discourage you from moving, but people shouldn't be forced from their homes because of scummy children, and you might regret it down the line if you think back and didn't exhaust every option before you did.
    My local Councillor was Ruth Coppinger whose grassroots are the families of these anti-socials. I was struck by just how zealous she was in her support of these people come what may. The Council Housing Department Management had given the other Councillors the bleak option; contain the trouble makers here are we will scatter them across the entire electoral area. The Councillors were depressed and could only commiserate. Some of the Councillors although young retired from local politics. special mention to the retired local Sinn Fein Councillor who seemed especially well-meaning
    The Gardai were driving around in the paddy wagon because all the squad cars had been driven off the road by the criminals in best Grand Theft Auto style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Again, its best to ignore complex social issues, as the market will solve it!

The market did "solve it", but then left wing governments interfered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Where you thinking of moving OP?

Can't beat country living

I wouldn't buy in an estate again OP, always a risk and only going to get worse with more scumbags arriving/being born everyday

Something a bit of of the town in County Kildare would be my choice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

A word of warning. Look before you leap, particularly in Dublin. There is council/social housing being slammed up on any scrap of land that becomes available. If you relocate, make sure you are in an area where this can’t happen. It is happening all around me and unfortunately situations like the one you are in are starting to develop.

No, no there isn't. Which is why we have a housing crisis.

No, no there isn't. Which is why we have a housing crisis.
    You are completely out of touch with reality if you believe this and the topic on this thread is anti-social behaviour so please try to keep on topic. If you believe that the Billions that Government has directed toward housing though social house building programs and rental support in the private sector aren't enough then start another thread about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ush1 wrote:

In what way did the market solve complex social issues, and which left leaning governments would that have been?

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »

Which "left wing" government would this be??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

rivegauche wrote: »
    You are completely out of touch with reality if you believe this and the topic on this thread is anti-social behaviour so please try to keep on topic. If you believe that the Billions that Government has directed toward housing though social house building programs and rental support in the private sector aren't enough then start another thread about that.

Are you a mod? No? Then scroll on by. Your post about my post being off-topic is a) longer than my post, and b) continues the "off-topic" discussion, so pot, kettle, black?

Are you a mod? No? Then scroll on by. Your post about my post being off-topic is a) longer than my post, and b) continues the "off-topic" discussion, so pot, kettle, black?
    report my post if you don't like it otherwise stay on topic which is anti-social behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Anti social scrotes and their families should be housed in shipping containers away from the vast majority of decent people in council estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

Absolutely sickening how these little pricks can ruin peoples lives.

Yes i blame the Garda, the government and the courts for being soft As ****e.

But the bigger picture is personal responsibility. If i had a young lad involved in any of this I'd be ashamed and hed be sorted out pretty quickly.

Parents of these vermin is where it all starts, but i suppose they are just spawn of scum themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Be careful that you don't jump from the frying pan into the fire. Unless you're going rural and a single detatched house on its own, you can never guarantee you won't end up experiencing anti-social behaviour. Even rural single dwellings come with their own set of problems.

I think corner houses attract trouble. I grew up in a notorious council estate and the level of anti-social behaviour differed literally road to road! The part of the estate I lived in was very quiet. I eventually moved out, bought my own first house, and ended up with the exact same situation as you are in now only in a private estate. I sold and the next house I bought was only ten minutes from my first house and mid terrace (lesson learned) and I've have had no problems since.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,803 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If you're looking, when you think you've decided on an area, have a quiet chat with the local Garda station (or nearest if none local). They're the best to let you know which areas would be 'safest'. Granted, I was a Garda when I bought mine, but I didn't know the area and asked the local lads. They mention they get quite a few queries like that, so as long as you're not a cnut they might help you out. Or even a sly 'which area do you get the least calls to' kind of question.

Edit: Actually, with GDPR and all that craic, this may no longer be an option...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

You used to be able to have a chat with your local Sinn Fein TD or counsellor and these type of anti social issues would be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Grew up in a corner house in a private estate and we still had stone throwing, graffiti, lads hanging around the walls til midnight etc. You'd go see the parents to ask them to tell their kid to not hang around and they'd swear blind that "my Jimmy doesn't hang around the streets" so this isn't just a council estate problem.

That's just boards ignorance and hatred of non FG voters coming through!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

God knows how long it will take to sell the house, could take 6 months, I want to request with the estate agency we end up going with that they do not put a "For Sale" sign outside the house so no one knows we are moving... We think things will get worse if they see a sign outside the house.

We are looking to move maybe D16, it's not miles away but it's all private, or maybe somewhere in D14. I have always liked these areas and back in the day we did look at buying a house out there but they were much more expensive, I totally understand why now. More then likely when we sell our house, we will have to get another small mortgage to pay the price difference for a house in a nicer area. That's fine with us since we are still relatively young and don't mind paying off another part of a mortgage.

Looking forward to going out and viewing new houses in the new year, our last xmas in this house really makes me happy and buzzy inside. It's great we finally made a decision on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

We were in Fettercairn for 9 years. We had all the problems being described on here. Unlike some posters, I had no problem catching them and throwing digs. It would work for a while and a different gang would come along and start again. We also had her nephew giving hidings to little scumbags.

The reason we threw the keys back in the end was when we realised our daughter hadn't played outside the house in 5 months with all the cars and bikes being rallied day and night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

mondeo wrote: »
    I live in Dublin 24 area, We made a hard decision today that it is in our interest to sell our house for safety and peace reasons.The reason is Youths... Our house is a cornor house and has been the victim of stone throwing, our cars have been damaged in our driveways several times. Have CCTV and security motion activated lights, may aswell have nothing there at all. They don't care, these young lads are all around the place every night of the week, friday and saturday night in particular has become nerve wrecking.. I find myself running to the windows everytime our security lights are triggered to see who is out there. This is no way to live....

All of this has been happening over the past year, maybe a little longer. My partner doesn't want to live in the house anymore and neither do I. It's fine during the day time, after 7pm it's stressing us out. We are contacting an estate agent on Monday morning to get the ball rolling so we can get out of here. It's so sad since the house is all paid for and everything. We don't want to move terribly far because we work pretty close to our house. One thing is for sure, wherever we move to is not going to be anywhere near council estates ! Our house unfortunately is very near a council estate and this is where we believe these little scruffy bastads are spawning from. This could go on for years and years, so we are getting out now.

Sad and depressing post,outlining a sad & depressing situation.

However,not all bad,as the thread has at least allowed you to appreciate that what you are experiencing is a "Complex Social Issue",rather than merely an example of the seedier (and more prevalent) side of Human Nature,so strongly encouraged in modern Ireland.

The cost of solving these social issues,will of course vary with their complexity,and will require ongoing attention throughout the lives of the perpetrators,all paid for through YOUR Social Contributions.

Think Positive ! :)

Now,are you clear on that ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Do extensive research on the area/estate/house you choose. Literally sit in the car at night and observe anything you see. Do this over multiple nights. Look out for evidence of gangs of scrotes, parties, even renters.

Some council tenants can be alright but for the ones that are not it's simply not worth the risk. The council could throw in some complete wasters into the house just because they don't want to be annoyed by them/councillors on their behalf anymore.

Developers have to give a percentage of housing over as part of Part 5 obligations, but they can give houses in another estate in lieu of these - i.e they can keep an "exclusive" development out of the hands of the council. So the most common thing you see is 20%-40% estates, and this is where the problem grows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

pablo128 wrote: »
    We were in Fettercairn for 9 years. We had all the problems being described on here. Unlike some posters, I had no problem catching them and throwing digs. It would work for a while and a different gang would come along and start again. We also had her nephew giving hidings to little scumbags.

The reason we threw the keys back in the end was when we realised our daughter hadn't played outside the house in 5 months with all the cars and bikes being rallied day and night.

Careful with that, although that's proper order for them. Some idiot judge will decide you could have just talked to them.
    He said the proper approach would have been to speak to the boys in a peaceful manner, and if that didn’t work, to call the gardaí.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/man-who-fractured-boy-s-skull-with-hurley-gets-extra-two-years-in-jail-1.4048012

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

I am always ragging on Ireland, but I think you ahould consider moving for a decade. The 'homeless' industry is going to take the piss for a while. I'm in a village in Somerset and the worst we see are local lads robbing apples from the orchard and throwing them at windows occassionally. Don't waste your time in a city either, go rural.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The OP's story is pretty much exactly the experience we had at home for years.

Corner house, cars damaged, windows smashed, crap thrown over the wall into the garden, abuse, harassment.. All despite CCTV and all from little scumbags who the local Gardai (useless and not exactly spotless themselves over the years) would do nothing about, nor would the council.

It continued with each new generation of scum and the only real difference to the OP was mam was sick and unemployed and renting the house from the council herself, so no option to sell up and move.

But definitely get out OP. Your life will be made a complete misery the longer you're there and the more the scum realise that, the worse it'll get.

Put the house up quietly if that is even possible, remove the cameras and the lights (don't want to put off buyers even more and as you say, they're not helping anyway) and be prepared to think about the bigger picture when it comes to considering offers.

Best of luck mate. I genuinely hope you can get out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,353 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

If you're looking, when you think you've decided on an area, have a quiet chat with the local Garda station (or nearest if none local). They're the best to let you know which areas would be 'safest'. Granted, I was a Garda when I bought mine, but I didn't know the area and asked the local lads. They mention they get quite a few queries like that, so as long as you're not a cnut they might help you out. Or even a sly 'which area do you get the least calls to' kind of question.

Edit: Actually, with GDPR and all that craic, this may no longer be an option...

Take drive round the area at evening and on weekends. See if scallywags are hanging around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

A few others have said this, if you can, get out of the city, its turning into an absolute dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Similar situation here OP. Corner house in a new private estate(with 30% social housing). Council moved Knackers in next door a few months after we bought. We sold up within a year before it was too late. Devastating but I wasn’t paying mortgage for 35 years while surrounded by a future of Hell.

-Estate agents weren’t very forth coming sharing any information about council house allocations.
    -We figured 10% advertised wouldn’t have a massive affect, turned out this figure was closer to 30%, we had 3 in a row attached to us, 5 in a row behind us. And this pattern was continued throughout the estate.
    -took a risk not taking a prejudice view on social housing but the gamble didn’t pay off.

Back saving for 20% deposit now to buy 2nd hand home - a bit more wiser.
    That's a huge problem in itself. Your not allowed criticise these people or your classist or looking down your nose at the less fortunate :rolleyes: There was a thread recently enough where the op asked if people would live next to people on social welfare and the op got some amount of bashing. It might not be pc to say it and I know not even one on the social is a scumbag but as this thread shows, there's enough of them out there to ruin otherwise good estates. The problem is the courts. They are way too lenient on this type of behaviour and there's little the Gards can do.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

When is RTE going to do a social climate special and have the scroates all on the late late.
    Maybe we can invite these young scroates into the Diall to tell us all what to do as well.

Advertisement